London and UK Jazz Scene - recommendations and discoveries

The album that first drew me to the bubbling new UK “Jazz” artists (although great UK talent was being nurtured, long before the Jazz Re:freshed movement grew out of it, with organisations like Tomorrows Warriors)

Binker & Moses - Dem Ones (Gearbox Records)

Drum & Saxophone duo’s brilliant debut, superbly recorded and mastered all analogue by the always good Gearbox Records)
Binker & Moses successive recordings have also all been good

:heart:

1 Like

A year or two prior to the above Binker n Moses I discovered via the Naim label (of course!) the brilliant debut by Sons Of Kemet - Burn and its follow up also on the Naim label Lest We Forget What We Came Here To Do

1 Like

Balimayo Project

Driving collective polyrhythms, blazing frontline horns & virtuosic kora stylings collide across this dynamic meeting of traditional Mandé music/culture and contemporary jazz.

3 Likes

Camilla George debut is highly recommended imo from a few years back, the vinyl has been re issued

Born in Eket, Nigeria, Camilla’s love of fusing of African and Western music has made her a firm fixture on London’s New Jazz Scene. Her latest album, The People Could Fly (based on a book of African slave tales) features UK Soul legend Omar as well as stars of the London scene; Daniel Casimir, Sarah Tandy, Femi Koleoso, Winston Clifford, Shirley Tetteh and Cherise Adams-Burnett.

1 Like

wow, thanks a lot @Dreadatthecontrols for your recommendations :+1: There is so much to discover

You just got me started! :joy: dont wish to hog this thread but yes only scratching a brilliant, broad, inclusive and vibrant surface…
I started a Jazz:Refreshed thread a few years ago but it didnt find much interest, so uplifting to see that’s now changing, especially from one or two contributors to this thread who back then were quite nasty in their attacks on the emerging talent

1 Like

this is excellent music, @Dreadatthecontrols , maybe the hottest thing in music nowadays, so everybody is invited to enjoy it! Actually I am listening to Camilla George, it’s an exceptional work. :saxophone:

I bought all that Hifi equipment to have more joy with music, it’s the most important thing. It’s not about upgrading again and again. The aim is to enjoy music. :notes:

1 Like

A key player imo is Shabaka Hutchings who has fronted bands from Sons Of Kemet, Shabaka And The Ancestors and The Comet Is Coming who’s albums are well worth checking

2 Likes

Another great artist to emerge from Sons Of Kemet is Theon Cross, his debut Fyah again mastered and cut by the brilliant Gearbox records has to be one of many jewels in a massive crown.
A seemingly unlikely instrument for a modern hip, trendy, street musician until you hear those deep grumbling tones inspires by dub Reggae, grime, dubstep etc
Have to admit to finding his new and second album a bit disappointing though

3 Likes

Fusing Indian Classical, improvisation, electronica and new Jazz
Sarathy Korwar & UPAJ Collective

My East Is Your West again on Gearbox records and the superb cut direct to disc Nightdreamer session

4 Likes

Sorry…getting carried away, I’ll move over and let some others chip in with selections…

1 Like

Damn! I cant adjourn without mentioning Moses Boyd Exodus - Displaced Diaspora which features Kevin Haynes Grupo Elequa, Zara McFarlane and Joe Armon Jones

2 Likes

Right, deffo the last one from me today…
I’ve been enjoying streaming this EP, a new name to me, not bought the vinyl yet, well worth checking out imo

Forever Presence is the recorded debut of a new project by London-based guitarist, activist and producer Jelly Cleaver.

Jelly has had an incendiary rise over the last year; she has received the Steve Reid Award, is a Serious Take Five artist, was nominated for an Ivors Composer Award, and has been called “the next artist to make an impact on the London Jazz Scene” by Tina Edwards. Yet in the excitement and movement of this jazz scene, Forever Presence takes a different path, focusing on the neglected elements of ballads and beauty to allow other emotions to enter the music. It pays tribute to artists like Pharaoh Sanders, Alice Coltrane and Dhafer Youssef, as well as taking inspiration from Jelly’s contemporaries such as Moor Mother and Angel Bat Dawid. Weaving together spiritual jazz, blues, soul, and psychedelic rock and accompanied by rising stars of the UK jazz scene, Forever Presence explores in five tracks the narratives of loss, love and the universe.

2 Likes

Ebi Soda with Jazz Ahmed, pre order. But one track available for now that I enjoy. Yoshi Orange.

1 Like

Very interesting uk group, Emanative. I have some of their albums.
In the jazz refresh spirit.

1 Like

Merci, @frenchrooster some other artists to discover :+1: I enjoyed Camilla George very much, “The People Could Fly” is an impressive album, is now on my Vinyl list

2 Likes

Second try was succesful: finally got an acceptable pressing of the fabuluos album from Alfa Mist👌
Such an exzeptional music and a melting pot of sounds and influences.

3 Likes

Wow, @Dreadatthecontrols , this album is so great, especially in the beginning an at the end. Shows elements from Garage Rock/Post Punk and the guitar playing reminds me of Robby Krieger from the Doors. :guitar: Saxophone is so clear and shows such a dynamic. This is Modern Jazz at its best. Fantastic :saxophone:

2 Likes

We have all different tastes. I listened to that album and was annoyed by the omnipresent saxophone. I like saxophone but with nice touches, in the Wayne Shorter way or Miles Davis with his trumpet.
And the guitarist, which is the leader , is too much on the laid back.

1 Like

It would be boring if we all had the same tastes :wink: @frenchrooster

1 Like