Klimax Radikal

:grinning:

Ok, i’ve Just done the reset on my Radikal in original case, but have a query as well as my observations. After the reset are you supposed to wait 20 odd minutes for the deck/spin to recalibrate before critical listening? Anyway comments below are from the off (immediately after reset) and over following hour or so, still going now.

Most noticeable for me is that treble became slightly more pronounced and that this has had the effect of improving perceived definition and dare I say ‘drama’ to the music. Certainly an involving sound, but it was anyway. Despite my comments above I haven’t heard any change over the last hour since reset.

I would be interested in others experiences.

1 Like

It’s in the user manual, but it doesn’t mention the reset -
maybe it’s meant to be dealer only information. Linn provided me with the info via my dealer as I was doing a comparison of Akurate vs Klimax PSU and was advised to do the reset when swapping them over. It’s also meant to be done if replacing the motor, which again Linn probably regard as dealer only information-

The enhanced setting gives a -25db mute to the Ulrika Phono stage (if being used) whilst changing records. Not sure what the benefit of that is.

So to clarify my earlier comment, once the reset has been done, select enhanced if one wants the mute function with the Ulrika, select Normal if using as a motor PSU only.

https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Manuals_-_LP12_Power_supplies

Hope this helps

1 Like

That’s great, thank you for the explanation

Hi everybody
My Radikal is an original accurate case
I purchased it 7 years ago
It powers the motor and Urika
New belt 3 years ago
I checked the start up
33 =11seconds
45= 12 seconds
After reset on first start up
33 =26 seconds uh oh what have I done !
Second start up
33= 6 seconds
45= 6seconds PHEW😅
One example in my system
Shelby lynn just a little lovin 45 rpm
Playing the title track I have always felt halfway through there was a slight mistracking on vocals
And the bass could get a little overpowering
Not now ! Sounds superb
Bass guitar with real detail and vocals are sublime no hint of any instability and the gentle high hat shimmers
So more stability and control are the benefits for me in my system which allows the music to flow more freely
Thanks Peter your hunch works for me!
a nice free upgrade
All the best
Tony

1 Like

My Radikal speeds up to 33 rpm after the reset in about 6s as well. Interestingly, on the reset only the red LED on the deck illuminated, not the green one.

I’m noticing increased cohesiveness and detail on old jazz recordings, especially cymbals, bongos and hi-hats. Art Taylor’s hi-hat foot mechanism now clearly audible, which I hadn’t previously heard.

Both my green and red lit up
Do you have a urika?
I wonder if that makes a difference just a thought
:+1:

No, no Urika on my set up, I use Superline.

I did try quite a few repeated presses of the Hot Button but it made no further difference. Pretty happy with the effect of this free upgrade though.

Mute between record plays to give the stylus a clean perhaps?

2 Likes

I always understood it to be specifically for that purpose - to avoid a thump when setting the stylus down at the start of a side. Personally I just use the mute button on the pre-amp (282) for this purpose.

Blockquote Mute between record plays to give the stylus a clean perhaps?

Yes, I don’t use the Urika mute feature either as I prefer to use the one on the remote or preamp :call_me_hand:

Thanks for feedback so far guys.

KR

Peter

I never mute when changing records or wiping the stylus, which I do after every side.
I like to hear as well as see what I’m doing to avoid mishaps.

Did that reset today. My radikal akurate is from 10.2018.

Start time before reset
33 rpm: 6s
45 rpm: 14s

After resetting
33 rpm: 16s
45 rpm: 15s

Interestingly, I’ve always had the feeling that the stereo image moved slightly to the left with the upgrade from L4 to RA. Did everything to solve it, but I failed. But after the reset everything is fine! Strange that. Slightly better transparency and bass extension after reset.

Some say Radical Klimax is better, so I’ll get a homedemo soon to sort it out.

Regarding the slow start up to optimum speed, I noticed this with both an L4 and Radikals.
I was using a brand new Linn belt from an old supply that I had. However my dealer advised that the belts have changed since with the newer belts being slightly different. When my new Klimax Radikal arrived I noticed that the current Linn belt felt different, it appeared to have a less smooth finish with what could be described as being a bit like a microscopic car tread. Difficult to describe unless you have both belts in your hand to compare but definitely different.

And even better sounding than before!

1 Like

Yes for sure.
Thing is I now have a few of the older belts brand new.
Maybe I could sell them on to users of older Linn motor PSU’s, pre L4.

:thinking:

I had a demo of Klimax Radikal today. Some users report that the Klimax Radikal is better than the Akurate Radikal even though it uses the same boards. We first played a few tracks (Anne Dudley plays art of noice and Yuko Mabuchi Trio) to give my dealer an impression of how the system sounds. The AR was then replaced and right from the beginning it was very clear the KR is better! It gives the music something substantial, like an almost natural experience, which is very well heard with piano music.

As it is his demo Radikal we did a reset after a couple of tracks. As described above, this affects the highs and lows very well.

A new Klimax Radikal in black is ordered and the friendly dealer lets me use his demo KR until the modification will be done. Unfortunately he is now on vacation …

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.