Linn platter

Hello yes my old turntable was almost flush which is exactly my point, and as these are both new it should be compatible, the way Linn work if indeed this was intentional I’m sure it would have had a name and a press release, or am I been cynical, on a completely different note I picked up a late olive xps to go with my cdx, needs a service which will be done when I get the turntable sorted, regards to all, all suggestions are taken into account and reflected on.

1 Like

My 81 vintage, pre-Cirkus bearing, has a very slight step between outer & inner platters, but you’d need spark plug feeler gauges to determine the step size!

1 Like

Hello and thanks for reply, I believe that would be correct just a very small gap to allow for record label, same on my original turntable.

1 Like

Hello again I must say the supplying dealer of the parts and Moorgate have both been amazing and incredibly helpful, the downside apart from the shine has been taken off what I consider a major investment is it will take a considerable amount of cash, time and and driving a few hundred miles to sort out.

1 Like

I do not see why 0.5mm would cause the record to be unsupported the Felt mat would not drop this distance without a record weight. Factor in the lable area thickness it seems a good fit. If anything it will give more pressure on the outside rim of the LP. (allthough not much )
which is where it needs to be.

From what i can see except my ORBE which has both a Screw down clamp and a Dished Platter. Records no matter what the mat are only in support platter contact with about 60% of their surface, it is just the way it is because the medium was never designed for anything else.

I don’t think that’s the bigger issue. If the outer platter isn’t fully engaged with the inner platter, then you have a cavity between the two. That’s how my first Cirkus upgrade went (the new inner platter was just a hair too large for the old outer platter to fit flush - and sounded awful).

Hello
Actually the difference is over .5 mm check out the post image number 4 the chamfered area on the blade is 2mm making the gap well over .5 mm,
I contacted Richard at Linn customer support who confirmed the gap should be minimal to accommodate the label lust a thick piece of paper, Linn have been turning out turntables for over 30 years of which I have owned two previous ones, both of which had a near flat platters, I understood the felt Matt was to allow for the label, so unless Linn had it wrong for quite a lot of years I subscribe to the idea that the engineering tolerances have gone out the window, if this was by intentional design than I’m sure it would have been mentioned by the factory, and I agree a hollow unsupported portion of the record will affect sound quality.

1 Like

The Outer platter only engages at the mating surface.
As i said the level difference is not sonic.
There is 50 different things that go on fitting Cirkus so?? unless you swapped 2 platters AFTER
rebuild and not with a earlier sample as they all sound different even due to the coating it would not be a definitive result.

I will try and make this simpler it would not matter if the inner platter was down 1 cm.
As it is not necessary to support the lable - only the Playing surface.

1 Like

And a perfectly level record rarely exists to begin with

Hello thank you all for your input, I have after some thought and consideration put this issue to bed, both myself and the supplying dealer of the platter and bearing contacted Linn, both got the same answer the gap should be paper thick, perhaps the customer service department is unaware of the acceptable tolerances, I have now been shown multiple newish turntables most of which have a gap similar to mine, therefore I intend to forget the issue and get on with what I should have been doing days ago enjoying the music, anyway thanks again and kind regards.

8 Likes

But - in your case - this is not true. So… sorry Linn, something seems to be wrong. And if other new LP12’s show the same discrepancy, this confirms there is an issue.

Should Do Better - IMO… YMMV, as always.

I never thought about this height difference untl Neil1956 highlighed this point, so I flipped up my Collaro mat and the outer platter is marginally HIGHER than the inner. This with an outer platter I foget how old it is and a Karouse rebuildl about 18 months ago. I can just feel the difference when I run my finger over the join but its tiny.
With all the variables in record and label thickness plus the mat I don’t think it will keep me awake at night.
Enjoy the music.

2 Likes

This shenanigans has got me looking at my Rega. The outer platter is a tad higher than the inner, but in this case the inner platter - or rather the part of it that is visible - is very small. This means that the label must be supporting the record to some extent, and the mat is much thinner than an LP12’s. Then again, some turntables don’t have a mat at all, so I imagine it doesn’t really matter. Sorry about the pun.

1 Like

My Heybrook TT2 from 1982 is very similar to this, I assumed this is how it was intended to be.
Besides, adequately supported or not, it is best not to try to play the label section. :0)

Hello
Well actually I may not quite have put this to bed just yet, the dealer who supplied bearing has sent me another new one, the finish is uniform unlike the first which was patchy, I will in the very near future arrange to have the existing replaced at Moorgate, you never know the gap may have reduced or actually increased only time will tell, as to Linn I am disappointed with the customer service, I offered to buy a new bearing kit and platter if on return of the existing they would credit me, they absolutely refused and would not match inner and outer even if the dealer purchased nor would they agree to refund, so the customer service tells you they are wrong and the factory will not help rectify, rather arrogant in my opinion, this will be the last Lp12 I purchase.

2 Likes

Hello
Thank goodness Naim look after loyal customers with a level of customer service others should aspire to.

Yes… :astonished:

I’ve a funny feeling that Cymbiosis told me that the newer/current outer platters are slightly different to older ones, or was it that inner platters are slightly different with Karousel?