Linn Klyde

There have been a lot of revisions since 17D2. The D2MKII, D3 and now DX
But as discussed above you need to play into the correct loading. S type for Naim with the older pre amp phono boards or Prefix.
Not sure how loading works with newer Naim phono stages eg Superline

Strange that a Linn cartridge wouldnt work properly into a Linn phono stage.

Luckily there isnā€™t any discolouration inside sleeves and so far the surface look pristine, no loss of shine or signs of mould. I am hoping to get away with this but will bear it in mind.

Hopefully you might be lucky, but remember its whatā€™s in the microscopic grooves that you cant see with the naked eye, even if the surface looks clean.

Extremely annoying actually.

That would be nice but probably not. Even if you dont upgrade it and just get it properly serviced (which would be my recommendation before going forward) you will have a very nice Classic LP12 from the period. Unlike Classic cars though they are not rare and must be thousands out there in a multitude of versions. It will hold a reasonable used price if you were to sell it but not a fortune. The music it reproduces would in my opinion hold more value.

1 Like

Indeed! You would expect Linn to have got that right, someone deserved a bollocking!
:joy:

2 Likes

Hi @Dreadatthecontrols

I really appreciate your input. I planned for the worst when I started so might be over positive now. Iā€™ll take some albums in when I drop the LP12 off for a service and get them checked. Shall I take a pic of the War of the Worlds surfaces to view (this was the album above)?

IIRC from 84 the first upgrades where power supplies so if I do start to upgrade where should I start?

I have a black box system but havenā€™t traded in CB boxes so I can build a 32.5/HCAP/250 system with Saraā€™s. The 250 is from 1985 and to spread the cost I am going to get this serviced first and use my CDI. Only reason for mentioning this is it will be over two months before the LP12 is back in action.

1 Like

That changed with the development of the Cirkus bearing in the early nineties. The bearing as I said, is the first component in the system heirachy. The Cirkus has now been superseded with the development of the Karousel.
Personally I wouldnt get too hung up on upgrades right now. As I said get the deck serviced so you know how it sounds as is then consider upgrading going forward, considering the bearing first assuming all else is as it should be.
Its tempting to throw money at an LP12 with so many upgrade options, however you might find that after a service your enjoyment of the music will be such that you dont feel the need to upgrade. There are many users out there who still prefer the sound of older vintage LP12ā€™s.
And yes, my comments re servicing the LP12 would equally apply to the rest of the system.
Find a good Linn/Naim dealer to guide you.
For servicing both Linn & Naim, Class A Servicing are reputable and use genuine Linn/Naim factory components and are less expensive than direct factory service prices.
Google Class A Servicing and have a chat with Darran.
Re photo, Iā€™m not sure that would help, were talling microscopic grooves. If you think the records are OK proceed with caution and listen, if they sound fine they probably are. However if you notice your stylus gumming up with sludgy gunk caused by dampness and mould, this will cause distortion, mistracking and wont do your cartridge much good.
You can get say a Pro-Ject VCSII ALU record cleaning machine (other brands are available), I use one, for under Ā£400. Or even a Spinclean record washer for about Ā£80 but this doesnt vacuum dry the record.

@Dreadatthecontrols, Thanks again, my local Naim dealer also services Linn so I plan to start there. My HCAP and CDI are serviced so I am planing on 250 and LP12 to get up and running quickly. 32.5 will also benefit but it can also wait.

If there is mould on the LP surfaces you would also see it on the inner sleeves. I doubt you have a problem at the surface. Once the LP12 is services then it should be happy days.

1 Like

Thanks, checked about 20 sleeves and they are all clean, most also have ā€œplastic bagsā€ as liners which are clean and and also havenā€™t decomposed.

Lucky really, I hadnā€™t given them a thought before and there was so much that could have gone wrong.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.