Life After Naim

Makes perfect sense, I for one spend more time in the Music Room than in the Hi-Fi corner.

Claude

2 Likes

I think the name change from ‘forum’ to ‘community’ was a nice one. The word encapsulates this place well.

2 Likes

Which Luxman amp?

Coming back to the Forum after buying a load of Linn gear and then calling the forum users ‘Naim sheep’ is like a tramp going into his old whisky bar and calling the drinkers a bunch of alcoholics.

:tumbler_glass:

1 Like

The SQ-N150

I can only guess at what @anon29651526 said as it seems t have disappeared into the ether.

This forum sometimes annoys me, sometimes perplexes me, sometimes interests me and sometimes amazes me (positively).

The term we often use in Ireland is diaspora, and indeed the Naim diaspora should (and are thankfully) always welcomed here. We have a shared experience no matter where we are at the moment in our (hi-fi) journey. There should be no justification needed for being here (once one is not trolling) and I think it’s one of the most civilised group of madmen I’ve ever come across!

.sjb

11 Likes

That’s a nice compact tube amp. :+1:

Well there is a solid reason for us to be called Naim sheep:

This one was posted by Neil here.

7 Likes

That is truly a bizarre ad.

It must be the one they ran for the Welsh and Kiwi markets.

2 Likes

There’s a few ruffians in that scrum.

But a lot of you are Naim sheep. Only need to look at the ethernet and switch threads to see this. :wink:

3 Likes

@Bobthebuilder

Dear sir,

in retrospect, and despite continuing to be of the same opinion (from the initial post), I assume that I was impulsive and did not intend to gain anything from it.
As such, cordial apologies. I respect your history / course and obviously I value your opinion, always being welcome.

4 Likes

Wild Geese eh?
Or perhaps the Sky larks or curlews?

I went down the Naim rabbit hole and was firmly in their grasp until I managed to get counseling and came out a better man. I may be somewhat unique in that I have very high efficiency speakers so only need a few watts of power. I now have a Chord DAVE that will power my speakers with the internal headphone amp so that, some Supra speaker cables, a Mac Mini for streaming, and a Chord Mscaler and my system is complete. Oh, a Lino C phono stage and Pro Audio ADC with Pure Vinyl running on the Mini that smokes the Superline/Supercap at a fraction of the $$

That replaced all below. I was at the point I was seriously considering going to the 500 level when it suddenly hit me. Stop now and get out or you will be forever doomed. The sound I have now is superior, far superior, and my bank account much fuller. As a hobby, as a pursuit I get it, but the insanity of the Barbie doll which is Naim that requires more and more and more while constantly obsessing about the next bit to add or upgrade is just that… a form of insanity. . Yes, it can be argued that any path in this hobby is a form of insanity, but the Naim syndrome is much, much worse than others. A cult, not a hobby. Get out now… save yourself before it is too late !!

Retail now about $20K, with Naim it was well over $90K with another step looming

two Fraims
Uniti Core
NDX 2
XPS DR
two NAP 250DR
NAC 252
Supercap DR
SNAXO 242
Hicap DR
Superline
Supercap DR
and a bunch of Super Lumina cables to tie it all together

12 Likes

Better sounding? Probably. As interesting? Maybe, As musical? I’ve yet to hear any.

Claude

2 Likes

Are you literally saying that we are m…ma…MAD !? :pleading_face::partying_face::rofl:

3 Likes

I took a similar path to you Bruce, UQ2>>>SN2/Highcap DR>>>272/XPSDR/250DR with SL full loom>>> to NDS into Dynaudio XD 600’s. Now I have a Nagra integrated, and do not stress out about upgrades.
Can I ask what your speakers are, that the Dave is capable of driving? I used to drive speakers with my TT2 to great effect.

Avantgarde Duo Omega with DIY 16 foot bass horns. I did lie a bit in that I do have linear supplies for everything… but … the total cost for 7 of them is less than what a HiCap costs

9 Likes

Holy Molly. I’m lost, even by looking the scheme.
By the way, any chance you’re from the States?
:wink:

yes, I guess I should have called it a “kit” to throw you all off the trail :grinning:

BTW every US armed forces veteran is entitled to a flag for their casket. The one on the left is my father’s, on the right his father’s

all the power supplies make it look worse than it is… sketch out a full blown Naim kit and see what you get

6 Likes