Life After Naim

Woah, you definitely went to the extreme there. I have never heard big horns like that, I have heard Klipsch speakers years ago.

No need to apologise you expressed an opinion which is as valid as mine I disagreed with it and it is now history and in future please feel free to express your opinion whatever it is and to disagree if you want to.

3 Likes

@brucebosler I would love to hear what that system sounds like it looks super cool too.

Life after Naim …nobody knows we died :grinning:

2 Likes

respect this demonstration of honor. :+1:

4 Likes

And the happy winner is?

I don’t understand your tone. I’m saying that I haven’t heard another brand as musical as Naim, you say you did and I’m asking you what brand you’re referring to.

That makes me a fanboy?

Claude

Tbf to Claude he asked what brand you preferred.
Not quite sure the need for “fanboy” as to me it comes across as probably being rude bearing in mind this is a forum for the benefit of naim run by naim themselves.

I’ve never understood why people ever use the term ‘fanboy’ - people choose whatever manufacturer they like best and can afford. Naturally they will think that manufacturer better than others - otherwise they wouldn’t choose it. Why does that make them a ‘fanboy’, which is, of course, meant as a derogatory description - which is unpleasant, rude and unnecessary.

6 Likes

I’m LOVING my new-to-me 1997 Boxster. So much fun this summer! As for a daily driver, there may be no life after Tesla for me. It’s just too quiet, smooth, and quick; kinda ruined me.

1 Like

A fanboy implies the consumer cares nothing for the comparative merits of the product. It’s not consumer preference. It’s team sport mentality. A fanboy has subconsciously surrendered objectivity and decided “this brand is my team. I go where it goes.”

Now that may be inaccurately ascribed to some people. But that mentality is pretty prevalent among certain consumers in certain sectors.

There are a few on the forum. But it’s by no means rife with them.

I have consistently had Naim equipment since the early 80’s in various combinations. For a long time I wouldn’t have anything else (other than my LP12). Two things triggered change. Naim no longer making speakers when I switched to the next nearest thing I could find - Neat Ultimatum XL6’s - after two pairs of SBLs and streaming. After various demos I ended up with a Linn Majik, later upgraded to an Akurate. Now upgraded again to the dCS Bartok which I did demo against Naim alternatives and frankly found the Bartok to be significantly preferable (for my ears!). Still have my Naim 135 power amps and a 282 pre in the system though.

2 Likes

If you buy a product that pleases then you look at that brand in the future. Similarly if a product lets you down you move on to another brand. I listened to Arcam equipment for 30 years until their cd player disappointed me. I was so impressed with the cd5si that I ended up buying an Amp which has also pleased me in sq and build. I am currently looking for a serious streamer so the Naim brand is obviously a contender.

I wasn’t using the word “winner” to be sarcastic. You said you heard another brand that was more musical than Naim, I assumed you did a comparison and I asked you what brand won the competition.

Of course you have the choice to respond or not.

Claude

Hold on a sec. I’m not the biggest fan of Naim’s current lineup but you call it an insane Barbie doll and then follow up with THAT? Horn speakers that look like red suzaphones and a process flow diagram for a crude oil refinery? Bravo sir.

4 Likes

Indeed, the 52/SC/250 are superb. This system paired with ATC passives makes a great system.

I’m pretty solidly in the Naim camp, with a 7-box top of range classics system, plus Atom and Mu-so Qb2.

If I ever moved on, it would be to reduce box count, and a very likely candidate might be Boulder, something like their 866 analog+digital integrated and 1108 phonostage, for about $30k.

That doesn’t necessarily make you a fanboy. You’ve thought about other things. You don’t spend ink explaining why everything that isn’t Naim is crap. Higher end Naim systems use a lot of boxes. It isn’t a crime.

I might have a 9 box Naim system, a UQ2 system and 2 Qbs, but I have two other non Naim systems too. One I love (which needs new speakers) and one I’ve yet to assemble and hear that will be the main system for a while.

2 Likes

So we basically agree on the definition, except that I do want my system to be able to reveal details such as how a musician hits the key, to me it increases my inderstanding of the musical message.

IMO there’s systems at every price level that make one listen to the music instead of the sound. In terms of amplifiers, the A&R Cambridge A60 and various Naim amplifiers did it in my systems over the years. I recently home demoed a very fine integrated amp from a serious manufacturer that did everything perfect Hi-Fi wise, but didn’t make music the way my CDS3/552/300 system does. Complex music passages were much easier to understand with my Naim system.

On the other hand, I heard a few non-Naim systems that were also very musical (a Nagra based system comes to mind), so I fully realize that Naim is not the only manufacturer capable of making systems sing (if I can express it that way).

BTW my system does a very good job at playing that excellent Jessye Norman LP :slight_smile:

Schubert Jessye

Claude

1 Like

I’ve actually got the latest Quad power amp with the big fins on the side and it is as you describe though at the moment I have a hand built passive pre amp. It can drive my big 4ohm Dynaudios with ease and for the money is an absolute bargain.
I do want to try a Quad pre though at some point to try the Quad tilt equalizer.