LISTENING EXPERIENCE for linear ps and switches

OK @Gazza, that’s it. I am ordering an ER!

Can you remind me of the website where you ordered from (presumably Uptone’s) and the pro and cons of ordering here vs the UK site. (I hope this doesn’t break Forum rules BTW).

Have you had a bill for import duty/tax yet, and do you expect one.

2 Likes

Hi Nigel i ordered directly from the manufacturer, it was 640 dollars plus 34 dollars shipping. There are online duty/vat calculators You can use. My preference is also to use Mastercard as you get the exchange rate that is posted each day ie today would 1.315.
No i have yet to hear about the duty, have to presume they will catch up, but if not you are a bit better off.
Just remembered the manufacturer valued it for customs at 150 dollars plus the 34 for
shipping so the duty and vat i owe will be £35 i hope. So at todays prices thats £512 plus a potential £35 duty and vat.
Ps i had to use uk mains lead, but i had one spare

1 Like

Good luck … I think you will enjoy!!

Yep, also pulled the trigger😊

2 Likes

I think you will be delighted…when I updated my switch everything improved like a black box upgrade :smiley:

1 Like

I wish my experience mirrored yours to such a degree; but then again, maybe it’s best it didn’t. Here were my quick impressions: Cisco Catalyst 2960 before Uptone etherRegen (or eR by itself)?
Good luck to @Gazza and @Scrouch12! Chances are it’ll do wonders as it has hundreds of others.

2 Likes

I would like to try one, but i dont know if it will do much for me, or even anything, being a DCS rossini owner.
A thread on the DCS forum, wasn’t very, lets say excited about the ER switch, or any switch, let alone one with an added ps.

Ok Gazza, just ordered one of these as a punt. If no difference I figure I can sell on again on eBay.
I will connect in into my house Cisco Catalyst infrastructure (I don’t get what people mean when they say connect with a 2960 or without… it’s as if they are daisy chaining for the sake of it which is not good, the ER has only a tiny number of ports, and even their instruction guide recommends connecting to a switch) Anyway that is the most direct and reliable way and provides all the switch group traffic protection. Technically the EtherRegen looks like a basic cut through frame buffer switch with a very stable transport clock and good serial line terminations…
Let’s see what It sounds like…

3 Likes

Good on you Simon…it will be £1500 short of a Melco😉
Preparing to go into hiding after my post😬

You don’t need to sell it . With Uptone you have 14 days trial and return possibility. You pay just the shipping return.

Ahh ok thanks… I didn’t see that mentioned from the UK distributor.

1 Like

Simon,
If you call Martin Smith, he is very flexible when it comes to trial demos. My experience with Audiostore’s service and support has been wholly positive.

Best regards, BF

1 Like

Under UK law you have the ‘right to cancel’ for 14 days for any purchase of an item you were not able to see before purchase. So any online/mail order/phone purchase. Any online retailer will be aware of this, and I’m sure most are happy enough to comply - it feeds nicely into the home demo requirement for audio gear.

I’m definitely feeling compelled to at least try an ER. Just need to try to source myself a home demo somehow.

They’re available on sale or return, but you can borrow one of mine for a few days if you like.

3 Likes

That’s extremely kind of you Michael. I’ll drop you an email shortly.
All the best,
Kevin

Oh mine is wired in… in my setup it’s is marginal, but has caused a different audio signature.
I’ll see how it evolves, if at all, over the coming days.

Did you use a RJ45 port or the SFP ?

Using Twisted pair as I am using my NDX2.
I haven’t used a RJ45 SFP, as there is a built in RJ45 port available.

Perhaps my question was unclear/accurate. Sorry for that.

Is your setup like :

[Home_Network]----(fiber)----[ER]—(twisted_pairs)—[NDX2]

or like so :

[Home_Network]----(twisted_pairs)----[ER]—(twisted_pairs)—[NDX2]