Kudos KS1 speaker cable

Yes. Too early to really say how KS-1 compares, but I found SL to have a really great communicative midrange and lovely snap to drums etc, but slightly narrow/small soundstage, and what I can only call a slightly wooden bass, and a somewhat « cold » presentation. Does the timing thing wonderfully but I can get that below 500 level kit, so I felt it sold the 552/500 short. Not for me unfortunately, despite its strengths. It is fun though! :partying_face:
The KS-1 so far is a little more sophisticated in presentation and definitely more neutral vs SL. Early days though. Need a few more days to draw meaningful conclusions…

2 Likes

I had a full SL loom on demo, it did not work for me. A mixture of Witch Hat Morgana interconnects and the Kudos KS1 works for me. There is great advice on what to buy and try….please try in your own room. If you cannot…at least KS-1 is an affordable mistake.
If i have heard SL many times……sounding outstanding……but not my room and system.

3 Likes

I need to investigate these witch hat cables. So many choices :slight_smile:

2 Likes

KS-1 is indeed used in the 808s internals, but strangely enough (IMO) it is not used for the jumpers. Although if you are using an older pair yours may be wired with Chord internally.

2 Likes

Lovely bass textures this morning :slight_smile:

KS-1 continues to improve - dynamics and mid opening up a bit. Now at 40hrs.
Very good so far. Hoping the mid opens up just a tad more.
Just listening to Billy Cobham - In Search Of Snoopy. Intro drums have beautiful snap, but what’s more an air around the snare which has hitherto been absent. Transparency reigns supreme :+1:

2 Likes

Give it a few months Robbo, in the meantime just sit back and enjoy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So as good as the KS-1 is, it didn’t work out for me. Well, it might have done had I not also had Music on hand at the same time. Another budget I know, but Music just gets me closer, well, to the music :slight_smile:
I still don’t quite get it, given that the final cable to the drivers is KS-1, but the difference that the different speaker cables make is pretty staggering. These speakers are so transparent that this has been a difficult choice as these cables are all so different, but each with their own strengths. BUT ultimately the Music cable, in this system at least, brings a sense of life and emotion that none other have matched. Expensive choice, but one which makes the whole system come together and elevates the experience to a new level. My search is over :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Hi @KJC, I’ve been reading this KS-1 thread and wondered if you did get round to trying the KS-1 cable against the Mogami cable and, if so, what you thought of it?

I’m interested as I currently use the Mogami cable.

What Mogami cable do you use at the moment Neil ?

James, it’s Mogami 2972, which I prefer to NACA5.

Hi Neil,
I’m afraid I haven’t …
Sadly, my system has still not yet got a permanent home as our new house refurb (and listening room) isn’t finished. In the past 2 months the system has been pushed into the corner of the one-up, one-down cottage in the garden, (normally an Airbnb rental) that we’ve been hiding out in. I’ve only twice managed to wheel the speakers out (literally, thanks to the castors on the Obelisks) for an evenings listen. Not the ideal circumstances for comparing the cables unfortunately.
I’m hoping to be in my new listening room sometime in February and I’ll be ordering a set of KS-1 shortly after that. Meanwhile, the Mogami 2972 still sounds pretty awesome on the rare occasions that I’m getting to hear it. :blush::musical_score:

Thanks for the response. I fully understand - we’ve been carrying out home improvements over the past few months and it is only this week I’ve been able to put the system back together. KS-1 seems very popular amongst forum members (especially with Kudos speakers) but I’ve noticed it being used by some forum members with other speakers as well. Given its reasonable cost, I may give it a go.

2 Likes

My NAP200 was connected to my Kudos X3’s using NACA5, very happy with the sound. I loaned the KS1 cables from Cymbiosis, only a few miles from me, tried it for a couple of weeks, then went back to NACA5. When I went back the sound was noticeably less 3D and poorer top end, although the NACA5 did have a better bass extension I thought, I called to place an order and said goodbye to the loan cable. I rang cymbiosis earlier today, I guess Peter Swain will be doing a worldwide, well organised, world tour when the CV lockdowns are done with.

1 Like

Hi James…Happy New Year to you!

I have just received my 2x5m KS-1 speaker cables. I had Naim plugs put on the 300 ends. Do they need to burn in? :thinking:

Morning David - Happy New Year to you too. I can’t say I noticed that much of a change from new. I think the only cables I’ve really noticed a change in sound over a few days was a pair of original TQ black speaker cables I owned quite a few years back.

How are you finding your new cables ?

Hi James
Nothing jumping out at me at the moment. To be fair, my 606’s are not in their ideal position. Too close to the Ikea Besta unit.
We are having some serious renovations to our bungalow, which will give us a bigger front room…with a gas fire! :smiley: The 606’s will go either side, and be able to pull away from the back wall up to 60cm if need be.

Until then, I’ll just enjoy the music.

7 Likes

I find the 606 work best fairly close to the wall, from memory mine are around 25cm maybe a touch more. I also have the black ash, and yours look great next to the white TV unit

1 Like

Thank you @Stu299

At the moment they are 65cm from the back wall, due to a fireplace, which we are having ripped out to make the room wider. If I pushed them back now, the white unit would be in front of them.
Funnily enough, this the first time I’ve used the speaker grills. I kinda like them.:+1:

Hi David, it sounds like you’ll have plenty of flexibility to experiment with positioning once the work is done. Good luck with all the renovation work :+1:

1 Like