London and UK Jazz Scene - recommendations and discoveries

Practical Anarchy is Yusuf Ahmed, Julia Biel and Idris Rahman
Mixed by Tom Maine
Mastered by Idris Rahman

1 Like

A really nice one :ok_hand:
Thanks for your recommendation @Will-in-Aus

Ashley Henry just released a new track. Just nice and very melodic. He is such a good pianist :ok_hand:
Hopefully there will be a new album soon?

1 Like

Some amazing artists and music in this thread. Living in Italy the London Jazz scene is quite new to me, as this music only arrives sporadically down here. I would expand things to include the other great Jazz being produced around the UK. A lot of music is being made, in the UK, that is finally not just a poor copy of US mainstream jazz. Looks like a Scandi jazz thing is happening in the UK ay last.

My current wow discovery is from the Manchester scene. Jasmine Myra’s Rise, blew me away. I am going to have some fun poking around on what the Gondwana Records have produced.

Rob Luft, is starting to emerge as an interesting guitarist. I enjoyed Dahab Days, and he is great on John Surman’s latest CD. Also on Edition, Laura Judd is quite interesting at times, but too much whimsical with some tracks

I have enjoyed Kit Downes’s work with church organs. Obsidian from a few years back on ECM is brilliant. His wife, Ruth Goller has just made one of the strangest albums ever. The beautiful Skyllumina, is worth digging out.

I bring out the Beyerdynamic T1 V2, when I want that deep heavy bass on the Commet is Coming’s Hyper-Dimensional Expansion Beam, to hammer through my head.

London Brew is another favourite with most of the usual London suspects. Source by Nubya Garcia has also got a lot of plays.

I have just started exploring this rich seam of music. I hope some of these players find their way down to Italy, so as I can see them live.

1 Like

Good review in the Guardian today prompted me to try this:

Spacy jazz with electronics.

2 Likes

There’s a new Nubya Garcia album out on 20th September

2 Likes

She’s on the Endlessness album above.

2 Likes