London and UK Jazz Scene - recommendations and discoveries

Any discussion on modern/contemporary British Jazz should include Courtney Pine.
Emerging from Jazz Warriors/Tomorrows Warriors with this 1996 album Journey From The Urge Within featuring other early lights like Cleveland Watkis, Vibe player Orphy Robinson and Julian Joseph on piano.
The young Courtney Pine displays his strong Coltrane influences but the pieces are all Pine originals.

:heart:

2 Likes

The Jazz Warriors - Out Of Many One People

Another early classic from the Jazz Warriors collective showcasing some of the young artists of the time (mid eighties), pretty much the roots of the emerging British Jazz talent that grew into the Tomorrows Warriors and Jazz Re:Freshed movement which in turn have inspired a broader pool of artists across the UK.

20220222_181123

Bassist Gary Crosby’s Nu Troop, inspired by Art Blakeys Jazz Messengers and similarly meant as a vehicle for nurturing talent. The album Migrations (Dune ) included Denys Baptiste and Tony Kofi amongst the line up, all contributing original pieces with the exception of a cover of Wayne Shorter - Pinocchio (@frenchrooster )

41szB4KlT2L.AC

Do you really want that I hurt your ears with my trumpet ? :grin:

I know what I can do, and I do it. I share with everybody my tastes and opinions, which is the spirit and the why of a forum.

Another group to emerge from Tomorrows Warriors

J Life - Tomorrows Warriors Presents (Dune 1998 re issued 2002)

20220222_184102

The other band after Nu Troop formed by Gary Crosby, the brilliant and great fun Jazz Jamaica. fusing Jamaican Music with Classic American Jazz and later expanding into an awesome big band doing Blue Note, Motown, Trojan and Bob Marley themed shows and albums.

Always great live, I’ve followed them ever since first hearing their debut album Skaravan 1993

Sorry @krautnaimie not wishing to dominate your thread just thought it would be good to highlight a few key early albums that illustrate the foundation of much of the current new UK “Jazz”.
They should be available to stream if your curious
Cheers

Yussef, Alfa & Mansur top quality UK sound.

2 Likes

Matthew Halsall fromManchester Spiritual and Soulful.

1 Like

Hackney Colliery Band - Flood

I’m not sure if it’s classified as Jazz really but it’s got some big Horns and a great vocal.

1 Like

Ezra Collective’s version of Wayne Shorter’s Footprints from Blue Note Reimagined

Until tonight I wasn’t aware that Jo Armon Jones and The Gorillas Femi Koleoso where full time members of the Ezra Collective as apart from this cover I’d not really listened to their music and thought they where guesting on this track.

2 Likes

Kamaal Williams, Shabaka Hutchings, Lauren Faith and Alina Bzhezhinska

I really love Shabaka’s playing on this video it’s a 360 degree video so you can move the camera around.

1 Like

Thanks for your contributions, guys :+1: I am thankful for all recommendations here and it is also ok if you post if you don’t like an artist or record. It’s all about enjoyoing the musis and if we all had the same taste of music we were not here and we would be bored sitting in front of our same HiFi gear :thinking:

Rob Luft a London based Jazz guitarist who again was unknown to me until yesterday.

2 Likes

Loose Tubes

Another 80’s band to come out of the Tomorrows Warriors. Big Band Jazz led by Django Bates and included Iain Ballamy who’s works as a solo artist are worth checking out. Also Bill Brufords Earthworks which included Django Bates.

Couldnt find a stream of Loose Tubes mid eighties debut album but there is some you tube material, not sure but I think Loose Tubes are still active although I havent heard them in a long time

2 Likes

Not a fan of Ezra Collective, but I like this track. :+1:

1 Like

Wonderful :+1::+1::+1:
Do you know if it exists on an album ?
Another one a bit similar is the tune « hold on ».

2 Likes

I thought he was amongst those players that not so long ago you were slagging off for being Black, trendy, having beards and using street slang :joy: Your liking him now though?
Nice one
:+1:

I feel the same way.

1 Like