Litter and pollution

This is true. In North Wiltshire such kids are called nozzers. I find these cylinders frequently in one of the fields on the approach to our house. Last year I found a box of exhausted cylinders (I think the box indicated that the cylinders were for cake decorating, or similar). Someone had had the thought to put them back in the box, but then left them there in the field.

1 Like

Yes, I thought those were NO too.

Funnily enough I’ve only started seeing them littering the kerbsides in the last 6-9 months locally, often when walking the last stretch to work.

The erroneous belief in the ‘harmless’ effect of ‘laughing gas’ may be instilled in many of us who will remember the ‘mess party’ in Doctor in Clover:

Sorry can’t help laughing when Joan Sims starts to squawk!

1 Like

Could well be NO canisters - I’ve not heard of these before. They look the very spit of tyre inflators ( I have some somewhere left over from some road trip or other)…must be a lot of giggling people out there.

Hmm - there seems to be these

and these (which i normally find)

Either is annoying when left lying around, whether you’re re-inflating tyres or entertaining yourself !

1 Like

Thread drift, but funnily enough I was going to ask the keen cyclists about these gas tyre inflaters - any good?

I have an old Zefal track pump and cannot find the Presta adapter for the kids bikes.

Have been struggling with an old hand pump and one of those tubular adapters but it leaks.

Have been meaning to order some screw on ‘adapters’ or new tubular adapter from Amazon for weeks.

In the end picked up a new ‘track pump’ for a fiver from Home Bargains with Presta and Schrader connection - if it’s rubbish little lost.

What possible use could there be for so much whipped cream outside catering? :thinking:

1 Like

They’re pretty good as a quick fix out on a ride. I’ve used them as a get-me-home when on my road bike. God knows how many one would need for mtb tyres, so off-road I always took a mini pump.

Looking at the pictures (thanks @james_n!), the difference seems to be threaded ends. I’ll look more closely next time I see one. Which won’t be long!

1 Like

Cheers - I’d assumed you’d get a few inflations from a single cartridge - perhaps not from the sounds of it!

@Alley_Cat
It has been quite awhile since I used one, or two!
Pretty much a one-shot deal iirc.

1 Like

I carry a couple with me in my saddle pack, but I have never used em, I use a mini pump. I am so tight! Lol

1 Like

Those carts will fully inflate a 700c road tyre with enough to spare, I’ve used them when a slow puncture didn’t warrant stopping to fix it but whacking enough air in a few times got me home. The important factor is that they fill the tube with CO2 not normal air, and that escapes from a tube more quickly hence the tube won’t remain at optimum pressure for as long so you’re at greater risk of pinch flats. The suggested use is as a get you home fix then deflate and reinflate with a proper pump [track pumps are best] once you get home. Mini-pumps are fine for an endless supply of air but the three I’ve owned couldn’t get enough pressure into the tube, and I’ve ripped a valve out at least once when trying. The box of 32 carts I bought a few years ago may turn out to be a lifetime’s supply now I can’t fit in 3-4-5 thousand miles a year, but at £17 for 32 it was a much better deal than three for a tenner in a blister pack from the bike shop.

Litter. Hanging’s too good for people who discard litter - absolute scum. My favourite tale [true] was a couple of work colleagues from a few years ago who I saw tossing their sandwich wrappings on the pavement as they walked back to work from the shop. Back in the car park later on I asked one why he felt able to litter the environment. His response was simply that he didn’t care, so I poured a cup of coffee over his cassette collection in his door pocket - before he could begin his outburst, I told him it’s okay John, I don’t care about your car.

My beef with litter these days is as much with those who drive to the countryside and dump piles of tyres, household rubbish, old furniture etc in farm gateways as it is with the McDonald’s Mile louts. Utter scum, every one of them.

3 Likes

Good tips on the CO2 inflators, thanks.

I’ve got a decent 20+ year old Zefal track pump but can’t find the Presta adapter. I know I’ve got several mini-pumps too, but where, like everything it seems is a mystery. I’ve spent hours tonight looking for some microSD cards - I think one may be in the hoover bag (bloody Miele is too powerful sometimes) - the number of times in recent years I’ve had to open the bag to check for tiny items inadvertently hoovered up, not to mention two mice I’ve caught with it!

My 2020-2021 goal has to be a major declutter when tips are open for refuse not just recyclables.

Littering apathy is a bit like recycling apathy.

I work on a floor with maybe 10-12 colleagues and a shared printer room/library.

A few years ago I managed to get a decent sized recycling bin on our floor and stuck it outside the printer room and was quite chuffed until it seemed I was the only one using it.

Cleaners rarely go into our individual offices now so we leave the small waste bins outside.

I’m (normally) gobsmacked daily that there is so much recyclable material in these small black wastebins that if people could be arsed to walk from 1-20 feet they could easily put stuff in recycling, and when these colleagues are pretty well educated people it’s thoroughly depressing at times.

Yeah, I’d be wary of automatically assuming they are from bike tyre inflation.

1 Like

In our office, our personal waste-baskets get automatically emptied, but emptying our recycling bins is on us (go figure?). I barely-ever print anything, and my recycling bin went several years before requiring emptying.

Yeah, I carry them in events only, and have never used one.

There’s a big enough problem round here with them being left behind after our local youths have congregated, along with food packaging, drinks cans & bottles. I’d need some persuading that said youths have taken up cycling en masse and are all suffering numerous punctures where they all meet.

Nitrous Oxide is the current fad.

Btw office recycling doesn’t happen in our building. When I raised it the half-hearted message was that all waste that goes into the same bins is sorted after collection. Yh right; there’s a process that extracts recyclable content from the used tissues, teabags, banana skins and food waste? I take mine home now to go in our recycling, but for a modern go-ahead multi-national it’s disappointing.

1 Like

Today’s Guardian has an article entitled more face masks than jelly fish.Sea pollution being the subject. Yesterday I took Albert for a trot from the recently reopened RSPB car park along a public foot path.
I counted three discarded face masks as well as the usual heaps of dog crap and mucous? laden tissues.
N

I read recently that the Nepalese authorities were due to clean up Everest this climbing season, but because of the COVID-19 lockdown it hasn’t been done.
Last year the queue to reach the summit was so long that two climbers could barely pass each other (1 up and 1 down); worse still there were several instances of climbers ignoring others who had died. Of course, to stop and help would jeopardise ones own health and safety due to lack of oxygen.

Just for once, I wished Naim offered the thumbs down facility for pictures .

1 Like