Lake District - 2 Day Itinerary needed

No pics from today but did have some brightness walking round Grasmere yesterday.

4 Likes

Really ? I had a drive (accidentally) over Hardknott a few weeks ago on a perfectly clear, dry, sunny day and it was terrifying !

That’s a lovely circular walk.

Yes, it’s a dangerous road.

I’m not sure why @Bruss mentioned it…

I drove it decades ago and vowed never to do it again.

But then a few years ago friend of mine rented out the whole of the brilliant Eskdale YHA for a weekend for his 50th.

We drove out there via the easy pass (nowhere near the Hardknott).

As we came home on the Sunday morning in our under-powered Touran, Mrs. JimDog turned towards the Hardknott.

I begged her not to drive over it with the 3 kids and bags in the car, but she was determined to conquer it.

She stopped to try to help an old couple who had almost reversed off the edge in a huge motorhome.

Then our car burned (literally smoke streaming from the engine) on the crazily steep uphill slope.

I managed to get it started and get over the pass, but it is not a safe road to drive.

I first drove it in an old MG TD. I think it is a lovely drive in the hills.

1 Like

My “experience” started with the modern day folly of blindly following sat nav until it was too late. Going up was the worst bit. It’s so steep in places that I couldn’t see the road over the car bonnet it was at such a steep angle. Not great on a single track, twisty road.

My son sat next to me was terrified. We got through it but I certainly don’t want to do it again.

Sorry to hear that. I have not been for a good few years but I have done it a number of times now, mostly alone and always with an OS map. It’s slow and I wouldn’t want to do it at a busy time of the year with traffic both ways.

Perhaps you’re a petrolhead with nerves of steel.

1 Like

Blea Tarn

6 Likes

lovely shot - beautiful landscape

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.