Love the 272 please update - 1 click like post

How about an active section to drive two 250DR amps.

So new 372 powered by XPS or 555 internal PSU removed with active outputs or standard output to amp(s)

A four box active setup!

And a power amp stage.

Not just the 272, but also the 172. I have a range of Naim equipment, dating back to its inception. Sadly it appears the commitment to upgrading seems to have dropped off.

Indeed the display on mine has faded, and as many have commented £300 and 3 weeks or so away from home do not seem like much of a customer commitment.

After 40 years of being a Naim customer, with products from all of those decades, I’m not sure Julian would be comfortable with the current position.

1 Like

Actually personally I wouldn’t buy a 372 if it didn’t have the volume control on the front…

4 Likes

Nor would I. We use it a lot. Who wants to rummage around for their remote or phone all the time? It’s like saying take the volume control off all the preamps.

5 Likes

+1 I like the volume knob. Hell, I still like remote controls too.

I thought that might not be popular.

My rationale is that anything that does not improve SQ should be removed to focus the resources used in the manufacture and design of the product on the listening experience.

I expect that everyone using a 372 would mainly control it with a tablet or phone, and sit a few metres away from the box.

So the knob twiddling and front panel button pressing is expendible.

But I don’t expect to win this argument, so am happy to drop that aspect of it.

But the idea of lauching a 372 for Naim with no internal PSU and twin Burndy inputs would be something that would make a very public statement within the industry that Naim remains strongly committed to pushing the limits of very high quality digital streaming.

Yes I agree with that. But I really like having the volume controls on the front of my 272 and my two SuperUnitis.

The serious point is that Naim have to find the balance which appeals to enough people at that price point. That’s hard.

1 Like

You mean like having a separate preamp, with a separate preamp power supply connected off board with a separate streamer :wink:

I.e and ND5XS2 or NDX2 connected to a 282 with a HCDR, or 252 with a SCDR :wink:

1 Like

Yes - a multi box solution.
Let’s call it ‘the separates line’!

1 Like

Hard, but doable.

Here’s a strange idea - how about Naim do bundle pricing??

i.e. if you buy a 372, 555 and NAP they give you a large discount?

Dealers do that is my experience.

One thing I wonder is how expensive a true analogue preamp path (as there is in the 272) is versus an internally digitised analogue input path (like in the Nova).

The fact that the Unitis have internally digitised analogue inputs makes me think that that must be cheaper or more compact to implement. And it strikes me that in the envisioned kind of 372 product, really very good indeed (digitised) performance from the analogue inputs is probably good enough, even if it’s not the finest (pure analogue) performance possible.

Potentially more budget/space in the box to really push the DAC etc if so.

Yes, I suppose that’s what the dealer’s margin is for.
Just thinking aloud really…

I think a NDX2 plus volume control using an external PS with an optional headphone amp would fit the bill nicely.

Since these are made to order an internal power supply could be an option along with the phono stage from SN3.

We could always ask Santa for a fibre module to avoid the ‘streaming cable mania’ as well.

Problem solved :flushed:. Roll on 2020 for delivery :joy:

CK

PS Maybe add a sparkly bottom for good measure

2 Likes

Ok, I have added my ‘Click’ and hope it comes into production some time in the near future.

I would love to have one to front a pair of ATC SMC40A speakers! …one can dream…

1 Like

You really think that boutique fibre optic cables wouldn’t hit the market if fibre became popular? Then there would be boutique SFPs. We already have boutique media converters.

The 272 is so much more than a streamer with a volume control. It’s a top notch analogue preamp. I have my Naim tuner and Rega turntable connected, which isn’t going to happen with an NDX2 with a volume knob. Linn have dropped their KDS and now only to the KDSM, which has analogue inputs as well as digital.

4 Likes

Me too .

Maybe the boutique fibre optic cables could be named streaming optics :joy: