Kudos Titan 808 - Wood smooth or textured?

Halo guys with Titan speaker, I want to ask some wood appearance questions.

Are the wood appear smooth, plastic-looking and reflective or is it more textured with grainy tiny holes.

As seen in the following pictures:

I have Titan T88s
Tineo wood
It is smooth but obviously real wood. Not very shiny, would say a “satin” sheen.
Not sure about the new Titan range but would guess the same .
Do not think Tineo is available anymore.
David

1 Like

Hmmn…interesting question………the finish on speakers on many brands……look like plastic. Then you see some crafted veneers, but the sound is not your liking, its a journey.

Perhaps ask Kudos, for their views…?

I would not expect ‘plastic’ on any of their speakers.

My X3’s are certainly not… :deciduous_tree:

Different woods have different surface characteristics - I have had some veneered items very smooth without a hint of pits (my PMC EB1s in cherry veneer as an example, ditto some old IMF TLS50s in walnut. however the grain of my PMC MB2s in light oak can be felt, with light pitting. I presume it is simply that in some woods the difference in hardness between different parts of the wood cellular structure is greater than in others, with the result that the harder parts resist sanding more than the softer parts. When I made my second pair of speakers, way, way back in time, I French Polished the veneer - and had that pitting to deal with then, My understanding at that time was to get it fully smooth is not a matter of sanding, but filling the pits, whether that be with shellac when French polishing, or with wax on waxed furniture. However whether that is perceived necessary by the manufacturer depends on the effect they want and the cost of the finishing process, and as aforesaid tgat also depending on the type of wood.

1 Like

Tks for all who replied. I asked because I much prefer the look of the textured as it is giving a more rough look. Sorry for asking aesthetic and not sound-related :grimacing:

The 808’s in Tineo finish are more smooth than they are textured…They do not look like plastic. Perhaps the oak may have more of a texture due to the nature of the wood.Great speaker.

1 Like

There is no mistaking my walnut 606s for anything but real wood, looks and to the touch.

1 Like

@Marq does it looked more like the 1st picture smoothness or 2nd picture textured kind for your Walnut 606? I know both are real wood for sure. Maybe I am looking more on the treatment of it.

more like the second I’d say

5 Likes

Wonderful. Exactly the look I hoped for. Tks a million!

This is my T606.

First picture shows flat grain and the second picture shows edge grain.

DG…

Timber can be open or closed grain. It depends on variety, growth conditions and how planks are cut from the log. To complicate matters, some veneers are rotary cut, that is turning the log against a blade, a bit like a pencil sharpener. Quite often, this is how birch, a closed grain timber, is cut for plywood.
At the extremes, elm, oak and ash are open grain, hence the texture. At the other, African Blackwood typically used in clarinet making, can have no obvious grain or texture at all.

1 Like

One of my 808s, very close up. Definitely grained

1 Like

I will be going to replace my Dynaudio Special 40 for Titan 808. I really hope this will be a heaven and earth difference that can do justice to my current gear. Hope 250DR can drive it still sufficiently. Doing speaker first before 500 DR :pray:

Personally i like grain……too many speakers out there that i cannot tell if they are real wood or artificial👍

No doubt on these :blush:

1 Like

Have you not auditioned?

Have not. Going to this Sat :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

If you can’t tell, does it matter?

My second pair of IMFs were wood-effect Formica. People thought they were real wood until very close. Very hardwearing: nothing to give away they are now over 50 years old, and have been through at least 5 house moves, and transported and carried into 4 demo rooms - and that is at 60kg apiece!