Lifting Technique

I don not think they do.

Firm grip, keep it level - would be my suggestion.

Generally, most of the weight is to the right, where the transformers are.

3 Likes

Stick your butt out.
Squat.
Secure said component
Lift

I imagine that’s what my HSE practioner will advice

OR

get your dealer to throw his back while you film him doing it

2 Likes

It’s on page 42.

4 Likes

I still cannot find it. Neither of my manuals even have a page 42? :confused:

I use the Samurai warrior vocal technique.
Engaging the tensions building up in the muscle groups needed along with a deep lung “ooooooh” vocalisation. With a sharp “su” outburst coinciding with the lift.
This helps me to focus my energies.

5 Likes

And to show you just how hard I’m looking for it, I’ve even enlisted Ron Carter’s help.

1 Like

I’m trying this now: twist and jerk.

…All the power comes from the lower back :melting_face:

You’ve got the idea. :wink:

1 Like

Always be mindful of your abilities.
You’re not going to get a medal for being a hero by doing it on your own. Get someone to help you and avoid extra costs with chiropractic appointments.

1 Like

Sage advice.

Still can’t find the info on page 42 in any manual. I’ve read em all, too. @HungryHalibut perhaps you could paste a screen shot of what you’re referencing.

1 Like

Down in the knees.

Keep a straight back.

And a straight face.

(And get a friend to help.)

1 Like

A good start

1 Like

Found page 42 for you;

7 Likes

Good dealers provide manual handling training for Naim owners. I have a certificate and a free risk assessment manual.

1 Like

Not forgetting to keep your back straight and use the muscle leavers in arms and legs to lift objects

:crazy_face:

1 Like

When I home demo’d a vitus 101 mk2 I had to get help from my neighbour to get it from the car to the equipment table (and back again). It’s getting on for 40kg, so definitely a two person lift in my book. A (albeit small) tick in the minus column when comparing it with my 52/300… It sounded good though.

1 Like

I think HH is making a humerous reference to Douglas Adams ‘Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy’ where the answer to ‘life, the world & the universe’ (or something like that), is 42.

I don’t think he was being serious.

2 Likes

Guess I’ll leave the ‘heavy lifting’ to others from now on. No more manuals for me!

1 Like

At least Naim gear is lighter than some alternatives…

Manhandling a 29.5 kg Bryston amp was a challenge, especially fitting into a cupboard. But that was nothing compared to my present Musical Fidelity amp at 40Kg. I use a home-made “dolly” - a board on castors - with additional spacers on top to rise to the level of the shelf in my cupboard, and slide in.

Speakers also challenging, Worst potentially were 60kg IMFs, except their recessed terminal panel high on the rear and metal grille surround on the front provided handholds making surprisingly easy to lift a little, and they were fitted with castors. Present PMCs at 49kg to be lifted onto 14 1/2 inch stands single handedly took a bit more ingenuity, having no handholds. I contrived something of similar height onto which I could lift the base from horizontal, then lift the top to orientate correctly, and finally slide onto the stands.

The key with all lifting is to be aware what you’re doing, not to lift with your back or back bent, and plan it first, thinking of approaches to assist, especially if on your own.

Or, If HH was being serious, then perhaps he has single-handedly solved the mystery about what the question was in the first place (being ‘how to lift a Naim?’). In Hitchhikers Guide, this was the sole task for which the earth and humans were built, so if that purpose is complete, then now what? :slight_smile: :thinking:

Back on topic, my method of lifting 3 of my 40kg boxes is to yell out to my 16 y.o. son to ‘come and giviz a hand mate’

1 Like