Love the 272 please update - 1 click like post

Is it not simple to make an upgrade?
It is a stand alone cartridge inside I believe.
Then it is possible to change it, not?

No, it’s a bit more integrated than that, especially when it comes top overall firmware, so upgrading an old NAC-N272 to the latest platform is not a straightforward job - it would need a more extensive re-design.

It would be nice if they build a new n272SR and it would be possible to upgrade a old one. Just like the amplifiers to a DR version.
For that they also switch complete main boards.

1 Like

In readiness for the inevitable lockdown in response to the C19 global hysteria, I’ve taken the only sensible precautions possible. I’ve ordered a server that stores my music collection and also operates as a powerful Roon core, Roonifying my 272 over the network (via inbuilt Sonore bridge). Alternatively I can connect said server directly to a 272 digital input and use Roon or Squeebox into the 272’s DAC. Will be interesting which is the better option. I just hope my 555 also arrives before the madness begins. Better than loo roll!

3 Likes

Thanks all…for the replies and kind thoughts…perhaps there will be some traction I am still hopefull :sunglasses:

I hope so too, but admit I gave up waiting and bought an ND555 instead.

2 Likes

Wow…that’s an upgrade well done!!! What preamp are you using???

Ok NAIM, given we are all stuck at home, now would be a good time. Just saying… @Richard.Dane perhaps you could give them a little nudge?

1 Like

Maybe they have decided to retool it into DAC, Streamer, Pre-amp and non-invasive Ventilator. That will help with the hangovers from all the Aussie red I am going to put away while confined to barracks :nauseated_face:

Those Aussie reds will certainly help pass the time. :+1:

They just today brought in a 12 bottle purchase limit … fortunately naim owners over here have well stocked cellars

The only thing we can be certain of is uncertainty.

1 Like

blimey that is source first ! what were you using before, and how does the mighty ND555 sound compared to that.

Has your new server arrived?
If so - How do you like it? Which option did you go for: direct digital input or over the internet?

I had a major box and wire reduction, 2 years ago, when I went from 252/SCDR/300dr/ndx/nDac into Dynaudio Contour 3.4?, and went with Auralic Vega G2, into ATC SCm 40 actives. I have never wanted to go back. I did have a demo at the time of 272, plus XPS, but the Auralic won easily. The ATC,s are wonderful , I have subsequently added a Melco n100 and d100 for ripping and storage. these are also very impressive,
Now very happy.

2 Likes

Which server?

Hi Analogmusic, I had a 272, XPS with a 250 before. I never thought I was missing anything, but my dealer tempted me with a refurbished ND555. I have a self imposed box restriction, so I am using just the Supernait 3, and although I am only 300 hours in, it’s much better, as it should be at the price. The ND555 just gives me a sense of hearing everything on the recording and presents it all in such a beautiful way.
My dealer knew I was hanging out for a new 272, so I could get the advantages of the new streaming platform, but this came along and it’s such a beautiful sound. Of course I am sure better amplification would give me more, but having been happy with a Supernait 2, before the streaming need came along, I am totally bewitched by the ND555 Supernait 3 combination.

6 Likes

@Camphuw, @JimDog
It’s Audiostore Prestige 3 MX with 8GB and is directly connected to my 272 via a digital input. That means I can use either it’s inbuilt Squeezbox implementation or Roon (at the flick of a virtual switch) without having to mess around with the Sonore bridge. If that’s not enough, because the Prestige is connected to the same network as the 272 I can also use the Naim app to access it’s contents, and my old NAS is still connected to the network so I can access that too. Phew that’s a lot of choices! Suffice to say that the 272 can now do anything I want, and am likely to want in the future, and the Prestige is plenty powerful enough to cope with almost anything I can throw at it.

So what do I think. Well first of all, I’m sold on Roon. The UI is just so much better than the Naim app, squeebox or anything else I have used and already I can’t imagine going back. The bad news is that’s more cost.

As for SQ, well I am a firm believer that bits are bits, and that anything you do upstream of the player (other than the quality of the recording of course) is a waste of time and money; I’ve tried a few such tweeks and noticed no difference at all. So being an old sceptic I asked my daughter to listen to the same music via the Naim app/network vs the Premier/direct connection and she preferred the latter, and I probably did too although I could be just imagining it.

For me it was a no brainer really as my NAS is 10 years old and in need of replacement, and a music server brings the 272 up to date with the latest features. The reason I chose the Prestige over it’s competitors was because of the Sonore bridge (even though I probably won’t use it), the processing capacity and because it offers NAS functions (store pictures and - vitally - work documents etc) and so was able to justify it as a business purchase. Also, Martin at Audiostore is very helpful and knowledgeable too.

2 Likes

thanks for the feedback. You have validated the source first approach.

2 Likes

I had not thought of using the Prestige as a NAS. Good idea.
For me, the QNAP it replaced resulted in an improved sound quality experience to my NDS.
Have you considered a linear power supply for it?
Martin says that they should be available in April - COVID-19 permitting.

In addition, I use a RPi + HAT for a direct connection to a Unitiqute, but I’m awaiting delivery of another RPi so that I can run a LMS2Upnp setup for a couple of other ‘Qutes.