Leap forward speakers for NDX2 and SN2

Well @anon4489532 I believe that the major differences were more to do with the tweeters. I had the original motive 2s before the SX1 and the upper registers are certainly easier on the ear from the SX1s. The bass was more boomy on the 2s.

The bass that you describe is exactly what I am looking for. It must be deep enough to give an accurate representation of instrument timbre but never to get in the way. Not just deep bass but mid and upper bass needs to be accurate to lend weight to voices etc. Maybe this is a dream too far? Obviously recording quality varies greatly so some tracks will be great, satisfactory, poor and everything in between but the overall performance should be a big improvement.

There have been several posts pointing out that drive unit count is not at all important so I will be happy to drop my previous preconceptions! Thank you all.

I heard the Neat Acoustics Ekstra at Bristol earlier this year and they were easily one of best sounding at the show for me. So, if you’re into your 2.5-way speakers then I very much recommend giving the Ekstra’s a good listen. Their high frequency quality is exquisite.

It doesn’t always work like that. Sometimes a slightly lesser speaker that is a bit less revealing with a simpler crossover can be the better choice. It’s easy to become ‘over speakered’.

1 Like

Well @Stephen_Tate I have had a quick look on line and these look very impressive! £3k puts them right in the correct ball park. I will have to seek out reviews and add them to my short list!

I am basing this on their style and size as opposed to reverting to my drive unit count obsession :sweat_smile:

What do you mean?
They’re Isobaric loaded, each speaker has 4 drive units.:thinking:

Excellent point. I must exercise constraint and not aim for speakers that my electronics and listening space may not do justice to.

1 Like

The drive unit count is coincidental in this case - there are only two of them visible!! :wink:

1 Like

BJM, I have found Naim Allaes to very tight and with a good tone. They are available used, normally in excellent condition because they were expensive in their day.

It’s difficult to be exact but it is possible that they will work in your room with 30cm behind them.

If considering Neat, I would be looking at the Classic range rather than the Motive range with your electronics.

C.

1 Like

FWIW - Signals HiFi say the SX2’s are the sweet spot of the Motive range, and I wholeheartedly agree.

That would make sense as the original Motive 2 was better than the Motive 1.

1 Like

Oh dear @Christopher_M, this is where I differ from most on here - I do not like anything pre-owned! I know that this will sound irrational but I have always been the same. I appreciate that my stance probably costs me money but I can’t help it!

Fair enough. As my West Yorkshire grandma would have said, ‘There’s more for them as do’.

1 Like

Speakers shed value like trees shed leaves and picking up used speakers from reputable sources is a great idea. My speakers cost me £2,100 and it would take at least £10k to better them if buying new.

1 Like

@Bjm, I run both the Neat SX1’s and the PMC Twenty5 23’s in different systems, both are great speakers, in my view the PMC edges it, just more of everything and a bit more refined.

1 Like

@Stephen_Tate/@anon4489532, I think that just about every review comparison that I have read over the years confirms your statements. However, with my own personal findings I found that the 2s could be a little harsh at times and were always a wee bit bass light. By bass light I mean that I was more aware of the port performance for some reason (I did have these for many years in several different rooms) and that is my overall recollection of their performance. Don’t get me wrong, they were a superb speaker that bettered (in my opinion and home comarisons) rivals from Spendor, Dynaudio and whatever else I tried at the time.

The SX1s have a more pleasant upper mid range/treble to my ears and a more extended range. It could be argued that the 2s were more chesive but then that would be expected as they don’t reach down quite as low. Most of my listening would have been through a Myryad MX2080i at the time.

One thing that I have noticed is how well my SN2 and NDX2 combination has tightened the bass of the SX1s compared to the Nait XS2 that I had for a couple of years. I never found them boomy but but I do notice the improvement now.

1 Like

Ha ha, nice one!

1 Like

Thanks @glasnaim, what pertnering equipment do you use? Are your speakers close to a rear wall as mine must be?

I know that what you are saying makes complete sense but I have always been the same. The exception would be cars until I could afford new ones (I know that I could have better, faster more luxurious if I stuck to second hand), and obviously houses!

I have two Novas and a Innuos Zen Mk3 server, yes my speakers are about 200/300mm from back wall.

1 Like

I’d have a look at their Contour range if you can find an ex dem or used pair of Contour 30’s I think you should definitely audition them. I have an older Contour floorstander and one thing they do very well with the right amp and room is bass.