Love the 272 please update - 1 click like post

HH means that Naim’s MD told us in the forum that native Qobuz was coming and we are now waiting on that…

Best

David

1 Like

Thanks. That clarifies. cheers.

Thanks all for the great comments…my personal view is … it will be updated probably this coming year (2020)…just a gut feeling…Is it still possible to buy a new 272??? …

1 Like

Still listed on Naims website

1 Like

Bump

An upgaded 272 get my vote as well. I would be happy two versions - one with internal power supply ( but upgradable like the current 272) and version without an internal power supply that makes use of a XPS or 555 (better if both of the 555 PS outputs could be used in much the same way as the NDS

If only one choice - then I would vote for the version without the internal power supply

5 Likes

I have a feeling that Naim will quietly discontinue the 272 and leave it at that.

1 Like

The 272 is cheaper than a 202 and ND5XS2. Its also I believe better. Does it make sense for Naim to continue this product into another life cycle? Even at £5k it would represent a bargain if better than the 202/ND5XS2 which needs a power supply to work!

1 Like

An upgraded 272 tthat work with XPSDR/555DR would compete with the Linn KDSM and various other hi-end streaming boxes. So it should make sense.for Naim.

Add balanced outputs for active speakers (needs long cables) to make it perfect.

2 Likes

When I was at the factory and we asked the question…although the reply was noncommittal…I got the feeling by looking at their expressions…the question was no surprise…I am very hopeful that it will be updated. I think they want the current streamers to settle into the market…

5 Likes

I also asked at the factory visit I did a few months ago and got a similar noncommittal response. Naim know that there is a demand for the product. I am already saving the pennies for the upgrade that will hopfully come at some time soon

3 Likes

Bump

1 Like

50 likes so far is really good I think. That must be out of a very small slice of potential owners.

1 Like

Yeah I am chuffed…hope to keep it active for a while…to give Naimophiles a chance…

One with a phono stage as well…

Nooo!
Please no added extras that many people do not want.
Let them get a dedicated phono stage to suit their TT.

there’s a heck of a lot going on inside a 272, and no room for more functions:

Just imagine getting rid of that big transformer.
And having another set of power lines coming from a 2nd Burndy.
And dropping the pointless volume pot off the front.
And ditching the screen and front panel controls, which are redundant and are external things that can break.

Single-minded focus on SQ.
Noise reduction.
And giving the parts the space they need to work.

3 Likes

Yes - good point.

It would bring new owners who want less boxes into Naimworld - many of whom will get a PSU, and move onto separates.

So competing not just with Linn, but also directly with dCS Bartok.

A 372 plus 555DR would be about the same price as a Bartok, and would surely be way better.

So a 372 would sell a lot of lovely PSUs and other kit for Naim, as well as the 372s.

So the accountants who get to have their say on this possibility should plug all those other effects into their spreadsheet…

As a SU owner I’m having a hard time not going the 250DR–> 272 upgrade path so I do hope they upgrade the 272.

1 Like

A powered socket would be good, if not a full phono stage. There is already an awful lot of stuff inside to be able to squeeze in an actual stage.

1 Like

This is unlikely to happen.
It contravenes Naim’s notion that the NAC and NAP are two halves of your amp.