Love the 272 please update - 1 click like post

Let the speculation begin then…

• We don’t need an internal PS do we, so that will same some £ and also free up some space.
  • Maybe it can have an ARC input for TV connection.
  • It should be NDX2/ 282 quality but obviously much cheaper.

That should make it worth our wait.

The Atom HE seems like a brilliant product , I wonder how it compres with 5 or so years evolution to a 272 ?
Has anyone had the opportunity to listen to both ?

Dream on….

2 Likes

Assuming you want an analogue preamp, there are two choices. Top of the range is Vega G2 (2.1 now). With more facilities, such as WiFi, phono, internal server, but less sophisticated streamer/DAC, there is the new and cheaper Altair G2.1, which has the same preamp.

Roger

In which direction did the sound go from 272/555 to 282/SCDR/ND5XS2?

North !

2 Likes

The 272 is a brilliant piece and I’m content to wait out the next gen replacement. I have no interest in going back to a stack of boxes and quite content with my current 3 boxes and SQ they afford.

3 Likes

The 282/SCDR is awesome, hard to put into words what a great pre amp this combo is, fed by the ND5XS2 / MScaler/ Qutest the depth of the music is something I haven’t experienced before, simply stunning.

How do you think that would fair against an NDX2?

Sorry Mark I haven’t demoed the NDX2 in my home setup so I’m unable to comment on the differences.

No need…already smiling :blush:

Totally get that…having multiple boxes is a pain…(but sound quality is fantastic!)…I love the neat way 272 slots in…

1 Like

Thanks @Naim.Marketing - appreciate the update!

2 Likes

I am very pleased to read this. Hoping my bank account might not be so happy in the not so distant future.

Now wondering who to badger to sort out the worldwide supply issues so that Naim can release new products?

No problem, it gives me some time to save up, not too expensive though Naim, please?

Well, how good do you want it to be?

The ND5XS2/202 is about £5000 and the NDX2/282 is over £10000. If we assume that cost and SQ go together then where would it sit, I wonder? Perhaps somewhere in the middle, with the addition of a PS taking it to the next level.

Outside of the Naim world there is there is the dCS Bartok at around £12500 or even the Chord Dave at £9000 could be a competitor as most people at this level of geekiness have servers which could provide it with the necessary input.

The previous and much acclaimed Nac N272 cost less than a Nac 282 and that was without its necessary HiCap.

Also, I wouldn’t underestimate just how much you pay for the extra enclosure.

I wonder where the 272 sat in the product line before the new line of streamers was launched and wether it makes senses to add a replacement of the 272 to the current lineup? The 272 looked really like a bargain as it was priced the same as the NDX.

So basically the replacement modell could be designed to the NDX2 pricepoint, but of course this is only possible if the streamer/dac sits below the NDX2. I think that i’d love it to be at the NDX2 level, but that would make it just a NDX2 with an added volume knob…Not sure if Naim will go down that route even if it would be the perfect product for me.

I doubt it, there is a hierarchy to be maintained.
The last time I checked the Porsche sports car line up you could draw a ‘dead straight line’ through a performance/cost comparison between the Boxster/Cayman/911. Cynical Moi? (‘Miss Piggy’ Emoji required here.)

1 Like

Strange reasoning. Naim should of course build the best product like only they can do - not kill their brand.

If we continue your way of seeing it you could fairly reason NDX2/ND555 are aging products.