LISTENING EXPERIENCE for linear ps and switches

Right hand board looks to me like cheap knock off of the Left.
Interested to know why the main chip on the knock off appears to have melted like cheese on toast (rareBIT?)

1 Like

oh wellā€¦ you pays your money and took your chances.

The success or failure of a product in terms of sales depends on the buyers and whether they perceive that the product is worth the asking price.

sadly in many cases the answer is a resounding no. but sometimes the asking price is worth it.

Itā€™s up to companies to decide whether they want to endure for decades with the kind of reputation like Naim

It seems the owner of Buffalo and Melco may be too wealthy to care anyway.

Itā€™s just thermal paste that has not been cleaned off before the pictures were taken. Thereā€™s normally a heatsink attached to this device.

Bluestreak. I worked at site B Stevenage which became the Satellites builders.

It became better, like a good wine.

Hello,

I had the opportunity to power a Switch Silent Angel with a KingRex power supply.
I didnā€™t like the effect of the KingRex on the Switch, always this systematic impression that the sound is pushed to the ends of the spectrum, silent yes, but so boring.
On my Silent Angel Bonn N8, I much prefer an SBooster which keeps the music alive with a midrange that is very expressive.

2 Likes

Funny,
I had the Silent Angel with the SBooster PS; To me this combo sounded verry boring. I stayed with the Ciscoā€™s. Maybe in time Iā€™ll try the EE.

Best

Gerben

2 Likes

It makes me want to come back to the Cisco 2960 for a while :blush:

1 Like

Well i have had the ER switch for seven days now. So with my daughter having finally got her post Uni job, i have the house to myself, and not to forget the house ā€œ pet bunnyā€.
So this morning i played a few tracks and then replaced the ER with my Cisco 2960. Hmm, it was a bit of a shock really, the same tracks sounded more muddled, lacking in clarity and timing. The texture of voices had hardened, it just was not as cohesive as before. A few tracks and i had enough and swapped the ER back in. It all came flooding back the impeccable timingā€¦never heard Steve Gadd,s drumming sounds so good, the Piano is just beautiful, voices a delight to listen to, cohesive and musical, a joy to listen to. Probably one of the best upgrades i have done in a long time. Worth mentioning i have happily used a Cisco 2960 for a few years now, but no going back now. In a few weeks i will borrow a twin rail Plixir power supply to try.

10 Likes

Good news Gazza :+1:. Itā€™s difficult for people to trust that a switch can transform the sound like that.
What is the Steve Gadd album ? I like him too

I was listening to his drumming solo on the track Aja by Steely Dan.

2 Likes

OK @Gazza, thatā€™s it. I am ordering an ER!

Can you remind me of the website where you ordered from (presumably Uptoneā€™s) and the pro and cons of ordering here vs the UK site. (I hope this doesnā€™t break Forum rules BTW).

Have you had a bill for import duty/tax yet, and do you expect one.

2 Likes

Hi Nigel i ordered directly from the manufacturer, it was 640 dollars plus 34 dollars shipping. There are online duty/vat calculators You can use. My preference is also to use Mastercard as you get the exchange rate that is posted each day ie today would 1.315.
No i have yet to hear about the duty, have to presume they will catch up, but if not you are a bit better off.
Just remembered the manufacturer valued it for customs at 150 dollars plus the 34 for
shipping so the duty and vat i owe will be Ā£35 i hope. So at todays prices thats Ā£512 plus a potential Ā£35 duty and vat.
Ps i had to use uk mains lead, but i had one spare

1 Like

Good luck ā€¦ I think you will enjoy!!

Yep, also pulled the triggeršŸ˜Š

2 Likes

I think you will be delightedā€¦when I updated my switch everything improved like a black box upgrade :smiley:

1 Like

I wish my experience mirrored yours to such a degree; but then again, maybe itā€™s best it didnā€™t. Here were my quick impressions: Cisco Catalyst 2960 before Uptone etherRegen (or eR by itself)?
Good luck to @Gazza and @Scrouch12! Chances are itā€™ll do wonders as it has hundreds of others.

2 Likes

I would like to try one, but i dont know if it will do much for me, or even anything, being a DCS rossini owner.
A thread on the DCS forum, wasnā€™t very, lets say excited about the ER switch, or any switch, let alone one with an added ps.

Ok Gazza, just ordered one of these as a punt. If no difference I figure I can sell on again on eBay.
I will connect in into my house Cisco Catalyst infrastructure (I donā€™t get what people mean when they say connect with a 2960 or withoutā€¦ itā€™s as if they are daisy chaining for the sake of it which is not good, the ER has only a tiny number of ports, and even their instruction guide recommends connecting to a switch) Anyway that is the most direct and reliable way and provides all the switch group traffic protection. Technically the EtherRegen looks like a basic cut through frame buffer switch with a very stable transport clock and good serial line terminationsā€¦
Letā€™s see what It sounds likeā€¦

3 Likes

Good on you Simonā€¦it will be Ā£1500 short of a MelcošŸ˜‰
Preparing to go into hiding after my postšŸ˜¬