Legacy users unite! How do you modernize your streamer?

Strange feeling I had some weeks ago.
Wanted to play Neil Young.
He cleared nearly all of his repertoire on Tidal.
For some seconds I thought that can happen at any time —>
„They“ can steal your records!
And if all is yours, but just digital? How easy an HDD can break down - everything s lost.
That feeling was stranger than I can explain with words - it was the feeling someone has stolen my youth, my history.
Thank god I have all my cds, my records. And I decided to recover my Tapedeck and tapes.

2 Likes

I don’t rely 100% on streaming, if I like enough for a couple of plays then I’ll buy the download or the CD. My ripped CDs are stored away and I have multiple backups of my music files.

2 Likes

This is the problem with digital media - if the supplier’s ‘catalogue’ changes you may be unable to stream past purchases, though will hopefully still be able to play files you’ve purchased and downloaded, but no guarantee that any proprietary format (mostly for video with DRM) will always be playable in the future.

If you have a large digital media collection, when you go your family will probably be unable to access it, with physical media it can be handed down.

The flipside of course is that physical media can be stolen - had hundreds of CDs and DVDs stolen a few years ago as well as computer/camera gear - nowadays I doubt thieves would be interested in physical media at all as there’d unlikely be much interest in it.

I am not sure what these numbers are telling us. If a high proportion of the music streamed gets reproduced on mobile devices, then the 90% figure at 2018 is not particularly significant. I very much hope that the next generation of Naim servers will not include a ripper. I also hope that the new servers will include a decent UPnP (or, better, support for MinimServer 2, Asset, etc.) server because the current one is a joke.

Just noticed this thread. (I can be totally oblivious to things sometimes)

Personally, I have no interest whatsoever in streaming. I have a very large collection on my NAS, plus the LP12, and so will stick with my NDS until SWMBO relents and lets me audition the ND555.

I’m not at all sure about streaming music’s permanence, and wonder how long they keep back catalogue on their servers. Hence - not for me.

Streaming is great fun, over the years i have found so much music that i just didn’t know, plus its easily the best valve for money.
The legacy streamers still do this, yes they are now old and been dropped by naim for further upgrades, so that limits you some what, but you can work around these, yes its not as easy as the newer models, plus extra stuff, but it is doable.
If you are looking to change then, if you dont want these problems again, then you need to look at streamers that have the advantage of being updated going forward, some have the extra ability to cope with anything that might come along, plus a team behind that that brings on board these developments very quickly when they appear, this is the only way to try and guarantee a longer life span and even then it will at some point be i guess be obsolete, as streaming looks to be the main way forward, as the younger generation are not interested in CD’S, vinyl, tape, they just want everything now, wherever they are.

2 Likes

I would be considerably more confident in the permanence of streaming than I would about the release of music on CD or download.

Just as an addition:
Some time forward in the near future there will be artists not giving their music into streaming. They re-invent music distribution and will give away their music on physical units and especially not easily transfomable digital units as a cd - so vinyl would be their way.
I really think so because the streaming world with cheap access to all the music existing is a bubble.
Best: Streaming in high quality but keeping vinyl in mind.

True,but there is a gigantic difference in picture quality between e.g. a 4K BluRay played on a decent UHD BR player (e.g. the Oppo UHD-203) and the same movie on a streaming service like Netflix.
To get the same PQ you would need at least a 100 Mbps stream. I do not see that happen in the near future.
Audio is different story,the required bps to get the same quality is much lower of course.
But I agree,most people don’t care,for them is the quality offered by Netflix sufficient. Just as the majority settles for the Spotify mp3 stream for audio.

1 Like

Agreed.

I just don’t currently get a lot of time to enjoy 4k BluRay - I’ve got several titles and the Oppo 203 hooked to my Samsung 4k TV which is a few years old now (not the best purchase), but we primarily stream for family viewing. My projector alas is 1080p but still good.

Another question to drive again on the way the thread was supposed to be:
All the workarounds with special equipment can be solved easily with … don‘t know but I saw the Primare NP5.
What do you think: Roon core on NAS (for example Synology DS 220+ with 4 extra RAM and a little usb ssd128 Gb), the NP5 connected by LAN and then into the ND5XS with digital coaxial cable. Just using the Naim as a DAC?
Everything would be solved for about 1000Euros (included Roon lifetime).
The only thing to cry for is the then useless display of my nd5xs.

The point is most people just don’t care. I had to convince my wife when we first started streaming movies to spend the extra dollar on Amazon for the HD version (we’re not exactly penny pinchers either) after sitting through a couple of ‘veiled’ movies in Standard Def.

If you do this I would be tempted to trade in the ND5 for an NDAC. That should be a nice upgrade, and possibly close to cost neutral. Plenty of other DACs to choose from too, of course.
If you’re committed to Roon I’m not sure you would even need the Primare box, as you could potentially connect your Roon Core directly to the DAC. Maybe consider an Innuos Zen Mini as Roon Core as it has an SPDIF out that should match a Naim DAC well.

Why not the SonoreUPnP Bridge unit, Sonore UPnP Bridge – Small Green Computer and make the ND5XS a Roon endpoint.

Less than the Primare NP5 and you don’t have the S/PDIF connection

1 Like

Hi Simon,
The Sonore bridge has a LAN -input. The output is usb?
The nd5xs has a low-quality-usb in the Front for usb-sticks.
The output of the np5 would be coax digital.
Perhaps I‘m wrong?

The SonoreUPnP Bridge is connected by LAN only and is a software application, just running on this unit, or a Sonore Rendu unit.
The Ethernet input on the Naim Network player is used.
There is no S/PDIF connection used.
The SonoreUPnP Bridge presents to Roon as an endpoint, but directs a UPnP stream to the Naim player.

Alternatively you could run the SonoreUPnP Bridge on a SonicTransporter i5, which also hosts the Roon Core.

1 Like

How does this device work? It appears to have a single Ethernet port… so it doesn’t directly connect to the nds? I can’t find any user manual or documentation online.

What doesn’t work?

I use mine to stream Spotify all the time. And tidal until I binned the subscription while I wait to see what Spotify hifi is like when released.

It never skips a beat.

1 Like

The Sonore bridge is a network device, remember network devices communicate in both directions, hence you only connect it once to your network.

Roon ‘sees’ the Sonore bridge as a compatible music device, actually a Squeezelite device which Roon supports. The bridge receives the data from Roon and then sends it on to the Naim device as a UPNP stream.

It really is the best way to use a legacy streamer as they were designed to receive data in this way. With this in place Roon will sound as good as your music does now, with the benefit of Tidal and QoBuz at the same quality. If this wasn’t enough you also have the other benefits of Roon, music discovery and a better interface etc. to play with.

2 Likes

It is a software application that runs on the same network as the Naim Network player and the Roon Core.
The SonoreUPnP Bridge presents to Roon as an endpoint, but directs a UPnP stream to the Naim player, hence the term bridge.

Details are here SonoreUPnP Bridge (beta) - Sonore - Roon Labs Community and many posts on this forum over the last 4 years or so.

1 Like