Lingo 1?

Way, way back, there was a thread called something like “Lingo: The Evil Within”. I believe the filter was an EC requirement, but the consensus was that the Lingo sounded better without it. The original post was from one Andrew Weekes (?), so getting rid of it was called a “Weekes mod”.

1 Like

Maybe ‘to meet EC requirements’…? I doubt the EU would specify that a filter must be used.

We are in EMC land here, I think. A filter on a mains inlet can be intended to either stop stuff coming IN from the Mains (thus affecting the Lingo) or stop stuff going OUT onto the Mains (so the Lingo affecting other things) - or both. This is just for whats on the wires - conducted - in either direction. Not transmitted, through the air

The problem is that it will also affect anything else on the same mains circuit… :thinking:

Thanks - helpful. I listen to all sorts. Sounds good currently and yes perhaps as others have says I bide my time :+1:

Thanks and yes I’ll start hunting. One that’s ideally been serviced with the filter removed. Or good condition good price allowing for service cost. Appreciate your response :+1:

I’d much rather dig out a decent lingo and have it serviced it trumped the Valhalla.
No point really keeping an old Valhalla going now as it wouldn’t meet manufacturing safety standard specs for use now.
IMO :thinking:

4 Likes

Love those irreversable modifications, lack of direct comparison and power of confirmation bias. Call me skeptical.

1 Like

Valhalla to Lingo 1 was one of the biggest upgrades I ever made. I went from Lingo 1 to Lingo 2 purely on the basis of positive reviews, and I found it to be a sideways move - more refinement, more audiophile attributes, but maybe not as lively and engaging.

If I was starting over or assembling a second LP12-based system, it’s hard to imagine a better buy than a refurbished and filter-modded Lingo 1 (I have an unserviced 72, a HiCap, and three pairs of speakers, but I have neither the space nor the inclination to complete a hypothetical second system the idea at the moment).

4 Likes

Thanks Corry, what improvements did you see sound / performance wise ? I’m
Going to look for one I think and get it serviced and modded.

Hi murmur, have you the dimensions of your lingo one please ? so I can make sure it fits in a space I have next to amps. I’ve searched all over the internet and they aren’t listed anywhere I’ve looked so far !

Found these dimensions by Googling “Linn Lingo 1 dimensions”. 6.5" W by 3.5" H by 14.5" D (Lingo power supply). My main experience moving from Valhalla to Lingo 1 was improved sound stage wider and more 3D. Quieter background too. I did the upgrade myself and comparison of the two was minutes apart. The improvement blew me away.

2 Likes

Lingo 1 box dimensions:

W 16cm;
H 8cm including feet
D 33cm and allow another 5 cm for connectors/cables

2 Likes

Many thanks I couldn’t find them which is very odd. What a numpty! Cheers for info and advice. I’m on the look out for one now - just need to check it will fit in space I’m considering !

Thank you this is very helpful. Cheers Suzy

The Lingo 1 is narrower that a Naim Shoe box, but otherwise not far off. Similar depth & height.
Mine sits under my LP12, on the bottom shelf of my the LP12’s Sound Factory Tripod stand.

2 Likes

I cannot offer much more but I have a Lingo 1. I have had it since 1995, serviced once and still sounds great.
Have heard a 2 and a 3 but didn’t hear a lot of difference to be honest.

Read a lot about the 4 when it came out, interestingly Linn made no claims about sound quality in their marketing that I could see. Only speed stability. I’m sure it sounds great though.

1 Like

My experience with the Lingo 1 only reinforces what many here have already said.
I found the unmodified L1 to be a significant improvement over the Valhalla and used it happily for a number of years. When, one day, something went ‘pop’ inside the L1 and let out a little puff of smoke, I took it to Darran for repair/service. While there, the input filter removal mod was carried out as recommended by Darran (because I had a 72/HiCap/250 combination at the time).
As predicted by Darran, the filter mod now allowed the amps to perform as intended which gave benefits to every source. Even the sound quality from my CD player noticeably improved.
Valhalla to Lingo is a no brainer. Go for it.

4 Likes

Cheers good to hear - I will ! Thanks👍

Thank you collywobbles👍

The Lingo 1 allows an excellent improvement on a valhalla. However it is interesting to know that the new Lingo 1 were originally equipped with an inverted phase mains cable. Over time, there have been Lingo1s that have accidentally obtained a normal mains cord, without knowing the particularity of the original cable. This lowers the performance of the Lingo 1.

1 Like