London and UK Jazz Scene - recommendations and discoveries

Joining Moses Boyd has me double intrigued :grin:

2 Likes

On my in the cab stream list for tomorrow

1 Like

The Dreaming Jewels is also a very good record

4 Likes

@Bobthebuilder I like the last one from Greg Foat, sounds very classic to my ears, with very good musicians :+1:

My mistake too! I wrote Clark Terry when I meant Clark Tracey, my intrigue like yours for Clark Tracey was expanded by my thinking he was no longer with us.

I see there are also several albums credited as The Greg Foat Group and various collaborative offerings.
Checking Discogs shows heā€™s a very prolific recording artist

2 Likes

I am actually listening to Symphonie Pacifique by Greg Foat, this is just excellent
Thanks @Bobthebuilder and @Dreadatthecontrols :+1:

2 Likes

I saw Sons of Kemit last week at Bristol. What a fantastic gig. The two drummers is a case of 1+1=3 . Very skilful interplay: sometimes rhythm and sometimes another lead instrument. The tuba playing of Theon Cross is menacing and apocalyptic in a good way! And of course Shabaka Hutchins was superb.

2 Likes

It reminds me Lonnie Liston Smith from the debut 70ā€™s.

1 Like

Another new name Neue Grafik Ensemble ā€˜Foulden Roadā€™. Good in parts a tad formulaic elsewhere. Nubya Garcia guests on a couple of tracks. There is a follow up full album due soon - maybe worth checking out.

3 Likes

Blimey, Foulden Roadā€¦I used to live round the corner.

1 Like

Dalston boy eh?

1 Like

More Stokeyā€¦but lived in Homerton & Clapton too.
And Newington Green!
Finsbury Park too. I moved around a bitā€¦

1 Like

Stan Traceyā€™s son.

3 Likes

Thanks Clive, Iā€™m getting my Traceys in a mucky fuddle!
Anyone seen my coat?
:joy:

1 Like
1 Like

If you havent already do check out his solo debut Fyah, not so keen on his new one though

1 Like

:heart:

1 Like

From All about jazz Italia:

Ā« Cover graphics and titles refer to the Sun Ra galaxy and similar or to musicians such as Pharoah Sanders and Alice Coltrane characterized by an intense spirituality and a keen interest in oriental music. Astral Travel, the latest creature born from the volcanic mind of the drummer and composer Tommaso Cappellato, undoubtedly contains some references to these illustrious precedents. But it is above all inspired - it is Cappellato himself who confirms it - by the figure of Harry Whitaker, composer of the famous We Live in Brooklyn, Baby! with Roy Ayers & Ubiquity and the seminal Black Renaissance: Body, Mind & Spirit.
Music for mind and body therefore, music that projects into a dimension where the pleasure and immediacy of listening combine with hypnotic grooves, where the use of vintage instruments such as the moog and the Oberheim synthesizer feed futurist suggestions that Alessiaā€™s voice Obino teleports to a world filled with dreams and visions. Anna Maria Dalla Valleā€™s flute adds a delicacy that is never sugary but rather ethereal and impalpable, when not incisive in moments of greater executive tension.

The leaderā€™s battery determines the direction and configuration of the soundscapes by properly switching between metronomic certainties and timbre suggestions. Marco Privatoā€™s double bass is the necessary anchor to the jazz idiom in order not to lose course, while two pieces are embellished by the spoken word of Chauncey Yearwood and Yah Supreme. The one contained in Cosmā€™ethic is therefore music beyond time, floating in a space that is not only physical but of the mind and that unexpectedly grows listening after listening.Ā«

A masterpiece :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Used to be a great little reggae shop opposite Finsbury Park Station. I used to buy records thereā€¦think thatā€™s where I got The Prophets Beware and Prince Far I and The Arabs.

Great little place. In Clapton, my flat (well, 2 rooms) was almost above the reggae store in Lower Clapton Road.

Both long gone, sadly.

Good days.

2 Likes

Might be a bit hip hop for some but nice beats and does a lot with Moses Boyd

1 Like