LISTENING EXPERIENCE for linear ps and switches

Mike,

If my memory serves me correctly, Chord, the cable company based in Amesbury, was set up by an ex Naim man. Initially, I think everything was designed and made locally, although actual raw cable might have been outsourced.

Not sure whether there was any amicable cooperation or not, but I think There was quite a bit of synergy to begin with.

As to where things are designed and made now, I’m not sure but others are no doubt better informed.

1 Like

My colleague Bob was a Lightning driver. Prone to engine fires, limited role. Only just enough fuel for one immediate intercept followed by a virtual glide back to base. And a crap radar system.

F4 was far more effective.

1 Like

The Chord Cable Company was founded by Sally Gibb, who was married to Naim’s Paul Stephenson. Essentially it was started with the aim of providing interconnect cables for connecting other brands of equipment to Naim pre-amps. Obviously it has since grown considerably beyond that now.

3 Likes

The cars are still built on the U.K. although parts are sourced world wide, like most things we buy.

Thanks for that Richard, memory was fading. Now refreshed. Thanks !

2 Likes

… they still made small boys very excited when watching at Farnborough.
I was very close to having a ride a few years back in one of the pair owned by Thunder City in Cape Town, but they were grounded & have been ever since.

You must have been gutted, chance of a lifetime, great shame. I expect they run out of spares or airframe airworthiness?

Choosing whether (or not) to boycott a country’s products in reaction to coronavirus is a complex matter, and indeed best discussed elsewhere, such as the coronavirus thread.

How close was close? Hopefully not sitting in the cockpit about to start the engines close! That would have been massively disappointing!

…and, as I have previously requested, any national “blame game” is best not discussed on this forum. Thank you.

2 Likes

Oh! I agree Mike. Bob is probably prejudiced because he bailed out at night over the Med out of Cyprus when a fuel line burst and caught fire.

But they were certainly a sight to see. And hear.

It was a safety standard non compliance issue compounded by a fatal crash.
All aircraft with ejector seats must have them tested on a regular basis (like an MoT) & the only people certified for this is the mnftr Martin-Baker & that means a 2 way flight to CPT from UK & it all adds up to being expensive & it seems Thunder City chose to let the MoT(s) ‘expire’. Then one of the aircraft crashed while taking part in an airshow, it suffered a hydraulics failure & the ejector seat failed.

1 Like

I thought Richard had banned discussions of conspiracy theories because of their political nature. So not sure it should be discussed anywhere on the forum, @Richard.Dane will correct me if I’m wrong.

I tend to avoid products from PRC if I can (have done for years as I like locally sourced products), but I use Apple computers so I have to accept it is not always possible.

Still @frenchrooster kicked off this thread to say how much he was enjoying his system with a new switch and PSU. So lets all be happy be happy for him. Good news stories are few and far between these days.

Sorry posted first and read this afterwards.

2 Likes

Indeed he has, though I don’t know if it was for the reason you suggest. However I’m a bit puzzled as to why you think I was referencing a conspiracy theory – I don’t think I was! Anyway that is all ended here.

1 Like

Sorry I can’t answer that because if I explained why I thought you were then I would be breaching the rules so please accept that I accept if you say you were not then you’re not as I know we both respect the rules of the forum - tap or click here for a nice bit of fiddle muzak.

2 Likes

The parts used in the ER are detailed on Uptone’s site. This can be easily verified if it is the case, or not.

Do they really have a complete parts list, including identifying a verified country of manufacture of every chip, capacitor, resistor, connector etc? Many of these things are made in multiple countries, and even parts wholesalers do not necessarily identify the origin unless specifically asked in relation to a particular consignment.

I’m not asking out of any interest in pursuing, just pointing out that the detail is rarely known, and would likely take a lot of effort by the end product manufacturer to identify, or to ensure specific sources or avoidance of specific sources, so unless they confirm that they do that then it cannot be assumed.

Were you the one firmly recommended the ER? Is it that good?

It also begs the question of whether the music data couldn’t be stored on the DAC/streamer device tout court.

Today, reliable memory is very cheap and by having the storage and the server alongside the DAC, one could completely avoid the impact of network cables, switches, SPDIF cables and their ancillary power supplies.

It seems to me very strange that we have replaced traditional CD players with very complicated, distributed systems involving boutique SPDIF cables, multiple switches, their ancillary power supplies, servers, streamers, network players …

Why not a simple, single box with an SSD drive instead of a CD reader? No need to fiddle around with network switches and more time to listen to music!

4 Likes

I think you mean specifically IGMP… (internet Group Management Protocol) … where this is relevant for us in audio land, is that devices that snoop IGMP, like Cisco Catalyst switches, good ISP routers etc, sniff the network, and only send multicast group data to devices that have actively joined a group… this stops connected devices like streamers having to process and discard network frames from groups they don’t belong to, causing low level processing noise.
The typical home network has several multicast groups on these days for home automation and discovery related activities… even UPnP DLNA uses a group.

A basic consumer, typically unconfigurable switch, will gratuitously broadcast group data to any host whether it wants it for not. A home network with severeal groups on it, this is not good for high SQ and low noise from streamers. This is one of the differences between most unamanaged switches and a Cisco 2960 for example., and why a 2960 is ideal for audio use.

For regular unicast data, switches already filter traffic, hence the advantage of a switch over a hub or wifi. The most basic of switches does this (by definition)

ICMP is for diagnostic purposes, and examples that use ICMP packets are trace route or ping.

BTW with regard to other comments about so called linear power supplies on network switches… do remember that internally most switches use DC converters, which are DC to DC switch mode power supplies.

2 Likes