Let's raise an article for help, then don't respond!

I find it quiet amusing how some people will start an article, often describing an issue that they need help with, then a load of people respond with various help and further question, with often a lot of effort put into those question, then the person raising the issue just doesn’t respond, sometimes for days, or never

When I say I find it amusing, I perhaps mean I find it a little discourteous. Currently a new one raised - nearly 20 hours old, 25 responses of quite detailed help, but nothing from the OP.

Am I alone, or am I just a grumpy old git :smile: ?

13 Likes

Probably :grin:

12 Likes

You need to give the op time to filter out all the definitive answers to the question they didn’t ask posted by all the responders who didn’t read the question… or at least 24 hours, plus time zone allowance. :wink:

13 Likes

No you’re not alone, and probably, I recognise the traits.

2 Likes

A bit like when you hold a door open for someone, and they just swan through with no acknowledgment of your existence.

4 Likes

I usually say “Thankyou” out loud for them.

6 Likes

Not always necessary to respond to advice.
But I always hit the like button for every bit of advice given.

4 Likes

Yep, me too.

Or “you’re welcome” (not that they are, usually).

3 Likes

Similar vein, I say “That’s OK, think nothing of it”

Then they start another thread asking the same question…

Bruce

3 Likes

Similarly if I’m caught in a tight space with another jostling to get past like their life depended on it. In my best passive acquiescing Richard E Grant voice say “Oh I’m so sorry your in my way”

1 Like

No response from GadgetMan, typical! :wink:

4 Likes

You’re going to be busy this afternoon relying to everybody’s post. :grin:

I’ve replied to this type of query , and even if the OP hasn’t replied they give a tick to say they have seen it

1 Like

We’ll, tried not to respond to anyone for a while, but just couldn’t do it

Thankfully not alone, but my wife might have a view on the latter

I can understand that in some cases, but when they leave off important detail like what funds are available for their new purchase, or what kit they currently have, then it results in a much wider response of guesses from helpful others

Thanks @Mike-B

Exactly @Beachcomber

Ah yes, another nigling thing some do

:wink: @TOBYJUG

Got Me :smile:

Perhaps we are all grumpy old gits then :wink:

All points makes prizes - perhaps the ticks you are awarded get converted to a Naim Discount voucher at the end of the year. A little more useful than those Tesco ones

4 Likes

Probably alone or a grumpy old git…

I certainly find such behaviour odd, and indeed discourteous, and I am sure that for the people spending time and effort putting thought into it and taking the trouble to respond, asking for further details etc it can be irritating. But I wouldn’t expect anyone other than one of the constant posters to necessarily return to the thread and respond in less than 24 hours, and even if I’d spent some effort but also asking questions I wouldn’t start to feel peeved until after the second or third day with no sign of a response.

My usual is “the pleasure is all yours”.

1 Like

If it takes little effort to be courteous to someone, it only takes a little bit more effort to alleviate that someones courteousness.

I’m probably a bit impatient I suppose. If I see a problem raised, and I try to answer it, I’m really keen for them to get back to me to see if my suggestion worked.

Incidentally, the article that finally got me to raise this article, is now >24 hours long without an OP response :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

1 Like