Love the 272 please update - 1 click like post

That’s good you seem to have that pretty much well sorted. What router are you using… I have experimented replacing cheap switched mode power supplies and it has made a very nice difference particularly to timbre and spaciousness… try replacing your router psu with a linear try one of these…

they are not expensive but are very good…

3 Likes

Thanks Richie. I’ve been trying to steer clear of the LPS rabbit hole, but happy to try at that price.

My router is a Linksys EA6350. My recently upgraded fibre internet connection seems to require use of the ISP’s own router, so this now feeds the Linksys. Both routers are on iFi PSUs, which offer some improvement over stock. Oh, and I’ve also got a second Cisco 2960 on order, because why not? : )

It’s ironic but also inevitable, I suppose. As a previous owner of a Naim active system, I’ve been impressed by my relative restraint this time around (only three Naim boxes on the main rack). But at this current rate, I’ll end up with another 20 assorted boxes in the next room…

1 Like

Hey Rich - what do you use these for?

With apologies for the slight OT, if you like Neu!, you may enjoy some friends of mine (they’ve been compared by others who know ore than I do about such comparisons!). Einstellung (click the name for a link).

1 Like

Thank you. I will take a listen

Hi yeah the 3 box 272 with 250dr is sweet…enjoy…dont underestimate the effect of the ethernet chain…

Have had the 272 for little more than a week now joining my 250DR replacing Supernait 2 (and 3). I’m really satisfied with the update. So much more control and definition with my Harbeths and they sound so much more relaxed and never getting close to sounding stressed. Recommended upgrade if you run Harbeths or other low sensitivity speakers.

1 Like

I’m starting to believe in it. If only there was a forum thread with useful info on ethernet cables & switches :rofl:

2 Likes

Go to streaming section of forum check out… ‘Ethernet switch and cables mania’

Yep, I read most of that thread. Sort of wish I hadn’t.

6 Likes

It is the sort of thing you just can’t unsee :joy:

4 Likes

You don’t need any of that stuff to get going. Any ethernet cables will work fine and if you need a switch because your router is too far from your Naim, then the Netgear GS105 which costs about £25 still works just as well as before people discovered pre-used Cisco units.

Then once you’ve got it all working if you want to spend money and time tweaking, then that’s the time to read that thread. But personally I haven’t bothered!

Best

David

2 Likes

I think you are right that switch is a reasonable base line…

Expensive Ethernet switches and cables are a bit like the emperor’s new clothes IMO. Heck there are massively expensive “Ethernet audio regeneration” switches so presumably if you start with Tom Baker at your NAS which due to poor cable morphs into Colin Baker at the business end, this switch will reinstate Tom Baker, heaven forbid without introducing any Sylvester McCoy! (Apologies for the Dr Who analogy.)

I have no specific technical background, but these things are measurable, so it tells me everything I need to know that these devices and cables don’t, as far as I have seen, come with any objective evidence that confirms they do what they claim, and where I have seen them independently tested, they don’t measure any differently to bog standard versions.

So I’m not about to crawl under my floorboards to replace my Cat5e cable with massively expensive new stuff, and would rather save that money to spend on a new 272 instead and trust that it’s DAC will sort out any problems.

5 Likes

Its great!
I went the opposite direction to cut the box count. I actually found SN 2 quite enjoyable. They have different presentations. 272 have better absolute definition,but the emotion and vocal on SN 2 is simply superb. I was fully expecting slight downgrade but in the end, SN2 really stood on it’s own.

1 Like

SN2 is no slouch indeed. There are things I miss with it compared to my 272/250DR setup but in the end the later is a better combo with my low sensitivity Harbeths that really enjoy more power/gain/control. I’ve had all Supernaits by now and none of them bring life to my Harbeths as my current 272/250DR combo.

I agree on SN2 and emotions. There’s something to it not being traditional high end HIFI that is unique to my ears that also SN3 lacks. Great amp. It all comes down to matching, taste, preferences as always :slight_smile:

I would like to add on my system and ethernet network … when I replaced a cheap little gigabit switch powered with an ifi supply … with an Aqvox SE switch … it made a huge difference - especially to bass texture power and detail. But I would not push people to do this - start with something resonable … you can always try it later.

1 Like

Absolutely new to forum but not the 272 great

3 Likes

Welcome… hope you have enjoyed this thread​:wave::wave:

If I want to use my 272 as a streamer and dac only connected to my SN3 I just use line out from the 272 and connect to a line in input in my SN3, right? Normally I would just go for it but with all special things Naim I’m always afraid doing something bad…