Kudos 606

Thanks, yes, I’ve seen a few photos where the Kudos speakers look quite close to a wall.

Is this the oak finish? Looking stunning.

I did try them really close when I started experimenting with positioning and just found it made the bass too thick - Not boomy, but just indistinct and woolly. It’s not really surprising as they’re not a boundary design like the SL2 / SBL which are designed to be placed against a wall.

I use mine 7” out from the back wall (and they are well away from any corners) which I’ve found works best in my room. I gave it a couple of weeks to get used to them before moving them around to their final position but even so, for the bass they can produce, they’ve been very forgiving of positioning.

Great speakers, so well worth demoing :+1:

15 Likes

Thanks James - that’s interesting information.

I drive mine with a 250DR as well, albeit with a 252/SCDR.

The 250Dr drives them amply (no pun intended).
I wont listen to a 300DR as I dont have room for an additional unit.

1 Like

Looks superb Andy.

1 Like

Yes, oak finish. The demo pair I had for a month were walnut, which were also lovely. I bought oak as they match my rack and room furnishings and doors.

1 Like

Thank you Lindsay. I do like them very much and they will probably be as much speaker as I will ever need (famous last words!!).

1 Like

That is the case with me Neil, as @Stu299 points out. I experimented at length with the demo pair I had, and settled at 6 inches from the back wall, which seemed optimal to my ears. The company are based in County Durham (as am I) and when I contacted them originally with a query, I got a very helpful response from the MD of Kudos himself. I like that sort of thing in this day and age.

2 Likes

Alan did you upgrade the 252 from a 282 by any chance? If so, what was the impact, in sound quality terms, with the 606’s?

Thanks for the comments Andy. That’s useful to know. I like the look of the Titan speakers, but really I could do with a boundary design (I currently have SBLs) so perhaps Titans might not suit.

2 Likes

Yes… The Kudos 606’s were originally paired with 282/SCDR. From the outset the intent was to upgrade to 252 (as I already had SCDR - a worthwhile intermediate step on the way to 252),
However I did them seperately (252 two months after 606’s) so that I could better appreciate the impact of 252.

For me the 252 seperates out the individual parts of the musical performance more clearly, and everything is more precisely defined within the soundstage. By comparison the 282 is more fuzzy (thats relative, not a denigration of the 282 which is a fine Pre).

But you should listen to the 252 at home, ideally over a few days if you can, before putting the 282 back in and making the final decision. The 252 is not to everybody’s taste. Some find it a little restrained compared to 282. I understand their point, but I love the extra clarity/reality that the 252 brings.

2 Likes

I had the same thing when I spoke to Derek at Kudos he was extremely helpful regarding choice of finish.

1 Like

Thank you Alan. Whilst I’m some way off a potential upgrade, your insight is most useful. I’m just glad my wife doesn’t read this forum…

1 Like

Lol - my wife doesnt either, although she does help to finance the hifi purchases. I’m very lucky and grateful.

1 Like

I started my Naim journey 4 years ago at 202/200DR with PMC speakers. Here I am 4 years later at 252/300DR with Kudos 606.

Kudos Titan + Naim = a great combo

Enjoy your new purchase. I used to live just 3 miles from where Kudos are based in County Durham so was delighted to support a small business from the area. Derek is a wonderfully accessible designer and CEO. As others have said, that makes a big difference to us audiophiles looking to understand every last detail of our pride & joy purchases.

4 Likes

Remember to turn off the e-mail alerts from the Forum!

4 Likes

Top tip to test your 606s out and understand their full capability = go on to Tidal and select the Kudos playlist they created for the Bristol hifi show a couple of years back. The 28 tracks have been chosen to show off their speakers.

It is awesome.

7 Likes

Quboz too?

Couldn’t find it on Tidal. Can’t see that it brings up anything other than tracks, albums etc :thinking: