Kudos Super20 vs. 505 vs. 606 audition

I’ve heard the 606s with a Nova and it was very good. A 200 will do the job but obviously a 250 will have better control.

1 Like

Once I have the 606s (fingers crossed), I will get my NAP200 recapped (it’s a 2008 model
I think). Next step would be either a NAP250 or second hand NAP300.
The plan is that the 606s are my end game speaker, which will take future upgrades in both power amp and power supplies (more money :man_facepalming:)

Anyone know how long the 606s might take to run in?

1 Like

I think all these reccomendations to audtiion Dynaudio Contours, etc. are fine, but they won’t sing with a 200. They really need a 250DR to shine. Even the Focus 140 will benefit considerably going from a 200 to a 250DR. The Confidence will work fine with a 250DR, but really need a 300DR to show what they are capable of.

Any Confidence on a 200 is a waste of speaker money, IMO.

2 Likes

Good plan, but perhaps the money would be better spent trading in the 200 for a 250DR. Don’t forget you’ll need a Hicap DR (or Supercap DR) to power the 282 if you go the 250 or 300 route.

Mine took well over a hundred hours I would say 200 hours at a rough guide.

1 Like

Mine took a good few months. They seem to continue to open up over a long period of time but having said that , they were very good straight out of the box. Detail, body and timbre have developed over time and bass appears to have become more tuneful if that makes sense. More effortless / natural perhaps. All subjective and maybe just my imagination! They are very very good though!

Based on my experience with both NAP200 and 250DR matched to relatively easy to drive speakers such as Harbeth, if the speakers are capable of producing decent bass and you want to hear the layering, detail and texture in the bass, the 250DR will be the ticket to get you there. The 200 has a taut and tight bass but it’s a lean “one-note bass” in comparison to the full textured bass of the 250DR.

1 Like

You seem to be lucky having good experience with SHL5 bas notes.
When I heard both M40 (various editions) and SHL5, they were far too boomy and slow in that region, thinking the price range does justify the excellent mids but not bas area which sometime sounded like another planet.

I was referring specifically to Dynaudio speakers. They are low impedence and difficult to drive well. They require lots of current to shine. If someone is unhappy with Dyns on a 200 I’m not at all surprised. That amp just doesn’t have the grip and control to bring out what Dyns are capable of. And once you get to the Confidence class the 300 really needs to enter into the discussion.

1 Like

SHL5 non-Plus does fit the description of slow boomy bass which is the main reason I wanted to get rid of it. You should hear the SHL5+ version as the bass on this one is much improved. It’s a different speaker, much leaner and taut bass. Some people who switched from SHL5 to SHL5+ find the sound too lean and cold and prefer the bloom of the older SHL5 which gives it the warm and romantic sound.

If the SHL5+ still sounds slow in the bass, chances are the placement of the speaker in the room(too close to walls) contributes to the poor sound, not the fault of the speaker. The SHL5 non plus will sound boomy and slow in the bass no matter how you place it in the room but some people prefer this sound as they predominantly listen to slow mellow music mainly vocals without much bass going on. Music that puts you to sleep.

The M40 does sound a bit slow. I prefer SHL5+ over M40 versions.

My 606s needed around 100hrs to run in.
The 808s more like 500😱

I’m liking the Les Paul in your profile pic. What spec?

It’s a billy gibbons aged model, played by the man himself apparently. Have had quite a few guitars over the years, one of a handful that I’ve kept hold of over time.

1 Like

I am very happy with my S20 and they are amazing speakers that completely changed the game in my system. Have never compared S20 against 606, but I am afraid, the bigger beasts need a much bigger room than mine. I love the bass in my S20. It is just what the doctor ordered for me. Switching to KS-1 speaker cable and adding the two DR letters at the end of my NAP250 have made a sound “bass” difference… My end game is 2x250DR be-amping, so the S20 can open up more and breathe freely. I think, the point I am trying to make is you do not necessarily need to part with S20 for 505/606. Not before you tried be-amping. :grin:

2 Likes

Or upgrade your amp to 300DR?

2 Likes

Internally cabled with Sarum - that would be interesting to hear!

That’s what I did and it made a considerable difference to the S20’s. If you think the DR on the 250 makes a bass difference you should hear what a 300DR does to them!

1 Like

That’s one way but once I tried 505s on my 282/250 there was no going back to the S20s as excellent as they were.

1 Like

300DR vs. 2x250DR be-amping is a very interesting choice. :slight_smile: Owning already two 250s, one DRed, the other on its way to be DRed, 2x250DR is an easy decision and my great expectation. I love the 282/250DR presentation, and I can’t wait to see what Snaxo will do to the S20… :thinking: