Love the 272 please update - 1 click like post

I’m sure that would work but imo it’d be a waste of an excellent pre amp.

Just temporary. I have upgraded to 272/250DR but I’d like to compare to my former SN3 before selling it.

I spoke with Naim and they assured me that the software upgrade to the 272 was not possible due to hardware limitations. I was very disappointed as the 272 was my planned upgrade. Totally screwed my plans.

Dave

I’ve noticed the chassis on my 272 rings with certain frequencies. My 250DR doesn’t. Is this normal? I put a record weight on it and that stopped it but seems strange that Naim that should be nit picky about the tiniest vibration didn’t solve such an easy thing? Makes one wonder what is myth and reality.

The munich show has been cansled because of the corona outbreak so it will not be at that show.

@david1111. Not sure what software upgrade you are referring to, but the 272 is quite old tech now and won’t support the functionality or features of the newer streamers; the purpose of this thread is to ask Naim to upgrade the 272 with new streaming functionality to match all their other streamers. You can still get most of the functionality via Roon or other third party services, but that is extra cost as the 272 doesn’t support this natively. If Naim don’t update the 272 there are no shortage of alternatives. I never got to listen to the Matrix Audio Element X, but I do wish I had done as that is competitively priced and I understand it’s paper performance is amongst the very best, regardless of cost, although whether that equates to being the best sounding is something I haven’t put to the test.

I recently bought a used 272 and I’m already impressed. I’m also getting a 555 power supply soon, and am wondering how much better it can get, as it’s already pretty impressive. If the 272 is replaced then I can always trade up keeping the power supply.

1 Like

It’s so much better with the 555DR that you’ll be amazed. It’s just more natural and engaging. But then, so it should given the cost of the 555. It’s very very heavy too, so you get a lot for your money. Don’t forget you’ll need to buy a Burndy wire.

The 555DR on the 272 is excellent and highly recommended if Naim do bring out a new 272 it will have to be something special for me to part with my existing 272/555DR even though the 555 will stay.

1 Like

Ditto.

My 272/555DR sounds super-realistic on the acoustic jazz I listen to.

I mentioned the other day that what I’m looking for in music is the feeling that the band’s actually playing in the room, and my 10 year old daughter said, ‘Oh, it’s much better than that’.

And I haven’t even sorted out getting a upnp stream to it yet, via either an Innuous, a Sonore upnp Bridge, a NAS or similar.

Someone said that at Bristol there was a ‘show discount of 25% off’ 272s. That might suggest that a revised version is in the offing.

Actually, getting a new product out on a quiet day might be a better idea than in the middle of a huge hifi show where it will get lost in the noise.

I only have a lowly XPS DR connected to my 272 however with a few recent tweaks it’s never sounded better. To me it’s now at a point where I don’t think I’ll go any further, rather than continually worrying about the next stage.

I’m now just listening to music.

11 Likes

That’s the spirit Pete it’s the music that counts :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great idea, I’m at the content stage too.

1 Like

This is the beauty of the 272 … a standard one sounds great and you can sit there and think wow and enjoy the music. However with the top psu it becomes astounding … but that said it is not essential. A two box setup is still highly enjoyable… enjoy…

3 Likes

I think it’s a wonderful amp that suits my needs, I only stream local files and it works very well with my Muso and Atom. You could spend all your life (and money) chasing something that you may never be happy with. Lifes too short.

3 Likes

The 272/555DR fed from a local upnp-server (Twonky) is certainly past my ”good enough” point.

I get the occasional flashback and drag out the old preamps but always fall back to the simple 272-system.

2 Likes

I’ve said it on another thread imo the 272 is the best value pre amp in Naims catalog. I use to own the olive 102 and the 272 was a huge jump forward, more than I expected. Any replacement for the 272 will be twice the price or 1/2 the amp.

1 Like

@WeekendWarrior
I’ve read so many great things about the 272. When you put the 555 with it, it’s going to be fantastic.
And you’re right, there are quite a few ways to get at the new streaming tech. I’ve also heard a lot of good press on the Supernait 2 and 3. So, I thot I might pair one of those with an NDX 2, to cover the streaming issues. There’s no FM radio, only iradio, but I still have a Rega Radio R I could use.
In the end, I may decide to stay with a one box setup and pick up a Uniti Nova; and tho it sounds very good, I know that I would be leaving some superior sound capabilities/upgrades on the table.
Anyway, I’ll have to think about it, I’m pretty patient with this sort of thing.
Hmmm … NDX 2/power supply/Supernait 3 would probably sound nice …
Cheers.

Dave

When I upgraded my main system from the Nova, I took that route in the end with a SN2. I was quite keen on the 272, but wanted the modern internet streaming solution. If it’s replaced, getting a run out stock of the 272 would be a bargain.

2 Likes

Will the XPSDR bring anyway near the same improvements to the 272 as the 555DR? XPSDR is roughly half the price of 555. Easier to accept given the fairly low cost of the 272 today. (To me)

I’ve not heard it with the 555PS however judging by the difference the XPS DR had on my mine I’d say it’s incremental. Strangely enough (and this is going upset at least one member) my dealer suggested adding the SL speaker cables would be more beneficial.

1 Like