London and UK Jazz Scene - recommendations and discoveries

Iain Ballamy Anorak - More Jazz (Tidal)

Fairly straight ahead mainstream Jazz but very nicely played.
20220223_121212

Iain Ballamy’s scope and various projects are so diverse that arguably some perhaps wont fit this thread, well worth checking out though imo

https://www.ballamy.com/albums

:heart:

2 Likes

Finally I got my copy from Judi Jackson. I know her from some tracks of the Ashley Henry album. Her voice is astonishing and shows such a lot of facets.

3 Likes

My favourite Matthew Halsall is Fletcher Moss Park and this marvellous live reading of his Salute To The Sun album recorded and live streamed during lockdown.
The vinyl is superb

5 Likes

No not sure I found it whilst trawling youtube.

1 Like

From Ben’s new record Glass Effect available on Pre Order.

1 Like

Bob, that was brilliant.

1 Like

Their music is available on Bandcamp and though they do not have a full LP yet there are a couple of 12" EPs that are excellent.

1 Like

wow, @Bobthebuilder I love this session! :+1:

I would recommend getting their debut s/t EP worth admission just for the lovely Abusey Junction.
I was discussing with another member recently the lack of a full length album yet, but if your into streaming or downloading, compiling the singles and EP so far released as a playlist works as a good alternative.

4 Likes

I foresee some money being shifted today on Bandcamp :smiley:

Is that EP from Bandcamp? Edit: found it!

2 Likes

I recommend guitarist Shirley Tetteh…she’s fab with Nérija.

1 Like

And money has been splashed. Also Yootoob has yielded an astonishing performance of Carry Me Home at the RAH for the BBC Proms 2020

2 Likes

I second that! :+1:

2 Likes

Followers of this thread may be interested to know that Nubya Garcia (who’s album The Source is very good although I found the follow up a bit disappointing) was the latest guest on Tom Ravenscroft’s Peel Acres show.
I listened to it on Sunday on a drive back from Wales
Well worth a listen

2 Likes

Unfortunately the Source albums I ordered had a horrible soundquality and pressing…thanks again to Optimal… anyway her music is very fine and diversified

Mmm, sorry to hear that. My first press copy is fine.

1 Like

This is really excellent, @Bobthebuilder , listended yesterday to a collaboration with Yussef and Nubya Garcia, that was also great. :+1:

1 Like

Enjoying this first listen to the debut long player from Blue Lab Beats - Motherland Journey (Tidal/Blue Note)

Describing themselves as Jazztronica it’s a nice chilled blend of Jazz, electronics, funk, soul, afrobeat (Fela Kuti on the title track), some rap (which I’m not so keen on) and Dance Hall (spoiled, as seems to be de rigueur these days with the genre, by excessive Auto tune effect)

Overall a nice vibe playing in the cab with some lovely azure blue sky n sunshine right now

London-based Jazztronica duo Blue Lab Beats make their full-length Blue Note Records debut with Motherland Journey, an album years in the making that is a celebration of pushing boundaries, taking risks, and overcoming adversity. Following their appearance on 2020’s acclaimed Blue Note Re:imagined project, and their 2021 EP We Will Rise, the new album is a star-studded affair featuring the duo—producer NK-OK and multi-instrumentalist Mr DM—joined by collaborators including Ghetto Boy, Kiefer, Kofi Stone, Tiana Major9, KillBeatz, Teni Tinks, Poppy Daniels, Emmavie, Jackson Mathod, Kaidi Akinnibi, Ego Ella May, Pip Millett, Dylan Jones, and Jerome Thomas.

One of the fastest-rising production duos in the world right now, with a Grammy nomination for their work on the Angelique Kidjo album Mother Nature, and a MOBO nomination for ‘Best Jazz Act’ in 2021 testament to their rise, Blue Lab Beats craft a supple, wide-ranging sound inspired by the pioneers of hip-hop and the music of the African diaspora while staying true to their London roots.

1 Like

sounds great, will be on my streaming list, Thanks, @Dreadatthecontrols

It’s a little inconsistent on first listen in my cab (Taxi) but the good shines through. I’ve slightly edited my post.