London and UK Jazz Scene - recommendations and discoveries

Blimey, Foulden Road…I used to live round the corner.

1 Like

Dalston boy eh?

1 Like

More Stokey…but lived in Homerton & Clapton too.
And Newington Green!
Finsbury Park too. I moved around a bit…

1 Like

Stan Tracey’s son.

3 Likes

Thanks Clive, I’m getting my Traceys in a mucky fuddle!
Anyone seen my coat?
:joy:

1 Like
1 Like

If you havent already do check out his solo debut Fyah, not so keen on his new one though

1 Like

:heart:

1 Like

From All about jazz Italia:

« Cover graphics and titles refer to the Sun Ra galaxy and similar or to musicians such as Pharoah Sanders and Alice Coltrane characterized by an intense spirituality and a keen interest in oriental music. Astral Travel, the latest creature born from the volcanic mind of the drummer and composer Tommaso Cappellato, undoubtedly contains some references to these illustrious precedents. But it is above all inspired - it is Cappellato himself who confirms it - by the figure of Harry Whitaker, composer of the famous We Live in Brooklyn, Baby! with Roy Ayers & Ubiquity and the seminal Black Renaissance: Body, Mind & Spirit.
Music for mind and body therefore, music that projects into a dimension where the pleasure and immediacy of listening combine with hypnotic grooves, where the use of vintage instruments such as the moog and the Oberheim synthesizer feed futurist suggestions that Alessia’s voice Obino teleports to a world filled with dreams and visions. Anna Maria Dalla Valle’s flute adds a delicacy that is never sugary but rather ethereal and impalpable, when not incisive in moments of greater executive tension.

The leader’s battery determines the direction and configuration of the soundscapes by properly switching between metronomic certainties and timbre suggestions. Marco Privato’s double bass is the necessary anchor to the jazz idiom in order not to lose course, while two pieces are embellished by the spoken word of Chauncey Yearwood and Yah Supreme. The one contained in Cosm’ethic is therefore music beyond time, floating in a space that is not only physical but of the mind and that unexpectedly grows listening after listening.«

A masterpiece :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Used to be a great little reggae shop opposite Finsbury Park Station. I used to buy records there…think that’s where I got The Prophets Beware and Prince Far I and The Arabs.

Great little place. In Clapton, my flat (well, 2 rooms) was almost above the reggae store in Lower Clapton Road.

Both long gone, sadly.

Good days.

2 Likes

Might be a bit hip hop for some but nice beats and does a lot with Moses Boyd

1 Like

Yes, so many great little shops no longer, at least Dub Vendor albeit mail order are still active, Supertone in Brixton, the legendary Peckings Shepards Bush, Honest Jon’s still has a physical shop in Ladbroke Grove I think…

:heart:

1 Like

DJ from New Zealand, Italian Drummer, recorded in Brooklyn NY. Maybe not London or UK Jazz, but looks interesting and I’m surprised to see put out by Jazz Re:Freshed an indication perhaps that their casting their net wider.

Several albums listed on Bandcamp, I will definitely check this out, cheers :+1:

Mid-2012, Mark de Clive Lowe got in touch with us and said we really needed to check out this Italian drummer he was playing with, out in Italy. His name was Tommaso Cappellato. We were immediately intrigued, however we certainly were not expecting what we heard.
Eager to know more, we made the connection and were stunned to hear the story of how, whilst living in New York, Tommaso was taken under the wing of the legendary Harry Whitaker.
Yes, THAT Harry Whitaker, of ‘Black Renaissance’ fame.

Tommaso and his sublime outfit Astral Travel, have created a musical work with depth and texture, that takes you on a journey out of this world. COSM’ETHIC is a thoughtfully constructed dedication to the late Harry Whitaker, steeped in the sensibilities of deep spiritual jazz, yet futuristic and fresh in its execution. Suffice to say, we jumped at the chance to put out this album and let you share in Tommaso & Astral Travel’s fine musical tribute.

Enjoy.

www.jazzrefreshed.com see less

credits

released July 22, 2013

“ASTRAL TRAVEL”
Tommaso Cappellato (drums)
Alessia Obino (voice)
Anna Maria Dalla Valle (flute & alto flute)
Paolo Corsini (piano, rhodes, moog & oberheim synthetizers)
Marco Privato (double bass)

Guest appearances:
Chauncey Yearwood (spoken words on “Consciousness” & “Space &
Time”)
Yah Supreme (spoken words on “Space & Time”)

Production credits
Produced by Tommaso Cappellato
Co-produced by Max Trisotto

Mixing/Mastering credits
Recorded by Max Trisotto on February 9-10 2013 at True Colours Studio, Padova - ITALY

Chauncey Yearwood & Yah Supreme vocal tracks recorded by Andy Barlow at Tiki Village Studio, Brooklyn, NY- USA

Mixed & Mastered by Max Trisotto

1 Like

I found that album apart from all the Tomaso discography. It sounds like a good jazz fusion album from the 70’s but his modern work and a lot of creativity and spirit.
As you said it’s not a uk group but very similar in the spirit of jazz refreshed.
Of course as it’s pointed, the main influence are Roy Ayers Ubiquity and Black Renaissance, albums that I like very much too.

2 Likes

Not contemporary and not so much cutting edge as cold classic but it’s British and it’s Jazz Matthew Halsall and the excellent Nat Birchall on Saxophone.

2 Likes

Matthew Halsall again this time guesting on The Greg Foat Group’s, Girl and Robot With Flowers, Part VI.

2 Likes

Paladins taken from Nat Birchall’s excellent solo recording from last year Ancient Africa.

2 Likes

Very good. I didn’t knew it. Just bought it on Bandcamp.
It reminds me Joe Henderson Canyon lady album.

1 Like

1 Like

Yes I’d love a copy but don’t have a CDP and vinyl copies long sold out.

But streaming is fine for now.

2 Likes