London and UK Jazz Scene - recommendations and discoveries

Just bought the CD myself…no chance to play it yet as I put it somewhere and can’t remember where!

Edit/ and just found it…playing it now. Asheber’s vocal reminds me of someone - who, escapes me.

Not sure I’d call it a masterpiece yet… it’s very smooth, nice enough. Mollison is pretty cool.

2 Likes

A Masterpiece is more Herbie Hancock Headhunters or Man Child, or George Duke I love the blues she heard me cry….
Those 70’s jazz funk albums inspired a lot the actual London Jazz Refresh scene.

2 Likes

I would like to hear more of a ‘cutting edge’ and a bit less of the smooth, but I’m aware I’ve only heard some of the bands and musicians in the current scene…onward!

Personally I love the smoother, more modern sound of the current UK Jazz scene.

A lot of the stuff coming out of the “London scene” is inspired by the musical heritage of the Windrush Generation and the UK Reggae, Dub, Dubstep, Grime etc that grew in the UK from the music of the commonwealth islands, fused with a contemporary Jazz influence nurtured by the likes of Tomorrows Warriors.

:heart:

1 Like

Also……
And it depends of the artist. Sons of Khemet or Makaya Mc Craven are not similar to Kamaal Williams, Joe Armon Jones, or Ashley Henry.

Of course not and I dont think anyone would want them to be, but I’m struggling to understand your point?

Back to the music with Shabaka Hutchings and an incredible solo performance.

2 Likes

Shabaka was great guesting at the Art Ensemble of Chicago’s concert (all the guest players were fab) at the Barbican in 2019…

3 Likes

Yonaguni by Greg Foat from the excellent Symphonie Pacifique.

4 Likes

Lovely album! I’ve only just caught up with Greg Foat - bought this, The Mage and Dark Is The Sun. Great stuff.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Have you listened to Binker and Moses? - Dread referenced them earlier up the thread.

Not yet but I will, most definitely - I like what I’ve read of their ‘free’ background.

1 Like

Wonderful album :+1:

1 Like

My point is that some artists in the jazz refresh scene are very influenced by the work of Miles Davis, Wayne Shorter or Herbie Hancock.
But also by rap, reggae, dub…etc as you pointed.
But as you seem to not recognise the influence I pointed, I wanted to answer.
Kamaal Williams, Greg Float…Collucotor , Joe Armons, …are more influenced by the 70’s jazz fusion than Mc Craven or Shabata Hutchings.

1 Like

FR I think sometimes there is some confusion re Jazz Re:Freshed and the wider new UK “Jazz” scene. Jazz Re:Freshed initially was a movement about growing the underground mostly Black British London centric artists coming from the Black “Urban” music scene and culture strongly influenced along the lines I’ve already mentioned. The overground exposure of the artists from that scene has also brought exposure to other good artists that werent neccesarily part of that movement, it’s all good of course and not wanting to create musical divisions but there Is a distinction.

1 Like

Their debut Dem Ones I mentioned earlier on the thread along with their respective individual albums. If you like that their new one Feeding The Machine Is worth checking, I think I posted it here

1 Like

Not checked Greg Foat yet, I see Symphony Pacifique interestingly has Clark Terry and Moses Boyd

1 Like

Yes, when I saw Terry was one of the players I became more intrigued.

Whoops…Clark Tracey!

Also, re intrigue - Art Themen.

Now, what newish album was I looking at that had Ray Russell on it…?

Of course - Foat’s The Mage! Silly me.

3 Likes