LISTENING EXPERIENCE for linear ps and switches

well, there seems to be confusion in profusion in this thread that isn’t dead …

…grief, it’s contagious, which is outrageous…

1 Like

I got competition, and with the use of longer words.

Damn……

1 Like

A review of the Telegärtner switch ( 4k), Jcat lan cable( 1k), and Jcat Optimo duo linear ps ( 1,3 k).
6 moons audio

Optimo duo

I have a similar front end and run my Melco normally in direct mode to player with the Melco LAN port back to my internet interface router. Do you find the switch still offers improvement with the Melco in local mode?
I assume the switch is between Melco and your LAN/internet router.

1 Like

Yes, it still makes a real improvement. Melco to switch and Melco to Nds by erhernet.

french…but the more step improvement are for those who does not use Melco

So pleased you are finding how good the ER is like many of us hereabouts. I am feeding my ER A side direct from my router with Catsnake 5e, a long run from the office to the listening room, then ER B side to my Melco N1 with Catsnake 6a (Floating) , then Melco to ND555 using a True Signals ethernet cable as recommended by my dealer.

I use another feed from the router going to my Cisco 2960 which feeds all the other devices around the house, Sky box and so on.

I am using my ER with its own supplied PS which is giving me such good results I am not yet feeling inclined to try another PS, although I recognise this is worthwhile, so maybe one day!

Thanks also to Michaelb for his honest assessment of the Melco switch, reassuring that you are sticking with the ER.

2 Likes

Good to know. I’ll have to try and get a demo

1 Like

I’m running a Paul Pang Quad switch, it’s been in for about 3 months so has settled and it’s a vast and lovely improvement on the already great value (used blue) 2960 that I was running for about 6 months.
One should expect a vast improvement of course because in reality it should be compared to running 4 x 2960’s (or other switches) in sequence.
I decided though that for the price vs his reputation that I’d bite the bullet and just proceed on spec with the Paul Pang.
I haven’t seen anyone else on the forum using this - its his new reference switch, but I haven’t compared it to ER, EE etc, only my old 2960.

I found a very significant uptick in SQ by going direct from the switch into the ND555 (so bypassing the Melco NZ2S) and putting the Melco into the input section of the switch.
This will vary substantially of course between systems, and most specifically with different ethernet cables.
Previously with the 2960, I was running Melco cat7 upgrade ethernet from the switch to the Melco, then ChordMusic from the Melco to ND555 - but two bars of a reference song proved that going direct from the Paul Pang switch with the ChordMusic to the ND555 proved a no-brainer (I had first set up the Pang with sequential switch > Melco > ND555 configuration.

I’ve only yesterday received a Synergistic Research Galileo ethernet cable to replace the Melco cat 7, and will report once it settles in.
Immediate impressions are that it’s in a different league, as it should be, insofar as detail and transparency go, with no negatives yet.

Ultimately it will be perhaps even more interesting to hear how the SR Gallileo ethernet compares to the ChordMusic if the former was going from switch to ND555.
Lot’s more configurations to experiment with in due course!

3 Likes

Why do you say that? You have yourself a Melco. I don’t understand Meni.

I had a Paul Pang tcxo switch on test 2 years ago, powered by Hdplex 200W. It was around 400 dollars switch.
I preferred, at that time, the Cisco, sounding more involving and full, organic.
But I don’t know the model you have, the reference.

I’m curious as to why cascading, what looks like 4 identical switches, is a subjective improvement over a single switch ? Can anyone explain ?

What about what I said, i was very clear…right we do have a Melco,
my comment is for those not using melco will get more improvment with a switch…our Melco by himself is a kind of a switch …therefore the different in terms of sound wiil be smaller… don’t understand???

1 Like

Just wondering if anybody had compared, or have an opinion, on this MCRU LPS for ER option 3 vs a SJ DC3 ?
contemplating one or the other…
Thx

After several enforced power downs for lightening and noticing that the system comes back sounding better after the somewhat lengthy warm up time after long outages, I now turn the power off if I sense the sound softening to the slightly dull level.

It could be that turning the power off for a short while is an effect that needs to be considered in any comparison testing.

I certainly recommend that you try this (20 minutes say). I suspect it is to do with the power supplies.

Phil

1 Like

I try to power down every month ish. I just check the cable dressing etc and give a quick wipe over and it always sounds fresher on power up. Just like if we have an afternoon catnap I guess!!

1 Like

I haven’t read such comparisons. Only me and @Nestor_Burma have the MCRU.
If you have more than one items, better go with DC3.
All I can say is that the MCRU I have is the best from all I had in the past, even the Uptone Js2 I feel.

1 Like

It’s the wipe that did it.

1 Like

Hi FR…on the mcru page i could not see any current rating, is it a 1 amp or 2 amp psu?

Gazza, I believe you are going to demo the ER switch and the Plixir power supply. May I ask where you are with these demos.