London and UK Jazz Scene - recommendations and discoveries

That’s me

@frenchrooster The Haggis Horns are excellent, listening actually to this wonderful album, thanks for the recommendation :+1:

1 Like

You are welcome. That album gives you some power for the day.

1 Like

Cat Loren is from Brooklyn, but her work is so close to the spirit of some artists in the UK scene, like Collocutor for example.

Vancouver-born, Brooklyn-based JUNO Award-winning pianist/composer Cat Toren leads a dynamic new project influenced by the free-form, socially conscious jazz of the late '60s as well as today’s resurgent civil rights movement. The album has received critically acclaimed reviews such as “A powerful recording” - Bandcamp Daily (The Best New Jazz on Bandcamp) and “Cat Toren should be a household name. Incredible music for 2017” - UK Vibe. The group has toured the Mid-West, New York area and Western Canada promoting the album and its message. Jazz, being both music of expression and of the people, has a legacy of standing up for civil rights issues. Keeping with this tradition, proceeds of the album are donated to the American Civil Liberties Union. The album has sold in over seven countries thus far.

1 Like

Ed ‘Tenderloniuos’ Cawthorne is an incredibly talented Flautist who has produced work with Jaubi whose record Nafs at Peace I promoted a lot last year and also Ragas from Lahore and back in 2018 on The Shakedown with the 22archestra featuring Yussef Dayes and bassist Fergus Ireland mentioned up thread.

Like his early work Last years Still Flute was a bit more Deep House than Jazz but I’m sure there is lots more to come.

1 Like

Discovered another album from Cat Loren " SCINTILLATING BEAUTY", very good musicians, sounds very classic, nice to listen

1 Like

I think it’s her most known album. Does it sound like spiritual jazz like the one I posted ?

1 Like

IMO it`s a little more like classic jazz, there is a little more action in it, both albums are on the quiet side of Jazz I would say

1 Like

The core of Citrus Sun is the Incognito rhythm section - Bluey, keyboard player Matt Cooper, bassist Francis Hylton, drummer Francesco Mendolia, percussionist João Caetano and guitarist Francisco Sales

Excellent ! It’s the 1975 Lonnie Smith track played by Citrus Sun.

2 Likes

Inspired by Monsieur @frenchrooster I am listening to another album from Cat Toren “Goodbye Farm”, this is so relaxing and keeps me calm during my long Homeoffice day :wink:
Remebers me of some ECM records

1 Like

I am glad you enjoy Cat Toren , Mister Krautnaimie. I will check other albums from her too. :+1::musical_score:

1 Like

Listening to a lot of Nat’s music of late.

2 Likes

It reminds me Pharoah Sanders and Alice Coltrane, journey to Satchinanda album.

1 Like

That’s what I like about lots of Nat’s music it clearly echoes Alice Coltrane but without the sometimes wild, angry honking of Pharoah although sometimes Nat can do that too.

Funny though that two of my favourite Jazz tracks of all time are Harvest Time and Turiya & Ramakrishna both feature Pharoah.

4 Likes

I like Pharoah too, but more in other artist’s albums. Journey to the One is the only album from him that I like.
With Randy Weston he has an interesting play for instance.

1 Like

Very nice track @Bobthebuilder for a good start in the morning :+1:

1 Like

2 Likes

From Philadelphia, but who cares ? :grin:

2 Likes

nobody cares Monsieur :wink:

1 Like