Kudos KS1 v DIY Mogami w3104 speaker cable (kudos speaker owners might want to take a look)

Yet the audio signal isn’t, it’s AC :thinking:

I’ll try it see what it sounds like which I guess is the ultimate test. At least I am sure that I have the best possible connection, otherwise it’s difficult to be sure that both wires are equally pushed home in the plug before tightening the securing screw. This way I am certain. I can’t see any other Pomona plugs that offer a better connection.

Those stacked plugs wouldn’t fit in my Arcs unless I dug a hole in the floor. Perhaps there is much more space under the Obs?

They do fit ok but maybe better to use the 1330s at the Obelisk end? I’ll give John a call tomorrow see what he thinks. The other option might be to hacksaw off the funnel that the wire protrudes out of to be sure that both wires are soundly secured. Just seems a bit of a bind to do that when the plugs are designed to be stacked…

I used these, 4PCS Viborg VB401G Audio Pure Copper Gold Plated Banana Plug Speaker Cable Plug, they do them in 3 different coatings.
You can also get spade connections that are large enough

I’d be very interested in what John says @pslosarc . I’ve just bought a set of those plugs, but I was counting on putting 2 in each and just having a single plug at each end. If John says your arrangement is correct then I’ll order up another set.
Thanks,
Kevin

So John also mentioned the 5406 plugs which are identical to the 4897’s but without the protrusion so may be better for the Obs end of the cable. I will use the 4897’s at the amplifier end and the 5406’s for the Obs. I have already tried them and there is no problem with clearance and the movement of the Obs.

1 Like

I was too KJC but practically its not doable IMO…

OK so just spoken with John, he suggests using a 4mm drill to increase the size of the hole to try and get both wires into the single plug, but agrees its a challenge and has destroyed some at shows using this method. Stacking is OK (uses this approach with Diapaisons due to their layout - not sure why he didn’t go into detail) but it adds another connection in the chain. Ive ordered 5406’s for the Obs end and will try this first before looking at more expensive banana plugs. Isn’t this pioneering stuff fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

As said already you can easily get fittings that will take 2 cables in with no messing about. No drilling, etc.
I have posted above the ones i used

I know, I saw that Dunc, thanks for posting that I will go there next but its s step up in cost. Now I’ve got the Pomona plugs might as well try them see what they sound like given they’re cheap as chips. If they beat the Phantoms which to my ears better NacA5 then that makes a statement (small s).

Dunc how have you found the quality of the Viborg VB401G’s. I ask because this from an Amazon customer review of same…

“When securing wires several screws strip out and just spin. Torque was not excessive when I attempted to secure wires. For the price this should not happen”

Deleted, please remove.

Absolutely fine and i did mine up tight, very tight actually

1 Like

I don’t see that on my cables sheath, maybe they changed the lettering? I could always follow the direction of the text as the assumed direction of amp to speaker flow…

1 Like

Sorry, that’s what I meant by script. All the lettering should read in the direction of the signal flow, so the first letter ‘M’ in ‘Mogami’ is nearest the amp.

3 Likes

Can you point me in the direction of your info for the direction of the mogami w3104 cable please.
As i asked as i couldn’t find the info, and I was told it wasn’t direction. If you want, try it both ways, and go with best if you hear any.

It’s been a common practice if there aren’t any directional indicators to use the speakers with the writing towards the speakers. Also as a practical matter if you do it that way and you take the wires off you’ll know which direction it was broken in. That’s assuming one believes in cable break in

Well, that doesn’t mean it’s directional does it.
As said was told it didn’t matter, and if you wanted to try it different ways, then go for it.

But as far as saying it should be this way, then no. As for common practice, then again that means nothing here.
As i said i asked, i looked and couldn’t find anything, so do as you please looks like the answer here, unless anyone has any further information rather than just what they think.

They are the same quality:
Same insulation
Same 0.12mm Neglex OFC copper base wires
2792 = 7 bundles of 26 wires for each conductor
3104 = 7 bundles of 50 wires for each conductor

Just different number of strands giving different conductor areas.
See mogamicable .com : category/bulk/speaker_cable/conventional_configuration/

2 Likes