Linn Kan questions

So… @Cymbiosis then… :crazy_face:

1 Like

Thanks for the added detail Paul - very much appreciated. Ah, very interesting. So you started with a base new Majik LP12 with arm, and then added the choice used components?

If it is not problem / secret where did you refurbished your Kan?
Thanks in advance and more good music …

1 Like

Yes

1 Like

Not sure if allowed to say that’s all. It’s Wilmslow Audio in Leciester, they did the refurb work, highly recommended. I’m not sure who should service my amps, Naim HQ, Wich hat or Class A…

1 Like

@Cymbiosis have admitted it was them… lols… :astonished:

1 Like

So I started out with brand new LP12 with the new bearing and motor, no arm, no cartridge, no sub chassis and no power supply. This was all added by the dealer who sourced me an immaculate Ittok to which he fitted a brand new AT33EV cartridge. The power supply is a brand new Hercules Mosse which is remote mounted in a metal box enclosure and allows 33.3 and 45 rpm speeds via a switch on the turntable which had a bi colour LED, red for 33.3 and blue for 45rpm. By buying the LP12 in this way with a mix of new and used parts plus the part exchange of the RP6 I was able to get it within my available budget. I’m over the moon with the sound, it’s just so much more musical than my previous turntable by a considerable margin. The immediacy and presence of the sound is awesome, this is my forever system and the great thing about it is that it’s all fully serviceable, even new drive units are available for the Kans from Falcon Acoustics in fact they now have drive units for all classic Linn Speakers, Kan, Sara and Isobarik. Wilmslow Audio will fit them and service the crossovers and provide new front grills.

4 Likes

[quote=“Paul6, post:67, topic:19499, full:true”]
Yes Cymbiosis

Thanks Paul - well that has got my cogs whirring as I didn’t know it was possible to buy a base LP12 without arm, sub chassis and the power supply. I thought you could only buy the full Majik package, that base model being the only intro to LP12 ownership.

A very interesting approach, but makes perfect sense to do it this way, buying the all important heart of the deck brand new, which of course includes the latest Karousel bearing as standard, and then source the rest to budget and availability as people upgrade. Lots to ponder on!

At the risk of hi-jacking the thread.

I have the Hercules power supply mounted on my LP12. I see from the manufacturer website, you can buy the Mose case separately and install your own board into it. I am wondering if any forum members have made this upgrade and how they found it?

Just for info, the latest LP12 with the new bearing can’t have the Hercules integral something to do with the bearing size. Now it can only be remote mounted in the box, I’ve read elsewhere that this approach is a huge step up in performance.

It’s certainly the most cost effective way into LP12 ownership and for around the same sort of money as a Majik you will get a better sounding turntable as the arm and cartridge and even the power supply are superior to those supplied as standard on the Majik. Speak to Peter @ Cymbiosis if you are seriously considering going down this route.

Naim HQ and Class A are both officially authorised to service Naim kit.

1 Like

Thank you Richard, that’s most helpful information.

Hi Paul, Thanks for your answer. They as well change caps, drivers … or just work on a cabinet … ?
In connection your amps the best will be direct to the Naim Factory or HQ service …

They change drivers and caps.

1 Like

Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.