Kudos KS1 speaker cable

Are you local to Signals James out of curiosity? They are also my dealer on a slightly remote basis :+1:t3: ATB Peter

Hi Peter - Unfortunately not. I think I’m closer to you than I am to Signals !

We expect a full report! :slight_smile: what are they replacing?
In the last few weeks I have tried Music and Superlumina and now using QED whilst waiting to try KS-1… at least the 808s will be well and truly run in by then, removing one variable from the equation. Now at 480 hours and getting better all the time :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll report back in a few days. All good so far apart from it looks like my speakers are wired up with 3A mains cable from B&Q :flushed: Very neat though, nice and flexible and easy to dress tidily.

Glad to hear your 808s are settling in nicely. What did you think of the Music cable ? IIRC, @Dave uses these between his 500 and 606s

Music is undoubtedly a fabulous cable in the right system. Brings a lot of detail, depth, air, but ultimately didn’t work out for me. I like my SL interconnect though, I may well just end up going SL cable and jumpers (yet to try both together) but the KS-1 appeals also to have that consistent link right from the 500 to the 808s. I look forward to your findings !! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Which sounded better KS1 or WH?

1 Like

The WH brought a fuller and immediate ‘slam/punch’ to the sound, which I like…more like my previous SL cable…more Naim like…

The KS-1 seemed more ‘delicate’…not as full bodied…however, overall a really nice detailed sound and very ‘listenable’ (non-fatiguing)…

Next week I will put the KS-1 back in and contrast again after listening to the WH for a week…

Both are very credible choices, with, IMHO different sound presentations, a matter of personal taste…see what next week brings…

4 Likes

Hi Robbo, not tempted to keep the QED?

I am quite pleasantly surprised by how well the qed fares… it has great extension, energy, and seems to combine the pluses of SL and Music… but it lacks a little refinement, probably not quite up to 500 level kit. I am hoping KS1 pulls off a similar trick but with the added refinement. Derek uses KS1 for shows etc, so I’m anticipating that it must be pretty good… I am hoping it works out. And I do like the idea of speaker cable / speaker synergy that comes from a single type of cable right the way to the speaker driver.
Having said that I am definitely seeing the benefits of mixing and matching cables to tweak the system, so if qed ended up being the best solution I’d stick with it.
I will say that the Kudos speakers are so transparent that it is quite easy to tweak their sound by playing with these variables.
BTW I have Chord epic on the 606s which seems to work pretty well with the olive kit.

Thanks Robbo, which QED are you using? I have a set of XT40 for my integrated based system and Naca5 for the 300DR based system.

It is XT400. I bought around 10 yrs ago with a naim uniti (when I unsuccessfully tried to reduce box count!)

I’ve had KS-1 feeding my Titan 606s for 3 months now and there’s no going back (they replaced WH Phantom which, in turn, replaced Chord Epic Twin last year).

No more speaker cable for me. My 252/300DR love ‘em.

Buy with confidence.

5 Likes

Good to know that the XT400 can compete with the likes of SL and Music. We do not read much about QED on the forum, maybe they are too affordable!

Sorry Bigboy but who claimed that?

I guess one could read it like that

That’s how I read it.

Sorry, lesson to one self ‘must read more diligently’. I am a strong believer in the fact, that every level of kit has its own level of cabling as above quote states. Over and above ‘ there is no such thing as a free lunch’, clearly some people prefer the signature of the KS1 opposed to say SL here (gazza and PB springs to mind). Surely that’s got to be a win win, as the price of my 2x7 metres run of SL would be somewhat astronomical now. Enjoy Peter

2 Likes

Got hold of some Sarum T speaker cable to try - lovely synergy with the 808s, music is very dynamic, fast, and very much in the naim vein of a snappy mid range. After admittedly only a few hours of listening, I am finding this is a much better match than any of the other cables I have listened to so far. I’ll keep listening :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Flip Robbo, just checked price :flushed: Enjoy Peter

I was very reluctant to even try this cable as I had tried Sarum back some 5 yrs ago and was not impressed. But the « T » seems to make all the difference - this is the most balanced cable I’ve had in my system yet, whilst bringing that zest that hi-fi often seems to forget in its strive for accuracy, transparency and all those nice things. This just sounds right, especially with the music interconnect (does not seem to mix well with the SL interconnect). Also changed the jumpers in the 808s which brings a nice improvement. So far so good…

1 Like