Linn Kan questions

There have been various versions of the Tablette. 10 is the 10th version and the latest. It’s sealed and designed to go near the wall. There are two versions, the Tablette 10 and the Tablette 10 Signature.

The Anniversary was a previous version - they don’t simply run from 1 to 10. The Anniversary is ported and a different shape. The 10 is very different to the others - it’s the classic LS3/5a dimensions, with a thin walled heavily damped sealed cabinet.

2 Likes

Thanks HH,

You have saved me time and, possibly, money as I would want to ensure I was getting the latest version as you and others on the forum speak well of it

You are most welcome. To me, they are fantastic speakers and a bit of a bargain.

1 Like

Damn those bi-wire terminals - know matter how good :sweat_smile:

I have just bought some! Ex-dem, arriving this week and a very good deal. Can’t wait

1 Like

…. Sorry, I should have added that I always value your [HH] help on the forum. Thank you.

Agreed
Deal-breaker for me

1 Like

I used to feel that way, until I tried them. To rule out speakers for such a reason sounds a bit tunnel visioned to me. But it’s your loss, as they are just so much better than nSats.

2 Likes

That’s very kind, and more than makes up for the silly negative comments I get from some, who seem to dislike what I write on impulse!

1 Like

I use the Sigs after a couple of years with the standard 10. I think, with a Nova, the latter would be very nice indeed, and you’ll find them second-hand more easily.

Lovely balance and wonderfully communicative they are.

G

I had similar experiences with Derek at both L’boro locations, and went from Heybrook HB1s to Doublets, after home auditions of four different speakers. It was his Naim amp & Kan set up at Sound Advice which influenced me tremendously.
A very generous and helpful man, wish I could still afford to buy from him, assuming he’s still active.

2 Likes

Not clear if he is - or is not. Now called Eye HiFi… still on the DV listing.

1 Like

I think of the SCM7 as a descendant of the Kan, equally fast and engaging, but more “mature” and less frantic. That would be an interesting shootout.

Following the near-universal praise they’ve been getting on this forum (including a few mentions on this thread), I switched to ProAc Tablette 10 Signatures a few months ago. Still getting to grips with them (distance from wall, spacing, toe-in, optimum listening distance, etc.).

3 Likes

I had a pair of Kans initially with a 42/110 and LP12 Syrinx PU2 and Asak back in 81 or 82, a fabulous system, I really regret selling them now but my then partner didn’t like them, she wanted something with more bass so we got some bigger speakers at her insistence. I remember moving a few times with the above system. boxed up it would easily fit in the back of a car, more of a problem getting the records in I recall.

2 Likes

Is that their impulse or your impulse?

5 Likes

I bought Mk1 Kans to try with my Unitilite as I was becoming dissatisfied with my B&w speakers they were boring and I often fell asleep listening to them. I though Linn / Naim was going to be a magical combination. I was wrong or at least wrong in the context of this system which also had a Rega RP6 front end. The kans just sounded awful, very very bright and gave me a migraine. Went back to my old speakers and sold the Kans on.
I told my friend who runs a six pack of 135s and Isobariks with Lp12 Kilmax, he said without a linn front end and Naim pre power amps they would never work properly.
A few months past and I decided to try again, I part exchanged the Rega for an LP12 at a well known dealer in Leeds and bought myself used 72/hicap/180 and a pair of Kans MK1 with Kan II stands. Set it all up and the Kans sounded awful, one tweeter was blown and they probably hadn’t been used in 20 years. I decided to get them professionally refurbished, new tweeters recapped crossovers and new grill cloths.
The speakers came back looking as good as new and ready for another 40 years of service. The sound quality has exceeded my expectations in terms of dynamics, detail and timing. I would highly recommend that anyone with a pair of original Kans 35+ years old or is thinking of buying a pair has them refurbished, the sonic results are well worth the expenditure. Next step for me will be to get the amps serviced and then I’m done. This is a vastly more satisfying system than the one box system I was running previously. My listening room is rather small and the Kans really are the ultimate small room speaker if setup correctly ie backed up to the wall on rock solid Kan II stands and no toe in.

7 Likes

Interesting change in direction there Paul, switching to Olives & Kans from the Uniti. Also, as an RP6 owner, I’d be interested in the spec / build of the LP12 that replaced your Rega, if you’d be willing to go into more detail?

Thanks for your interest, the LP12 is a mix of new and used. The LP12 itself is brand new with walnut plinth and fitted with Karasel bearing. The arm is a very nice example Ittok LV11 and the cartridge is Audio Technica AT33EV. All built by a Linn dealer in Leicester.

The phono stage is the Rega Aria that I used with my Rega RP6 setup, I kept it as it has moving coil input and I bought a 2 rca phono to din cable so I could connect it to the 72 pre amp with great results.

The 72/hicap/180 combo is just so much better in every way compared to the internal amplifier in the Unitilite.

3 Likes

I believe they are completely unrelated!

I wasn’t implying that there was any connection in terms of their development, just that they share some traits, despite being decades apart (hence my prefacing the comment with “I think of”).

1 Like