Love my system but always something is missing

Peder, Naim have always championed training of the dealer above all else. A document is a nice idea but every scenario is a little different and I’d guess there’s always been a fear that the many customers would be scared off by such a thing. Frankly, even I’m a bit concerned sometimes when I talk about massaging and flexing Burndy cables and that kind of thing. I imagine some might read that and think “crazy!”. Much better to train the dealer adequately and allow them to get on and do a great installation, and then if the customer wants to know more they can explain what they’re doing. Of course that’s the ideal. The reality is no doubt a bit different, with some dealers being really pro-active and doing some excellent installations, and some who need to take more care, and everything in between. Which is why it’s good to have the forum where Naim owners can come to discuss and learn about what can work and what doesn’t in Naim system installation. It’s a lot of what makes this place tick and have day to day relevance far beyond just the members who actively participate.

Meni, have you had Ilan Tamir over to yours to go over the setup?

Completely wrong.

Haaaaa …He is my Neighbor lives only 10 minutes walking to my apartment,he was many times ,did the best he could ,he’s okey,but I think I can still get better,by taking out the box between speakers and adding a second fraim to separate ps…thanks Richard Dane for your attention.

Focal with Naim is not my taste. Some like it. I found the sound bright .
I heard Focal with tube amps ( Lamm) and enjoyed a lot.
Wilson Benesh and Naim work great for me, as Sonus Faber, Apertura, and Wilson.
But each different tastes…

1 Like

what is wrong? that 552/500 are more resolving or that a majority of 552/500/ 555 have better speakers than SL2?
@Darkebear could answer, he heard the Sl2, DBL, S600 and S800.
@Bart has Magico, other nd555 owners have big Focal, Kudos 808, big Verity Audio ( @BertBird), Sopra 3 ( @jsaudio), Proac D28 ( Chag), Kudos T88 ( @ChrisBell), PMC 25( @Gazza), Proac D38( @malla), Neat M9 ( @Yeti), Pmc 20 ( @Richiero)…

Completely wrong that a pair of SL2 are not ‘up to’ the rest of the kit. I have heard SL2 destroy a pair of Titan T88 wirh a 552/500. Have you actually heard all the speakers we are talking about, or just repeating other people’s opinions?

a mix of the two.

so a lot of members are wrong and should have stayed with the SL2…

There’s a huge slice of personal preference with speakers. My friend much prefers his B&Ws to my SL2s. Neither of us is wrong

1 Like

So no then, you are just going by hearsay.

I have never heard SL2s but judging from their reputation they are surely transparent enough to show up deficiencies in the set up of this system.

So it is advisable to try to optimise the set up first which costs nothing (or very little) and see if this brings what the OP is missing.

Then once the system is set up as well as possible, look at the hardware.

1 Like

Interesting. Although i have heard everything from my Nait Kans LP12 1980s system, 6 pack Isobariks with JV at the factory (heaven) 3 NAP500 NBLs etc etc. We absolutely love our olive SBL system, all serviced and uptodate, rocks like a bstard, smooth and detailed as hell. Yes I know whats possible but never cease to be enthralled what we have now and don’t feel inclined to mess with it at all.

Martin

That’s very interesting that Jason has replaced his SL2s. He told me he didn’t envisage moving from them but I’m not surprised he went to 707s which I’ve always thought were a different league; good as the SL2s are.

i have heard SL2, Ovators S600, Wilson Sabrina, Magico S1 and A1, Focal Sopra 3, BW D3, and other as YG, top Focal, Kharma, …enough to have an idea.

Blimey, I have only got crappy Monitor Audio GX300 speakers. Amazed I can hear anything from my Monkfish of a system (ND555/552/250DR).

But I have always been a ‘source first’ bloke. Maybe that is where I am going wrong.

3 Likes

Heard the 707s a few weeks ago - dealer dem of active and passive Titans (505s, 606s and 707s tho I missed the 505s). Really liked them

I doubt you are going wrong, Nigel :blush:

Nigel, i have never said that SL2 are a crap. A lot enjoy them and they probably reveal more themselves with high quality electronics and source.
But at a certain point, like 552/500/ ND555/ top Melco, they are a limiting factor, because other speakers as those mentioned will reveal more all the possibilities of the 500 series amps and source.
For now you have the 250dr. But you will quickly get the 500dr, i feel it.
That day you will also quickly thinking of better speakers.
Or perhaps better stay as you are now…

No.