Linn LP12/Akito - "To buy, or not to buy, that is the question."

£49.

I think we may have given the OP too much to ‘worry’ about here. To compare to a used car, if it runs & drives, that’s a very good start…

If the price is acceptable, I would just buy it. Yes, it would be nice to service or replace the Valhalla board - but if it works… Same with the Akito. I would, however, assume that at least a new stylus be budgeted for - or a new cart.

4 Likes

The RP6 and the LP12 are an improvement over the P3, but they won’t sound the same as each other, and don’t look the same as each other

And. How good is the P6, if I’m not mistaken a contributor to this thread went from P6 to P8 to P10 in less than 12 months. It obviously wasn’t done on aesthetic grounds. :innocent:

2 Likes

Rather like yourself I have always wanted an LP12 but could never justify the expense. Finally I decided that I could afford one after all and sold my trusty RP3 that I bought new in 1983 for a 1984 vintage LP12.
I have got access to an excellent dealer but tbh looking after one of these is well within the skills of anyone who is reasonably handy. The Cymbiosis guides are all you would ever need. They absolutely do not need loads of fiddling with once set up and nor do they have to be upgraded- as they produce a lovely warm- if coloured (!)- sound that appeals to many peoples ears.
I would just go for it- I certainly have had no regrets. Keep us posted on how you get on
Best wishes
Jonathan

3 Likes

Ha, that’s me! It’s possible to overthink these things. If the OP has always wanted an LP12 then go for it. Things may need fixing but that’s a bridge that can be crossed as and when. I have no idea which Rega would be equivalent to a basic LP12 but I’d be doubtful as to the 6 being able to beat it. I’ve never liked the Akito, which looks a bit cheap and nasty to me - the Ittok and Ekos are the proper Linn arms. I think I’d be looking for a deck with an Ittok and at least a Cirkus bearing, and one that plays 45s too.

1 Like

Interesting, a friend has a RP6 with a Dynavector (can’t recall which) and I think it’s mighty impressive. And if the Akito looks a bit budget, not so the Arm on the RP6, lovely looking piece of engineering.

I’ve got a DV 10x5 on a P6. Impressive bit of kit for the money.
With an LP12 there is always temptation to improve one aspect or the other. It greatly appeals to the TT tweaker, the naim power supply obsessive etc. Where as the Rega is simple. Very little upgrade options apart from the next model up.
Depends what the OP wants. I’ve always avoided the LP12 because I don’t have the self control required to know when to stop.

1 Like

You do not have to respond to this.
No more than you do with a Naim amp set up.
Its voluntary… :crazy_face:

My own LP12 was bought new, in 1981. There was a ‘flurry’ of early upgrades - but then nothing but TLC until 2018, when I - finally - went Cirkus.

More recently, this year, my Valhalla was first serviced (first time since new) - then replaced by a Lingo Mk1 - which was then serviced. If I can find a used Kore, thats a probable move - but I am not rushing - or looking very hard… :crazy_face:

Self Control… is whats needed.

6 Likes

I can resist everything, except temptation.

1 Like

Oscar Wilde…?

1 Like

Perhaps? A mate of mine used to say it too.

Agreed Lindsay. This is what’s caused me to deliberate over the purchase. More than anything, this potential purchase is being fuelled by a curiosity to experience a different type of sound and not necessarily a simple logical step in improving the sonic characteristics of my system. I feel like going up the Rega ladder is going to give me more Rega, which is not a bad thing, it’s just not a new thing. Generally speaking, I’m fairly practical so this process has been a real challenge for me.

I’ve already got a line on a Cirkus bearing kit :grinning:

Most of the bearing kits I’ve seen in North America are just the bearing and inner platter. You absolutely MUST have the double thickness subchassis to get the most out of the Cirkus.

In advance, thank you to everyone for the input, it’s immensely appreciated. The deal fell apart but I’m better armed for my next opportunity to acquire an LP12 which will come some day.

In response, I decided to buy a Planar 6 as a stop gap before the North American price increase on January 1st. It wasn’t the direction I initially wanted to go but I have to say I’m very pleased with the results. It’s a considerable improvement over my early P3 and I was able to recycle my low-hour Exact cartridge.

5 Likes

That’s a shame, but as you say you’ve learned a lot more about LP12 options, should you go there in future. The Planar 6 is lovely and the fact you can set it up in five minutes and know it’s working properly is a big bonus.

1 Like

IMHO the LP12 is old technology with constant upgrades to keep it ‘current’. There are now many more turntables that easily compete and overtake it for sound quality and ease of set up and use. Linn have always locked the user into its dealer network to make adjustments and fit cartridges etc. Break free is my advice.

3 Likes

Yes - but vinyl is ‘old technology’ anyhow!

2 Likes

People experience music differently and have different tastes. I home dem’d a P10 for a week or so and found my Valhalla/Ittok/VM95E deck far more engaging. Obviously, it didn’t offer anything like the HiFi resolution and clarity but music was a lot more enjoyable.

To the OP, defo best avoid mk 1 Akitos unless buying from a reputable dealer. I think it’s mainly the horizontal bearings that used to go. Mine was very well cared for and still failed after about 10 years. Whereas, Ittok’s seem to hold up very well, although I’m sure knackered ones are being passed around online markets, hence worth buying from a Linn dealer where possible.

2 Likes

“Constant upgrades” is more to do with the mindset of a serial upgrader rather than the LP12 itself.

My LP12 is going to my dealer next week for only it’s second upgrade (other than MC cartridge replacement) since I bought it in 1990. I have upgraded my Naim amplifier and speakers on a more frequent basis.

5 Likes