Love the 272 please update - 1 click like post

If it sounds as good as the old 272 but incorporating the new streamer functionality I’m sure that it will do OK. :0)

1 Like

What exactly do you mean by my way of seeing? And who talks about killing their brand? I was just trying to understand where a potential post-272 could sit in the current lineup compared to the lineup before the new streamers were launched.

Maybe you misread what i wrote: i don’t mean the replacement modell of the NDX2, i meant the potential replacement of the 272. I don’t think that the current streamers as aging products, quite the opposite in fact.

1 Like

I did a trial of The top Aurilac streamer the Aries G2.1 with the 272/555Dr at the local dealer recently. I was thinking of getting one to update my 272/555dr/250dr with the latest streaming software and perhaps to improve sound quality.

The app was very easy and rock solid to use.
In terms of the sound it made me realise just how good the 272/555 is. I was hard pressed to tell the difference in blind listening between the two streamers. Certainly the Aurilac was very involving and may have given a greater sense of depth and space, but overall it was not a “ night and day” experience.
I am prepared to wait as £4000 is a lot to pay for the latest streaming technology.

2 Likes

Seems very modest compared to the outlay for a 272/555 combo.

1 Like

Yes, but it was connected to the 272 and took over the streaming duties from it, retaining the DAC and preamp from the 272. So it was extra.

However I did listen the aurilac Vega G2.1 into a Chord Ultima 6 Amplifier. The Vega is the closest to the 272 in its function, having a DAC, Streamer and I think , a preamp, it sounded really good and at about £5250ish is cheaper than the 272/555 and has the latest streaming software. I could easily live that combination.

1 Like

Not for my money………having lived with both options. :blush:

But “yes” for my money and I, too, have lived for several years with both, well XPS rather than 555.

Roger

1 Like

You pays your money, you take your choice.
I can agree that the Auralic retrieves more detail, than Naim. However, the main difference for me, which tips me towards Naim is the more textured sound the brand produces. A more holographic, 3D sound. Like I said at the top……:blush:

2 Likes

Thanks Clare - enough said!
NAIM are “key workers” in a mental health kind of way, getting us through the pandemic!

In a perfect world, a retrofit into the current case (NDX2 screen, with pre-amp minus internal PSU as others have said)… the streaming buffer seems to be a pinch point too, presumably part of the uplift?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.