Kudos Super20 vs. 505 vs. 606 audition

I better not try 505s then… :grin: Not just yet…

1 Like

Sounds like some confusion over the distinction between passive bi-amping and active?

1 Like

Interesting. Why? :slight_smile: My mind is set for active be-amping… from 282 to Snaxo 242 that separates highs from mids/lows into two separate 250DRs, one powering tweeters, the other mid/bass drivers… I understand this is much, much better setup vs. passive with no Snaxo. The signal is split before it is dealt with by the NAPs, not after… No practical knowledge yet, but it looks very right that way. :slight_smile:

What you describe is active crossover operation, not bi-amping, which is very different. Naim amps are great in active mode, not so great in bi-amp mode.

So you are doing the right thing.

Remember you need a power supply for the SNAXO.

1 Like

As he’s using two amps that sounds like biamping to me! Just that it’s active biamping rather than passive. Not that we need to get too hung up on semantics 😵‍💫

2 Likes

Thank you NigelB. Thank you ChrisSU. Great to know, even if this is just semantics with no effect on SQ :grin: … And I would need to blame the old good Naim for the confusion. Technology & Craft info for Snaxo says: “The SNAXO 242 can be used in bi-amplified systems with two stereo amplifiers…”.

Sorry if not the right thread for such question, but it is interesting for me if the choice between HiCap and SuperCap will have the same scale of effect on Snaxo performance as in case of a preamp. This is after all a different piece of electronics, so logically, the expected scale of improvement with SuperCap vs HiCap could be bigger, lower, or the same… :thinking:

I am not an active expert but I have read in these pages that the use of a SuperCap on the SNAXO gives a considerable uplift. Maybe those who have had direct experience might chime in.

1 Like

I cannot remember what change going from a hicap to supercap on my snaxo made (the 300s were converted to dr at the same time, and the 555 non dr ps on my NDS was replaced by 555dr so too many other changes at the same time anyway), but I was told that the snaxo is the most power hungry of all devices and that it was a very big improvement. Cannot remember who it was who said that, I am afraid

1 Like

If you add up the cost of going active with a super cap, it would cost more than a upgrade to a Kudos 606 maybe it’s worth trying what active S20’s would be like vs passive 606.

I have the 606s and bi-amp them with 2x 250, pre-amp is 282 with Snaxo 242.

One of the best decisions that I have made.

1 Like

What was the decision you made?

Thank you formelyknownasMoog. So many paths and possibilities! :slight_smile: I definitely want to try active. Once in a lifetime. :grin: Would also like to enjoy the S20 for some time, as they come so fantastic in my setup. Will look for the opportunities to audition 606 though… They could be easily adopted at some point in future. I believe, the Snaxo would just need to be readjusted.

2 Likes

Thanks DiggyGun. Great to have your reassurance. :slight_smile:

They finally arrived! Sound amazing :metal::+1:

9 Likes

Would you mind expanding a little.

Don’t forget to update your profile.

It’s always hard describing sound, it’s like describing wine…
I would say they sound like the band or musician is in the room with you. All the instruments sound very “real” or “live” but also put together so that sum is greater than their parts. Iv found myself playing more classical music. Old classical CDs I didn’t get on with now sound like the pianist is right there with you. I’m even hunting for studio classical recording because they are picking out more detail of the key strokes etc.
I also love how unfussy they are with positioning. No booming at all. Drum beats and bass guitar sound perfectly weighted and real.

1 Like

Thanks, and I like your description. In the end isn’t reality what we are all striving for? It is quite striking when you hear a shift towards the real thing emerging from your speakers.

Enjoy your lovely speakers.

1 Like

Looking good and sounding even better I’ll bet! May I ask what speaker cables you’re using?

KS-1. I had some Chord Rumour 2 but read on this forum that the KS-1 was worth it. I was told that Derek (Kudos owner) even terminated the cable for me. I supposed I should swap the cables around and listen?

1 Like

Also running KS-1 with my 606. I think they may need a little time to sound their very best, but it’s time well spent.

2 Likes