London and UK Jazz Scene - recommendations and discoveries

Just listened to her work for the last hour via iPhone and car radio with much pleasure while running the lad to 6th form and waiting for him. He said he liked it but it wasn’t jazz. I said it was fusion with elements of soul, R&B, reggae. Thanks for the suggestion.

2 Likes

You’re welcome, @Stokie , enjoy your music! :wink:

2 Likes

I am actually enjoying this album. I love the mixture of Jazz, RnB and Hip Hop. Fantastic sound, after work it brings freshness to my mind :ok_hand:

5 Likes

Another for the list - Chelsea Carmichael - she’s in Seed Ensemble and we’ve seen her with Theon Cross & Joe Armon Jones. I’d almost forgotten her album The River Doesn’t Like Strangers as it’s been on pre-order for so long. Very dubby with great playing throughout.

3 Likes

@BlueCanary sounds very interesting, comes on the listening list. :+1:

Yesterday I ordered the Alfa Mist “Bring Backs” as a Vinyl for an affordable price at Amazon. Great album, looking forward to it.

1 Like

New to me thanks @BlueCanary I’ll check it out.

2 Likes

On Bandcamp.

2 Likes

Nice one, @frenchrooster, is this a podcast or an album?

It’s an album

1 Like

Alfa mist is great. Have you tried Joe armon Jones?

2 Likes

I have not until yet but I will put him on my list. Thanks @Stepdol

My favourite track from him. So refreshing !

4 Likes

I see on your avatar a wonderful album from Ashley Henry. Should be advised here too.:+1:

1 Like

Oh yes @frenchrooster , you are right. I love the Beautiful Vinyl Hunter from Ashley Henry. The record is a perfect pressing with an open soundstage. For me it is a prime example of this vibrant scene. The Piano playing is astonishing and on some titles you can hear the wonderful voice of Judi Jackson. This album Shows auch a diversity of all kinds of music styles. There are no boundaries, this is what I like. :+1:

1 Like

I have it too and enjoy a lot :+1::+1:

1 Like

Check out Ashley’s trio at the first 2020 Lockdown Session at Ronnie Scott’s on YouTube. Pretty much a full gig with most of the material from the album. It’s just weird there being no audience no whoops during a solo and no applause at the end of a piece. Can’t seem to post a link so just Google it.

We also watched the later Camilla George one.

1 Like

Great shout there is an excellent youtube video upstream from 2016 with Maxwell Owin and Nubya Garcia.

Here’s a great track from the Turn to Clear View LP again ft Nubya.

2 Likes

Thanks @Bobthebuilder and @BlueCanary :+1:

Actually I listen to the Youtube from Joe Armon-Jones, a nice one, graet saxophone playing :wink: Unfortunaltely I got 2 very bad pressings of the Source-Album of Nubya Garcia so I had to send both back… this will also happen to my copy of the Alfa Mist Album I got on Saturday…but I will try it another time…

Wow, @Bobthebuilder this concert is just fabulous! Thanks for posting this! Just listened to it, thrilling! :+1:

Hi @krautnaimie
Check out the Jazz Re:freshed website and hopefully the Jazz Re:fest alldayers in Brighton if they start doing them again. A fantastic inclusive event showcasing all aspects of the Jazz Re:Freshed movement, DJ’s, Art, Culture and Live bands, all for just a tenner! (Previous events)

Tomorrows Warriors organisation run by Gary Crosby has been nurturing great UK talent for many many years

:heart:

2 Likes