Linn LP12/Akito - "To buy, or not to buy, that is the question."

I have an original Akito somewhere in a box after I got the original Ekos. The Akito from memory was around £149 at the time, I have repeatedly been told that the new one is streets ahead, but the old LP12/Akito/K9 was a lovely combination.

1 Like

The cartridge is a K9, probably original. I have a Stageline N so I’d like to give it a try but I’m thinking an Adikt is in my future.

On another note, I have a Rega Exact 2. Can it be fitted to a Linn tonearm? I know the Stageline N/Exact 2 combo isn’t a popular one in this forum but I might try it given I have it on hand.

Don’t Audio Technica do a stylus that fits the K9/18?

1 Like

From what I’ve read, there are some Audio Technica stylus models that will fit the K9.

1 Like

The K9 body is excellent snd worthy of a new stylus of high quality.

That could make life easier at least in the short term until a Radikal, Kore, Ekos……….I’ll quit now!

What a piece of work is an Akito with knackered bearings? Delight’s not me nor woman neither.
Sorry just carrying on with the Hamlet theme.

1 Like

State of the bearing and inner platter too.

I’d not dare my vinyl for a 30 years old stylus.

My original K9 had a yellow plastic removable stylus, looked nicer than the later grey ones!

Perhaps not - that would be one item to change.

The problem is it may even sound ok but could be causing damage.

That said, I started buying LPs in late 70s/early 80s and they were played on a naff Fidelity ‘music centre’. No finesse, and I often used a coin on top of the headshell (via blutack) to stop certain albums ‘jumping’. May have caused havoc with the vinyl but many of those albums still sound great.

There is a ‘close fit’ if not perfect, it’s been discussed before here or elsewhere.

To put all the information I can think of in a list, @Richard.Dane to edit/delete if anything is inappropriate.
The pictures you show seem to be of a deck that has been cared for, the lid clean and clear, the armboard seems well aligned, the mat in good condition - they tend to shrink and wrinkle with age.

Lots of places you can look and read

1. the most comprehensive download guide to set up is on the Cymbiosis website. You should be able to identify parts from updates, the sub chassis, bearing etc
  2. the arm bearing test, set bias to zero, balance so that the arm floats horizontally. It should then move smoothly, no obvious jerks in horizontal and vertical planes, with the gentlest of touches.
  3. Facebook LP12 group fact pages give some information on pricing. There are some helpful people there as well.
  4. The Audio Files website for a Paratrace replacement stylus.
  5. TNT DIY has a page about an Akito rebuild.
  6. Audio Origami site for some parts.
  7. The Vinyl Engine website, lists of historical information and advice.
2 Likes

I’d also add that I thought it looked well cared for.

WHile the state of the inner platter/bearings and tonerarm bearings may affect sound quality it’s probably only a poorly setup cartridge or shoddy stylus that’s going to actual damage to the vinyl and an equivalent cartridge exchange would be fairly easy for a dealer to do.

Hope this is ok as a link suggesting a recent AT as a good replacement (assuming OP does not go for a ‘next best’ AT stylus replacement).

Appreciate it’s sort of a commercial link but OP is not in UK and unlikely to use this company’s services.

Some potential issues, based on age and serial number:

1. It doesn’t have the extra bolt from the top plate to the plinth (by the motor).
  2. The Valhalla will undoubtedly need to be rebuilt.
  3. It has the Pre-Cirkus bearing (which may be worn).
  4. It has the earliest Akito (which was a glorified Basik LVX plus).
  5. It needs a new cartridge/stylus (unless you like playing Russian roulette).

If you are located close to a Linn (turntable!) dealer, then anything that’s bad can be fixed (at a price). If not, then it’s a tough call vs the Rega.

Thanks for the resources, they’re very helpful.

Thanks for your thoughts. There is local dealer but I’m really hoping to avoid an upgrade other than a new cartridge/stylus and possibly a drive belt for a bit. The Sondek has been on my wish list for a long time and I’m ready to move on from my P3.

I’m hoping to get a year or two out of the TT as is, but I was thinking I would start keeping my eyes open for a used tonearm and power supply (possibly a Lingo 3).

I get that you would like a LP12, they make great music, but having assimilated many of the comments made in the thread I just can’t help but feel that this might be a bit of a step into the unknown at least without a Linn expert really giving the deck a thorough overhaul. I think there could be less risky ways of getting an equivalent sonic improvement, a RP6 as you say.

Regards,

Lindsay

1 Like

So how much are LP12 drive belt these days ?

1 Like