Kudos KS1 speaker cable

Ok - that may do it for me. Too many forum “veterans” are singing the praise for Kudos cable.

Yes - I was going to email you a while back. I recently purchased the new Vertere Redline XLR cable for my Headphone station. I am really impressed with it. Are you still running their cables from years ago?

Sounds like I may need to email Mr. Swain and get some KS1 cables sent over

Oh, yes, I have hand built Vertere cables through the Roksan TT and an XLR between 552 and 500. It’s very open, detailed and dynamic…

Certainly get a demo of the Kudoa cable Greg, I think you would enjoy it.

With the KS1 into Naim amps, does the minimum 3.5 metre length ruling still apply ?

Also, I understand using Naim speaker plugs at amp end and their solder/ plugs at the speaker end is pretty essential too, to extract the best performance in a Kudos/Naim amp set up , right?

The reason why I asked is I remember PB being somewhat underwhelmed with the KS1 when he bought an actual pair and it wasn’t fitted with Naim plugs at both ends. The demo pair had them fitted.

Yes, I was underwhelmed. Thats because I had the Chord terminations on the end. The result was a limp, lifeless pair of cables.

I am sure plenty of other terminations work but I am not prepared to do the testing. I am very happy with what I have now.

1 Like

No, because Kudos have not published the inductance & other specs on the cable we can’t be sure of any of this.
The minimum 3.5m length as per Naim recommendation relates to NACA5 cable with 1uH inductance per metre, what they are actually recommending is a 3.5uH inductance load.

I use Chord Odyssey, which is similar in many respects to KS1 in its construction & materials.
I measured that & found it was 0.6uH/m. This means it would need to be 5.8m long to be 3.5uH overall. I have 5m per side.
But I suspect 3.5m of KS1 or the similar Chords will be perfectly OK, it will not damage anything fore sure but might sound best with a longer length.

1 Like

Hi Mike,
Joining the question of one of the friends earlier, is this cable also suitable for OLIVE series amplifiers, which are less forgiving of cables with different resistance?

1 Like

Hi Ditton66 I doubt KS1 will be detrimental to any Naim amp providing it has a length that gives something around the required Naim recommended inductance & capacitance is not excessive. Problem we have is as yet no one has published it’s specs, so hard to be that specific.

1 Like

I’ve got KS-1 in both my systems now, replaced much more expensive Townshend Isolda DCT that I had used for years and was very happy with.

System 1 is Densen based and into Guru Q10’s Mk1’s, System 2 is Naim (CDx2-2/SN3/HCDR) and at the time Guru QM10 mk2’s but now Kef LS50 metas.

In both systems the effect was identical, they just conveyed more texture and delicacy than the Townshend they replaced whilst still keeping the timing.

From a value for money standpoint think its a stunning cable, the Townshend for the same lengths would be at least 3-4 x the cost.

3 Likes

Thanks for that insight, I’d look at evaluating them on a Supernait 3 so your comments are of particular interest. I’m currently using 2x 4m lengths of NAC A5 and whilst it’s “tried and tested” I do find the cable a pain to tame and given the broadly positive views on what the KS-1 brings to the system presentation and it’s modest cost It has me interested enough to take a serious look at it.
I’d imagine going for the same 2x 4m lengths of KS-1 is a sensible choice.

It was all the talk of the need for the right lengths with Naim that got me to try the KS-1, plus that many said the Townshend was a no-no. I ordered 2 x 4M with Naim connectors. Think I went with 3M lengths in the Densen system.

I had two lots of the Townshend as I was bi-amping in the Densen system into B&W805’s before they were replaced by the Gurus, so couldn’t bi-amp anymore, my daughters starter system is now the beneficiary of the Townshend, which is only slightly less in cost then her entire Rega P1, Project amp and AE100 speakers…

I did contact Max Townshend about all the not on naim and he came back with a very full explanation that the current version of the cable (the one with the junction boxes either end) compensates for what he considers shoddy engineering by Naim. I’ve always found him to be very forthright in a couple of exchanges, which I actually appreciate as he knows a world more about this stuff than I do. He did later contact me to point to a whitepaper they published that shows scientifically that their cable design and approach is amongst the best.

So the Ks-1 had the might of a load of heavy material to contend with as I swapped in and out but in my systems it just reveals more than the Townshend. I haven’t actually tried the Townshend with the Kef Ls50 Metas and now that is in the back of my head but I think I’ll save the angst and leave the KS-1 in situ.

I use the Townshend interconnects in the Densen and up until the KS-1 nothing had ever come close from a cable perspective so I do rate them, just bettered by the KS-1 in my environment to my ears.

1 Like

Thanks for that, always good to hear of some actual hands on experience. Worse case I can always swap the NAC A5 back in should it not be to my liking. I’ve not seen much mention on this thread suggesting “tried it, hated it, got my money back” so that’s an encouraging start point!
I did refer back to the Supernait 3 user guide to refresh my memory and that just reminded me how vague their guidance is.
Some Naim amplifiers are designed only to work with Naim loudspeaker cable and using alternatives may degrade the performance or even damage the amplifier. Other Naim amplifiers can be used with any high quality loudspeaker cable although we recommend that Naim loudspeaker cable is used.
OK, that’s fine, but which type is a Supernait 3 in that case!

Most the reviews I’ve seen on Naim amps in last few years refer to the newer ones being more stable with other cables and in particular I’ve seen a few reviewers who use the Townshend with Naim, but that is circa SN1 onwards date time wise.

Can’t remember where but recall something saying that the KS-1 presented a naim friendly load.

I had no issue with either.

Just moved the 606’s back to the wall a tad…amazing what difference an inch can make…bass is better defined…happy :+1:

5 Likes

I finally have some KS-1 on its way to try out.
For anybody using 808s, I discovered recently that the bridge wires are not made from KS-1… you may want to consider that if you are using KS-1 as speaker cable!

Just about to order the same cable for my 606. Let us know how you get on.

It would be interesting to know what alternatives are available for the links.

I will report back on the difference they make - run in starts Friday, so should have an idea next week

1 Like

The whole appeal of KS-1 for me is to have a single, consistent (as far as possible) cable from power amp to the drivers. Hence getting the KS-1 jumpers made up also.