London and UK Jazz Scene - recommendations and discoveries

No worries Stevie, let the married couple do their life.

1 Like

I tend to agree, because the sound quality of live recordings are quite often not very well recorded. The sound quality is very often average. My experience at least.

1 Like

In many other genres I agree, but for small group Jazz and Classical in a proper concert hall or Jazz Club venue a good live recording can be superb (note I stress proper concert hall or Jazz Club) . Particularly as I mentioned above, Jazz in a proper club setting capturing the atmosphere and ambience from the venue and audience along with the improvised nature of Jazz which is better served by the spontaneity of a Live setting.

I tried to give a couple of examples in my comment from so many fine Live Jazz recordings that are better imo than the Studio Recording.
Similarly It would be helpful if you might inform the discussion with some examples in the above context. It could make perhaps for an interesting subject on a dedicated thread.

:heart:

I would prefer to have more live recordings, specially those in intimate jazz clubs or little spaces. I regret that not enough exist. Many for example are on DVD or YouTube, but not on cd.
From memory itā€™s difficult to give you enough examples , I would have to search in my music library.
For instance the live recordings of Doctor Lonnie Smith are not very well recorded, for me.
The two live recordings of Jazz Refreshed artists the same.
But some are sounding very well, like the live recordings of Patricia Barber.

( maybe for the 60ā€™s jazz live albums itā€™s different, but you know already that I have very little of those).

1 Like

I take it you got the Tomorrows Warriors album, you like?

Not sure If I posted this before but its out now all formats.

Single tracks have been slowly trickling out on Bandcamp & Streaming sites, now all together as an album including vinyl from Gearbox.

Village Of The Sun is an enigmatic collaboration between UK jazz virtuosos Binker Golding & Moses Boyd and electronic music legend Simon Ratcliffe of Basement Jaxx fame.

Born out of a shared passion for improvised instrumental music, the new project sees all three of the artists steps into relatively new territory, combining their respective sensibilities to create something all at once atmospheric and danceable.

1 Like

Noā€¦not yet. But Iā€™ll give it a listen soon as.

My post was about another seeming war.

1 Like

There is a review of the I Am Warrior gig from 2019 on London Jazz News, cant seem to post links at the mo but if you do a searchā€¦

As just posted on WYLT

Ezra Collective - Where Iā€™m Meant To Be (Qobuz HR)

Really enjoying my first listen to the new Ezra album, superb contemporary Jazz Funk with hints of Afrobeat and Dub. The track Togetherness, as a passionate fan of JA music made me smile, with its repeated dubby vocal out in the streets they call it Ezra pinched from and a homage to Ini Kamozeā€™s lyric Out In The Streets They Call It Murder on his World A Reggae Music track from his debut album and later sampled to great effect by Damian Marley on Welcome To Jamrock which is then brilliantly followed by a Jazz Dub Steppers fusion on Ego Killah

3 Likes

Did you enjoyed the album? Just curious.

Aw Dread how could you ā€¦ RAP on tracks 1 and 3 so far. Track 1 is peculiar squeaky RAP too. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Not heard it yet its vinyl only, but as your probably aware Iā€™m a big supporter of the Tomorrows Warriors organisation and as all proceeds go toward supporting and nurturing new talent it will be a worthy purchase Iā€™m sure

1 Like

:rofl: Iā€™ll have to review on a second listen, some Rap just jumps out in an intrusive way and full of unoriginal cliche, nothing really grated here so maybe it just went over me and its only two tracks. I particularly liked the tracks that I commented on and thats as far as I got whilst writing (perhaps prematurely) before the rest had played out. Overall though on first listen I enjoy it.
Now its your turn to come back at me with ā€œRubbish!ā€ :rofl:

Btw I have been playing Kokoroko a lot more and have to admit to revising my perhaps unfair first impression, its grown on me but still misses the heights of those early tracks like Abusey Junction.

1 Like

@BlueCanary

So just had a second listen straight through without distraction.
The Rap on tracks 1 & 3, track 1 its kind of quirky which I like and fits the track, its not really what I would consider Rap, not in a Hip Hop stylee anyway more a kind of scat type of thing.
Track 3 is a bit throwaway, the rap gives way to some nice trumpet solo but fades prematurely.
Both these tracks are surplus to requirement and the two Words interludes unnecessarily interupt the flow of the album.

Aside from the above nits, I love the tracks Togetherness and Ego Kilah as I commented before, track 2 or 4 (cant recall which) has a nice fusion of latin vibes, Afrobeat then at times the drumming switches to straight out Jamaican Dancehall, along with the JA references on the two tracks already mentioned I noted a lovely reference quoting from a classic Tommy McCook or Roland Alphonso Skatalites Sax lead the title of which is irritatingly eluding me on the tip of my tongue right now. So given my passion for JA music Iā€™m connecting on this level.
Elsewhere throughout the album I find its full of lovely subtleties and nuances and the presentation quite cinematic, no one musician dominates.

So, overall I really like it, more so on second listen. To be honest probably will work better as a stream or CD than vinyl, programme out tracks 1, 3 and the two Word interludes the album flows better and for me is a winner.

What says you?

1 Like

Hi Dread - the two excellent dubby tracks you picked are also the standouts for me. Trouble is they are head and shoulders above the rest - not sure either of the female vocal tracks work (the Ezras shouldnā€™t be a backing band) and a couple of the other compositions smack of a band feeling for a new direction. Pretty sure a lot of peeps will like it tho.

1 Like

Yeah Iā€™m one subject to the above :+1:

1 Like

Actually playing again, for some strange reason Sampa The Great made me think of Vic Reeves Pub Singer does Rap :joy:

1 Like

Conor Albert, live at the pool. UK artist. Couldnā€™t find the credits for that album. So donā€™t know the musicians behind.

1 Like

Xhosa Cole - Ibeji

Iā€™ve also posted this over on the Vinyl on Pre Order thread where there is more info judging by the one track already released on Bandcamp it will be a great second album.

1 Like

Released out of Leeds, Yorkshire on the excellent ATA Records.

Work, Money, Death.

1 Like