Leap forward speakers for NDX2 and SN2

And don’t forget that if you do find Roon worth your while, the way you implement will also affect the balance of your system…

The speakers you’re considering are all good at their price point, but will prove more of a sidegrade than an upgrade… But certainly listen to some ported, closed box, isobaric and transmission line speakers to identify the compromise between bass extension and speed you prefer.

It would help people providing recommendations if you were to let us know your musical tastes and preferences.

Thanks @Bobthebuilder, unfortunately these would be on the big side for my space.

Oh no @Michaelb, what do you mean? I intend to have my ripped files on a usb ssd attached to my core and control everything from my iPad including tidal and quobuz.

Where is your Roon core?

It is on my surface book laptop upstairs (real i7 spec etc.) and connected via Ethernet adaptor to my Powerline network.

So both sets are on the end of the same electronics. Assuming your listening areas are similar sizes that should be a good test, have you swapped speakers to both rooms and if so, do you get the same result?

Yes both rooms are a similar size, as a consequence I haven’t bothered moving the speakers about, both systems have very similar listening set ups, speaker separation etc.
The only slight difference is that in my main listening room, with the PMC’s, the Innuos Zen is directly connected to the Nova and in the other room picks up the Zen via the network. It all works well with Roon, Qobuz, Tidal and local files.
I don’t get exactly the same result due to the speakers being different, which is really the comparison you were interested in ?

1 Like

You are likely to find that connecting via Ethernet rather than powerline will improve sound quality, especially if your router is downstairs, as could reducing any tasks the laptop is doing, including in the background, to a minimum. This could improve things to parity with playback from the Naim Core using the Naim App., especially clarity, micro-dynamics and tonal detail. A dedicated NUC might improve things further depending on how revealing your system is. Don’t buy anything without an audition. It’s easy to make lots of changes that each seem a great idea, but don’t work in synergy and gradually suck the life out of your system.

Yes, that’s exactly it. So all things being (nearly) equal you find the PMCs to be more in control and easier to listen to. How big is the difference? The PMC’s are priced about £1k more than the SX1s - is this reflected in the sound difference?

How about fit finish and physical quality? Which pair look best and feel most solid?

1 Like

It won’t be possible to connect by Ethernet to the router even if I placed the laptop in the same cupboard as the electronics as the router is in a hall cupboard - I do not want thick cables run along skirting board etc. Nor taking up carpets and glued vinyl tiles.

For SQ differences I will play rips from an SSD connected via USB to my NDX2 using the Naim app and rips from another SSD connected to my core using Roon. Also tidal from the Naim app vs tidal from Roon. This should give me a good idea as to what detriment my power lines have if any (noticeable to me anyhow) and hence whether Roon will be worth the subscription for me.

Do you plan to try other speakers yourself? It’s the only way, you really can’t rely on others’ views. It’s so subjective.

2 Likes

I don’t know if your’e in the UK, you can pick up the Neat SX1’s for about £1500, the PMC Twenty5 23’s are in the region of £3200, so quite a bit more.
As I said I prefer the PMC’s, are they are worth twice the price only your ears can decide, I’m happy with them. Finish on both is very good, physically the PMC’s are a little bit wider/deeper but still compact for floor standers.

Most definitely. While I bought my NDX2 and SN2 as a result of reviews, I was trading in my ND5 XS 2 and Nait XS 2, so knew they would be an improvement. speakers would only be bought after extensive home audition.

I am canvassing views in order to eventually create a short list for audition.

Yes I am in the UK and paid around £1800 or so for my SX1s a couple of years ago.

The PMCs will definitely be on my shortlist and as I am not in a rush I can take my time to investigate appropriate dealers who will stock all of my shortlist.

1 Like

The Neats are excellent company for you as you make your choice, I still like mine very much, good luck with your evaluation.

1 Like

Well definitely audition front-end options too, whether additional power supplies or dedicated Roon core solutions, which might make a bigger impact. If you go to lots of concerts and a good percentage are not amplified (classical, jazz, bluegrass etc), give Shahinian speakers a try too…

That’s good. From some of your questions it sounded as though you may have been intending to buy unheard, which is not a good idea with speakers.

Also try moving the laptop downstairs if you can, connected to your router in its cupboard just as a temporary solution to see if you can hear any difference. How is your NDX2 connected to the router? Powerlines again or Ethernet? Hopefully the latter. If so, consider getting a switch which you could then connect the laptop to, again to see if you can hear the difference. A local forum member may be able to help. Where are you based?

Not sure what Dynaudio model you listened to but I’ve never heard a Dynaudio speaker that lacked bass extension. Kind of what they are known for. I would encourage you to have another listen to Dynaudio. Great synergy with Naim.

Yes I am very happy with them and enjoy listening very much.