I’ve been after a vintage scoot for some years now but never had the knowledge or contacts to get one fully rebuilt with new engine.
June 2020 I managed to find a clean 1959 Series 1 (Framebreather) Li 125 with all the parts needed to make it whole again. The previous owner had stripped it about 10 years with the intention to rebuild it again but a divorce has got in the way and he needed to free up some funds. He’d started stripping some of the paintwork off and had sealed the main tubular frame to avoid rust and decay. All in all it was an 8/10 in terms of parts and bodywork with only minimum bending and welding required.
My friend who’s undertaking the rebuild is local to me (literally 10-mins down the road) retired a couple of years ago and is spending all his time now rebuilding classic Vespas / Lambrettas. Himself the owner of an LD 150, TV 175 S2 and a GS150.
He had another couple of projects on the go so work wouldn’t start on mine until Christmas 2021 but that gave me enough time to get to grips with colour, theme and of course accessories.
Here’s the accessories I ended up going with - anything marked with an * is a remade part due the ridiculous cost / rarity of originals:
Jug eared rack:
Owl Lights (Lucas):
Running lights (Autoroche):
Flying lady / nymph (Desmo):
Headlamp peak with gems:
Top rocket embellisher*:
Alpine Hooters (Clear):
10” Wheel cover*:
Fork boot covers (Vigano):
Footboard extensions (Falbo):
Side panel embellishers (TBC):
Rear light housing / lense (Super Catalux):
Bullet light (Lucas):
Number plate surround (Biemme):
“St. Christopher” badge (Renamel):
“Warwickshire” badge (Renamel):
I went round in round in circles on this but decided on green and gold in the end.
The Audi Oak Green Metallic is the main base of the scooter with all small / hidden parts in a contrasting gold.
I went brave and decided on a fully chromed toenail to match the chromed accessories on the rack. I was in two minds whether to do this or not but my mate was doing some work on “Spirit of 63” and after seeing that in the flesh I knew it was the right thing to do.
Standard bottom end with TV2 top end. Engine fully rebuilt with stronger and bigger everything.
Now running at 196cc
Fast forward to November 2022 and we are almost good to go with the following needed to be completed:
- Fitting of twin cloverleaf exhaust
- Fitting of footboard extensions
- Fitting of side panel embelishers
- Completion of badges (Carte Blanche / Yann)
- Fitting of badges / decals
- Completion of seat (Andy Nixon)
Here are some current images - I’ll add some more when it’s fully completed in Feb / March: