Love my system but always something is missing

Having actually owned SL2 and Ovator S600, and having heard the whole range of Titans, DBL, Magico etc, i have an idea too.

1 Like

FR, for the record, I didnā€™t say that you said the SL2s are crap.

And IMHO the limiting factor in the OPā€™s system is the set-up, not the speakers.

2 Likes

Well this thread has quickly escalated!

(says this SL2 owner).

1 Like

Those speakers are designed to be back-to-the-wall, and it necessary for correct performance.

1 Like

you are 90% right Nigel. But i feel the speakers tooā€¦

Does ā€œgreater wall separationā€ mean further apart from each other? I agree they should be pretty close to The wall - mine are

Praise indeedā€¦.

You wrongā€¦speakers are depending on how your room fit them,it depence your room size and your furniture, you can never guess how it will behave in different rooms,in electronics you can guess what is better but speakers never,an expensive one can sound hell in one room and heaven on a different room.

2 Likes

Mine are as close to the (solid) back wall as the skirting boards allow them. Thereā€™s just enough room to get speaker terminals into the crossover box.

They sound mighty fine to me and Iā€™m sure would be even better on the end of some 500 series kit.

if your room is not big, i am wrong. Itā€™s < 25m2?

if you have a little room, why you have bought a nap 500dr? My room is around 19m2 and i had to sell a nap300dr because it was too much for my room.

Because Nap500dr is better than 300dr its not all about power drive

some speakers to consider in average rooms. Good match with naim.
Devore Fidelity. Tad. Wilson Sophia.

2 Likes

I donā€™t understand how an amp is too much for a room. It might be better than you need for the speakers, and so not necessary, and it might be capable of playing louder than you need, but the actual sound level is mainly as set by the volume control irrespective of the power amp as many power amps have the same gain (e.g. I think all Naim power amps apart from the 500 have the same gain), while better ā€˜gripā€™ on the speaker drivers surely is never bad?

1 Like

in my case it was worse. The room could not accept too much bass. The sound was unbalanced.

Is the 250 rolled off at the bass end, then? (The specification suggests not.)

the 250dr gives a better balanced sound, less heavy and a bit quicker on my system. The sound is a bit leaner and the bass better integrated ( less overwhelming).
Overall itā€™s more musical in my room and with my speakers.

Itā€™s just the opposite in my room, the 250 (.2) (never had DR), is too heavy in the low medium and the result is a bit overwhelming, itā€™s only with the Kan and the IBL that I really had fun.
Once again, we were very dependent on our room.
Interesting thread

2 Likes

Yes, It is a fantastic room. Warm and interesting.

What a collection of hideous looking speakers!
:scream:

4 Likes