LISTENING EXPERIENCE for linear ps and switches

If it’s a spare Powerline great. Otherwise get Sean Jacobs’ Powerblack on sale or return. I prefer it and it costs much less. You could put the money towards that 2nd 555PS if you agree :wink:

2 Likes

I did a change to a new router … mean time for 3 days everything is better…sound Is incredible…anyway I need to be sure for more next weeks

Thanks for the tip @Michaelb I’ve just ordered 2 of SJ’s Powerblacks on spec. One to feed the eR and another with a slim IEC to feed the Klimax Radikal on my Sondek. Fingers crossed that I like them, but both cables together are still only 2/3rds of the cost of a single Powerline, so not too much to lose here I guess…
He only has the Silver plated mains plugs currently though. Do you have any views on these vs the normal MK brass plugs?
Cheers,
Kevin

I haven’t tried them, so can’t say anything at all. I did try the super thick silver cable, which wasn’t my cup of tea - but then - at least so far - silver cables never have been: I find they lose visceral textures and PRaT compared to a good copper.

Hope you get on with the Powerblacks. I like them and definitely find the power blocks with them better than both the Powerigel and Powerigel Plus…

1 Like

Thanks Mike,
I thought about getting Sean’s powerblock instead to replace everything, but it would have been a quite substantial outlay and would make my Powerline, PL lite and Wireworld Matrix2 powerblock all redundant, so chose to go half way and save the rest towards that second 555PS :crazy_face:
I did discuss options with Sean and asked him what I should use as a distribution block (if not his own) and he volunteered the Matrix2 as a reasonable compromise, so I’m pretty happy I think…

1 Like

Review of the Sean Jacobs DC3 and DC4 in the Audiophile site.
May interest @Michaelb , @MidnightRambler and others. As owners of the Chord Dave too.

1 Like

Whats the Audiophile site Roost? Sorry for being dumb but this forum is as far as my ‘audiophile’ interest reaches!! Having said that I would be interested to hear what others think of the CHC power supplies as I am super happy with my DC3/DC4 hybrid.

The “Audiophile site “ is the new site, ex “computer audio “ site. You tap audiophile site on google and the recent review is on the Sean Jacobs DC4 and other associated components, by a reviewer that seems to know something on audio. Worth to read .
I can’t publish a link, due to forum rules.

1 Like

My next purchase will be the ocxo Chinese clock. Some found a real improvement, on an other thread regarding Etheregen.
This clock costs around 100 dollars, so I feel it’s worth to try.

1 Like

Be interested in how the clock experiment improves your SQ. For now i am just letting my new Plixir 2 rail psu burn in with silver cable(s). On having a good look through the Uptone linked website i noticed the Uptone CEO mentioning that they have plans already on the drawing table of a 2 - 3 k dollars version 2…that was 9 months or so ago. I might sit on my hands for a while.

1 Like

I don’t particularly want to start performing open heart surgery on Dave, but I guess mixing the powerful SMPSs of Chord devices with linear powered Naim boxes on the same rack might not be ideal, so perhaps there are gains to be had, especially for Naim users.

1 Like

Version of lps or Etheregen?

Alex of Uptone mentioned they have a few products on paper, one of them a new Etherregen in the 2 - 3 k U.S dollars region with a 650 dollar clock? As ever, how long do you wait…but it was mentioned quite some time ago

Good news! I didn’t know. So maybe worth waiting? It’s quite sure I will be one of the first buyer :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Exactly where i am, but of course they will never let on…when. I am sure Covid will have slowed it down as well.

The reviewer insisted on the fact that he has absolutely no commercial relationships with the products reviewed. And for him the addition of the DC4 on his Dave was sensational.
So maybe worth try a good linear ps on the Dave. And eventually return if no real benefits.

Hi Gazza,

A more accurate, and stable, clock surely is a nice addition, but not sure that a switch with a “traditional” copper based approach is the best way to go.

As long as there is a metallic connection between the streamer and the network there will be noise transmission.

Optical connections have their own drawbacks but at least they provide a complete isolation. It is an elegant solution to transmitted noise issues. Perhaps this new EtherRegen will offer some interesting optical options.

I use my EtherRegen with optical fiber. I did some backs and forth, between copper and fibre, and it appears that the optical connection is the best choice, in my system.

MSB Audio chose a similar approach for the digital interfaces on their flagship the MSB Select DAC II.

MSB seams to be a very interesting company, and the Select DAC II is really a nice piece of kit!

I feel you are theoretically convinced that optical is the best solution. So you choosed it . But have you tried the Etheregen directly from the router, with quality ethernet cables, without the Cisco and Optical rendu?
I feel you have not tried, but may be wrong of course.

Indeed FR. Nick Bacon of WAVE High Fidelity Cables was one of the first, if not the first person to try the DC4 on his DAVE and was mightily impressed. It replaced a DC3. He has since also added a DC3 for his M Scaler.

As word has spread, more & more people are realising just how capable DAVE is as a dac. Inevitably, the itch to “upgrade” sets in which leads owners to the decision about whether to cancel any remaining Chord warranty on their own dac by sending it to Sean Jacobs.

It seems that there is no limit to how important a very good power supply can be to the ultimate sound quality. Naim has known this for years, hence the Hicap, Supercap, XPS and 555PS range of external power supplies. Sean Jacobs makes his living from it too.

I am feeling very fortunate indeed to no longer have the shelf space available to fit in another external power supply like a DC4!

Best regards, BF

1 Like

And not to have to take apart your DAVE, literally!

If you take a closer look at the picture you’ll notice the SMP has been removed. The external LPS is directly connected to the DAVE’s PCB board.

One question remains, is it the new power supply that brings the uplift or the fact that a potential noise source has been removed from within the case?

1 Like